chain spinning tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i seem to wear out the spinner/anvil very fast. my spun rivits look factory for the first 100ft roll or 2 but after that they just go down hill. i put grease on the spinner end and only crank the back handle as i'm spinning. how long should the spinner/ anvil last? any tips to make it last longer? i've gone through 3 tips spinning about 5 rolls of chain.

Ive done a lot of chain cutting and the spinner anvil last almost forever i will say.Do you have the right tip for a .325 chain lets say ?There are different sizes.3 tips for 5 rolls of chain is way too much.I would say the tip was good for sure 10 of 100' rolls.I cant tell why you wear them so fast.What is happening,the rivet comes with a flat head instead of roundish one?Maybe you tighten tha handle too much.

I've had the same problem; and, I guess its because I probably spin them too long, wanting to be sure it 'looks good' like the other rivets. But, hey, the tips only cost about $5 and I feel 'safer' by spinning them completely. So I think its a small price to pay for 'being sure' of the spinning job.

Hi Ken, I seem to break them when their new, but I continue to use them and they still form the rivet nicely. I form the rivet progressively going clockwise and counterwise. Most of the time I reuse the peened out rivet as I find it's strong enough and I don't have to make a career out of forming a new rivet, but there is a technique to that too.
John

I got the replacement anvil from Msg supply,which by the way is not the correct length for the Oregon spinner,but with the help of my die grinder,worked nicely.
I doubt if I've spun more than 50 loops with it but it does a good job,so far.
The chain in the picture is 71 dl s of .050 by 3/8". The danged Macs ,while running an 8 tooth makes a 72 driver too long and a 70 driver too short,geeze. :rolleyes: A 72 driver will work on the Stihls 7 or 8 tooth,hooray. :cool:

Latest posts

Back