Chain / sprocket question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have 3 saws that use 3/8 lo pro chain ( oregon 91 chain), I buy this chain by the roll. I would like to be able to use this chain on my 346XP. I have a 3/8 rim for the 346, but the rim is meant for Oregon 72 or 73 chain.

Can I run 3/8 lo pro (oregon 91) on this rim?

I will adapt a 16" bar from a 136 to fit the 346.

Isn't 3/8 lo pro actually .365" or something, not .375"--at least at Bailey's, thats the case if you look at the chain.

That's what I've come to understand from this site, as well. I've not measured for myself, but I DO think the two "3/8" chains are different in TRUE pitch.

TF, I have ran a 3/8LP bar and chain with a 3/8 rim sprocket without any problems on a 60cc saw before.
The only difference I noticed was the drive link size Big v/s small V v, same distance between drive links.

Look at the drive link counts for a reel.

100’ Reel 30LP Saw Chain (.365 x .050 - 1640 Drive Links)

100' Reel of Oregon 72LG X(.375 x .050 - 1640 Drive Links)

Last edited:
TF, I have ran a 3/8LP bar and chain with a 3/8 rim sprocket without any problems on a 60cc saw before.
The only difference I noticed was the drive link size Big v/s small V v, same distance between drive links.

Look at the drive link counts for a reel.

100’ Reel 30LP Saw Chain (.365 x .050 - 1640 Drive Links)

100' Reel of Oregon 72LG X(.375 x .050 - 1640 Drive Links)

I wrapped some chain around the rim, It seems to fit well, but the drivers are not as deep as the 73 chain (like you said, big V vs. small v). I'm gonna try it, thanks.

Last edited:
That's what I've come to understand from this site, as well. I've not measured for myself, but I DO think the two "3/8" chains are different in TRUE pitch.

They are the same pitch, both are actually .367.....:) :ices_rofl:

...and .325 ain't .325 either, more like .313 or so, I think.....

Yeah... but who in their right mind would run low pro on an 066 Niko???

Gary

Millers and log house builders, chain breakages are known to happen, at least among the last category.........:greenchainsaw:

Stihl sells the 660 set up that way (also) here, as the MS660 Logosol.......

Last edited:
Millers and log house builders, chain breakages are known to happen, at least among the last category.........:greenchainsaw:

Stihl sells the 660 set up that way (also) here, as the MS660 Logosol.......

The same bar/chain combination is used by Logosol (www.logosol.com) on their electrical E4000 / E5000 / E6000 powerhead for the Logosol portable mill. Bar / chain can be used directly on the Stihl 066/660 also sold with this system.

I have this mill myself, and for 5 years still no chain break has been seen. I have the E5000 powerhead, and it delivers 11-13 hp peak.

Last edited:
Just curious Esbjug, you have to have access to wood that is larger than what you have described, to have use for a 372xp, and a mill........;)

Just curious Esbjug, you have to have access to wood that is larger than what you have described, to have use for a 372xp, and a mill........;)

The mill is very nice for any building project! I mill about 50 m3 each year, mostly spruce.

The Husqvarna 372XP really not needed here, but is is great for felling large pine and birch (40-70 cm root diameter) found on my farm. I also have some maple trees here. This saw is also great for firewood too large for the firewood processor. Very fast compared to the 50 ccm range saws.

The Husqvarna 372XP really not needed here, but is is great for felling large pine and birch (40-70 cm root diameter) found on my farm. I also have some maple trees here. This saw is also great for firewood too large for the firewood processor. Very fast compared to the 50 ccm range saws.

Yes, I know - I have a 372xpg (not even run in yet, as winter suddenly appeased right after I got it) - but you described your wood as much smaller in one of your posts, so I wondered........:cheers:

We should have been at the cottage, sawing wood now, but Witchy is ill, so no-go.....
:bang: :bang: :(

:computer:

Last edited:
Most of the firewood I produce, is in the 10-40 cm diameter range. Up to about 30 cm, the Hakki Pilke (70 cm blade and single sylinder splitter) is used. I also have a Moelven (vertical 125 mm sylinder, 22 tonnes) combined cutter and splitter. A nice machine, doing a lot of pain to the firewood! Great for fast drying.

Was just out using the 346 XP cutting what was left from last weeks milling. I also have to start the 372XP later today to cut some large birch.

Something like this one?

From another tread:

attachment.php

This picture was posted in another tread, but it was really meant to be here.

It shows the Queen with 20" bar, and its first victim - the tree went down pretty fast after the picture was taken.

SawWitch is holding the saw.

It has only about 3 tanks trough it so far, but it is markedly stronger than initially already. The still have only one piston ring here, I believe....

Yes, I have trees of that size and larger! And smaller ones as well!

I guess I have to bring with me my digital camera, and take some pictures showing my work.

One of my projects later this summer is to prepare for a new road in my forest. A lot of timber has to be cut down. You have to get yourself down south to take part. I guess the witch rides her broomstick in the air.

Latest posts

Back