Chain sharpening issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Pro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I haven't learned to save posts before submitting them and had another one eaten. I won't be as detailed, simply to the point.

359 3/8 full chisel on 20" bar. Has always been nice and aggressive. Eats wood, but it's been a bit chattery/grabby for some time now. I know that recently I took the rakers down too far. I now have a Sharp Force to help me and am pretty sure the teeth are now low enough to match the rakers. Recently I hit something and really beat up some of the cutters. I tuned it up with the sharp force and all should be well, but it is not. I know some of the teeth are much shorter due to damage. It is very grabby and when it bites in it is cussing and swearing time The link(s) that bites seems to really grab hold. For quite some time now I have had an issue with using the dawgs. If I let the dawgs contact the log it will catch and bog almost guaranteed.

Short of just trying a different chain any suggestions?

My 345 was also used on the job that messed up the 359. It has .325 semi chisel on a 16" bar. I touched it up and while it cuts decent, I find that I need to push down quite hard to make it cut.

Thinking it's time for a gauge and to do all by hand? That or I've been thinking of a power sharpener, but tehn I have the whole 3/8-.325 dilemna...

For setting the raker height the file-o-plate is nice and cheap. If you think that having some short cutter is causing you fits you could try taking them all down to the same size since it wont work now anyway. What do you have to lose? On the 345 if you have to push hard you probably need to lower the rakers or sharpen more if it is not razor sharp. Do you file by hand? I use the el chepo Oregon jig thingy that keeps my angles close to the same and then the file-o-plate for raker height every few times I sharpen. Since you damaged your chain pretty good I would pay to have it sharpened so you get back to each tooth being pretty close to the same size and angle.

Diesel - it would be extremely helpful if you could post several photos with close ups of your chain. That said; I would tell you that you must make all the cutters the same length FIRST. Then use a guide to take your rakers down where needed.
Since you've kind of tried doing individual cutters rather than the whole; you need now to find the shortest cutter (use a caliper) with the lowest raker and make that the "boss" make all the other ones match that one after you touch that one up and make the raker correct on IT.

I'm assuming this is a round ground oem chain not square.

The fellas :bowdown: can give more/better advice but that's mine.

-br

Without seeing the chain, it seems like you may well have a raker height issue. Invest in a file-o-plate, their cheap under five bucks, set your rakers at .025, try to file them close to the same profile as they were originally, are you just filing them off flat? Even thought we try to keep each cutter close to the same length as possible, we have chains, that we have hit nails or wire with and have some teeth that are considerably shorter than others and don't see the kind of problem your having. If your having to use considerable pressure on a saw to get it to cut, the chain is either dull or the rakers are too high. I've seen more raker height issues with people learning to hand file than tooth angle issues. People are usually close on the angles, but forget to address the rakers. Oregon has a good link on the subject. Do a search here, there's enough to keep you reading for a while. Been hand filing for over thirty years, personally I hate the attachments, the fop is the only thing I use, have patience and use a new chain as a visual guide and file your chain without any thing but a file and handle, within two chains, you'll be a pro.

I have one of the tools listed below. Theoretically they should get the rakers set etc all in one. In the past they have done well, I just hit a point where I may need to take the chain in and have it touched up. I realy shouldn't have to though as my guide should keep me in line.

I do have the individual files as well.

http://www.forestapps.com/pferd/pferdtool.htm

4b424d85de365_138038n.jpg

Last edited:
Knock your cutters back to the same length as the shortest ones. Should get you back on the road to not so grabby.........Bob

TRY the --Never grab chain sharpening technique

Was given a saw with the complaint--- IT JUST WON"T CUT, Even after I sharpened the chain. He said with pride -- Once you get the saw running right, you've got three good chains.

Attached is the chain. This guy is an engineer-- by degree, not by intelligence. Needless to say, I threw away the three chains he gave me.

I have one of the tools listed below. Theoretically they should get the rakers set etc all in one. In the past they have done well, I just hit a point where I may need to take the chain in and have it touched up. I realy shouldn't have to though as my guide should keep me in line.

I do have the individual files as well.

http://www.forestapps.com/pferd/pferdtool.htm

4b424d85de365_138038n.jpg

I like these too. The one's Bailey's sell are blue.

I haven't learned to save posts before submitting them and had another one eaten. I won't be as detailed, simply to the point.

359 3/8 full chisel on 20" bar. Has always been nice and aggressive. Eats wood, but it's been a bit chattery/grabby for some time now. I know that recently I took the rakers down too far. I now have a Sharp Force to help me and am pretty sure the teeth are now low enough to match the rakers. Recently I hit something and really beat up some of the cutters. I tuned it up with the sharp force and all should be well, but it is not. I know some of the teeth are much shorter due to damage. It is very grabby and when it bites in it is cussing and swearing time The link(s) that bites seems to really grab hold. For quite some time now I have had an issue with using the dawgs. If I let the dawgs contact the log it will catch and bog almost guaranteed.

Short of just trying a different chain any suggestions?

My 345 was also used on the job that messed up the 359. It has .325 semi chisel on a 16" bar. I touched it up and while it cuts decent, I find that I need to push down quite hard to make it cut.

Thinking it's time for a gauge and to do all by hand? That or I've been thinking of a power sharpener, but tehn I have the whole 3/8-.325 dilemna...

I've softened the pitch of my sharpening on troubled chains and had some smoothing.

Back