chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite way of sharpening your chains

• Electirc chainsaw sharpener

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • Dremmel tool

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Hand file

Votes: 166 79.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought this would be interesting as everyone has there own method of getting the sharpest chain !!!

Last edited:
A good idea for a poll - something I was gonna do myself
But it's a pity you didn't add some of the specific filing options
eg
Hand file
File-and-joint
Filoplate
Husky roller guide
Oregon Guide

Also 12V grinder as well as dremel.

For round ground chain I use a
- grinder when the chain gets beat up from hitting a rock or metal
- either am Oregon guide (usually) and sometimes a 12V rotary chain sharpener for touching up

For square ground chain I use a
- modified File-and joint to hold the special file for reforming the angles.
- bare file to touch up

So mostly I use files

Bob I had a feeling hand filing was going to lead the pack , I got away from it and have been using the dremel tool , its so much faster and you would think it would get the chain just as sharp but I'm starting to wonder if the file gets a sharper edge , I'll have to experiment some , after sharpening with the dremel it seems like the saw is sharp but I don't feel the saw pulling itself through the wood like it should . I thought there would be more dremel users but the poll just got started.

The only time i use a grinder is when i rock a chain real bad. And sometimes i'll take a couple swipes with a hand file after grinding.

I only use hand files. And in free hand.

It gives the best result and I would not want to carry anything more with me than a file.
With enough practice, a hand file is also faster than most other methods.

Bob I had a feeling hand filing was going to lead the pack , I got away from it and have been using the dremel tool , its so much faster and you would think it would get the chain just as sharp but I'm starting to wonder if the file gets a sharper edge , I'll have to experiment some , after sharpening with the dremel it seems like the saw is sharp but I don't feel the saw pulling itself through the wood like it should . I thought there would be more dremel users but the poll just got started.

How do you determine sharpness, I hope it is not by feel?
Check out this post about when a chain feels sharp but it's still not sharp.

If the saw is not self feeding that's because you don't have enough hook. It sounds like the bit is not in the correct position. If it is positioned correctly, try using a slightly larger grinding bit.

I can touch up a chain by hand almost as quickly as with a dremel or 12V sharpener. Do you move the dremel to the cutter, or the cutter to the dremel? Standing in the one place and reaching further and further out along the bar with your arm with a dremel hanging of the end is not ideal. You should pull the cutters towards you so the blunt cutter is in the same position and so you use the same arm/hand position every time, its the same as for hand filing.

If your hand filing is way slower than using a dremel it sounds like you just need to practice your hand filing. :)

The people that take years to learn how to file are usually those that use and file a CS on a very occasional basis, or the type of person that picks up hammers from either end. My dad could teach pretty well anyone to file a mangled chain completely free hand pretty well over a period of about 3 weeks but they had to practice 2-3 hours a day in their own time. He used to give them mangled chains to take home every night and they had to bring them back the next day. When they bought back perfect chains 3 days in a row they could stop! Most people took between 2 and 3 weeks to get there but some did it in less than a week. Folks like my dad had to really learn how to hand file they were falling 8-10 big (~8-12' diameter) karris a day and had to touch up after every tree They had no grinders back at the mill and had enough to carry around the bush (two big Macs with 42" bars, fuel/oil, and a box of steel wedges and an axe) without carrying extra chains.

What's your sawdust look like? Is it dustier or does it have nice chips in it like it did when you were hand filing? If it's dustier then what depth rakers are you using and do you use progressive raker depths?

I voted hand file, the chains I grind are filed before using.
Is it normal for square ground to cover the clutch cover with fine sawdust? this is a new chain and my first time using square.

I do both.Dremel when In the field(rechargeable li-ion) but when I hit something I change the chain and file it when I get home.I find that a dremel with a stone keeps a keen edge just like on a knife.

PS.The chain that hits a nail or stone gets separated from all the other chains and is used when I might hit some crap again,like when I help a friend with a yard tree or take down an old barn.
DON

I use a hand file. Much easier to just carry a file when your working in the forest away from the workshop or car.
I give the cutters a quick touch up every tank or 2 & when the cutters get to about 50% of their life I take it to the dealer for a sharpen. Then its back with the file till it reaches the end of its life.

Freehand file from day one... when I was about 10 or 12. I was handed a "file-o-plate", by my Grandpa to set raker depth... that is the only sharpening "tool" I have used other than files...

You learn very quick where your shortcoming are in chain filing when doing freehand. Now I can eyeball everything, including raker depth.

It's not rocket science, been doin' it for 30 years... my chains spit pretty good chips... :) But I'm sure I still make mistakes now and again.

Gary

I got a fellow who had been hand filing since Noah played with chisels to show me. Seems to work well enough and it's pretty quick too.

The poll was cool but I use all 3. Most of um I hand file. I hand file all of mine and my son's. When you bring me a saw to work on I throw in a chain sharpening. If you been cutting rock I use the electric grinder. I just got the Dremel set at an auction me and the boy went to to buy an old 35 Mac.

Like I said I've been filing all my own chains for 40 years by hand. I must do a pretty good job cause everybody and there brother brings me theirs to sharpen. That's why I got the Foley-Belsaw grinder, but I don't like to use it on my stuff.

I'm going to try out that little Dremel thing and see how it works and may start using it. Keep um sharp and keep um cutting that's the name of the game. People that don't know how to sharpen run um way to long before they bring um in to me so you never know what you going to get. Saw on and saw safe my friends.:chainsaw:

I only use hand files. And in free hand.

It gives the best result and I would not want to carry anything more with me than a file.
With enough practice, a hand file is also faster than most other methods.

Yup , even a rocked chain is just a few more stokes/cutter, and you can do it in the woods without pulling the bar/chain.

I mainly grind my chains but occasionally file.
The last few days I was tree felling I filed all my chains (2 weeks back).
In my experience (and other's - in harder wood at least), I've found ground chains seem to wear a bit better. What I found is that ground chains do wear a bit better, but filed chains tend to cut a bit nicer to start with.
I'm sure in soft woods there would be no difference. I use a Vallorbe file guide and Vallorbe files when filing.

I use a file. Angle and hook were never a problem, but depth was. The roller guide works for me. Keeps me from running too deep.

I found a dull file made things worse for me. Let me slip deeper. A sharp file made things better.

What about the sharpeners that you can find on ebay for around 40.00????

Back