Chain tension?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I can't quite get this figured??

Stihl 361...

Chain tensioner is maxed out and I can still stick my finger in between the chain and bar. Way too loose.

I pulled the tension assembly apart and everything looks intact. Just seems to bottom out before the chain gets tight.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance guys.

New Chain and / or new problem

If this is a recent occurrence and it's a new chain, count the drive links and make sure an extra one didn't get added in accidentally.

Another thought, did the threads on the adjuster get damaged somehow or is it bent so the carriage that engages the bar comes to a premature stop before the proper tension is reached.

Pull the clutch cover again and get in there and clean. I mean Simple Green, Gun Scrubber, dental picks and lots of compressed air. The first step in resolving an issue is to be able to dee what's going on.

Good Luck

Take Care

You got the wrong length chain for your saw go see your dealer and get the right one.

To tension your chain you should tighten the nuts on your clutch cover finger tight and adjust the tensioner until the chain sucks into the groove on the bottom side of the bar and just settles neatly against the rails without excessive tightness. and while doing this you should be holding the tip of your bar upwards until you tighten the nuts that hold it all in place.

Well....usin' an extremely-complicated sawchain algorithm, etc.....I would say that..... yur chain be too long.....:msp_wink:

Thanks for cranking through the mathematics man! I haven't done calculus in better than a decade.

New Chain and / or new problem

If this is a recent occurrence and it's a new chain, count the drive links and make sure an extra one didn't get added in accidentally.

Another thought, did the threads on the adjuster get damaged somehow or is it bent so the carriage that engages the bar comes to a premature stop before the proper tension is reached.

Pull the clutch cover again and get in there and clean. I mean Simple Green, Gun Scrubber, dental picks and lots of compressed air. The first step in resolving an issue is to be able to dee what's going on.

Good Luck

Take Care

More info...

It kinda seems like it has progressively/slowly gotten worse over time.

I started to notice it a while back, brought it into the Stihl shop, fella said that chain was stretching. Ok. Seemed like a lot of stretch to me, but he is the pro, so I went about my business.

Multiple chains for two different bars, same deal, can't tension em.

All clean in there, no gunk or build up or anything in there. Threads on the adjuster all look good.

Both my bars have seen just about the same amount of use. Maybe about 5 years old, cutting roughly 6 cords per year. I wonder if they are getting worn down and creating the slack?? I can see the grooves are worn some, not too bad though. Just a guess.

You got the wrong length chain for your saw go see your dealer and get the right one.

Bought the Stihl chain to match the Stihl bar at the Stihl dealer. Numbers on the chain box match the bar on the saw so I think I am good there.
To tension your chain you should tighten the nuts on your clutch cover finger tight and adjust the tensioner until the chain sucks into the groove on the bottom side of the bar and just settles neatly against the rails without excessive tightness.

That is the procedure I use every time^^^.

Hey, thanks for chipping in guys. Appreciate it!

Did you varify that the tension adjuster travels fully back and forth as seen with the clutch cover off?

Yup, pretty sure I am good there too. I can see the tension adjuster moves all the way out and bottoms out at that little plastic piece.

Thanks!

Did you count the drive links by hand? Is the dive sprocket completly worn out? Is the bar tip split open too far? Is there anything else that may look questionable?

Did you count the drive links by hand? Is the dive sprocket completly worn out? Is the bar tip split open too far? Is there anything else that may look questionable?

Nope, didn't count the drive links by hand. I kind of figured two different bars with two different chains each, same result should mean something else is going on. Agreed though, I can/should count em.

Sprocket is basically new.

Bar tips looks in good shape, on both bars.

Everything looks good to me. Well, except for the fact that the chain is too loose.

Admittedly, I am no saw mechanic so I surely could be missing something. Might be right in front of my face and not see it:msp_confused:

Ok before we go any further what size bar are you running, what sprocket are you running? I am assuming you are running 3/8 chain in which case a 20 inch bar should have 72 drive links a 24/25 inch should have 84. no matter what stretch you get (if you are running stihl chain it should stop after the second tank) you should never run out of adjustment and this should be at about 1/3 of your adjustment never more than half your adjustment. if you are running out of adjustment the chain has been made to the wrong length.

Cutting dead dry wood, you need more oil on your chain than when cutting green wood.

The fine dust from the dry wood will wear out the pins in your chain and clog up your filters

Does a NEW chain tighten up?

If a new chain tightens up, then something is causing excessive stretching.

No magic involved here... Everything CAN'T be "just fine" yet you still have the problems you have.

A guy at work was showin me his problem of the chain not adjusting.
Never seen anything like it, that chain was 1/2 cutter life and hangin 3" from the bar- adj all out.
After he went and got a new rim and chain he tossed the old chain in the trash. I dug it out and kept it just because I never seen one with that much slop in the rivets and d/.ls before.
Maybe lack of oil, IDK it did'nt appear burned. May take it apart and have me a look.

I bought a used saw. After removing the covers, it was obvious it had been used mostly on dead wood.

The used up chain was supposed to have 72 DL but a link had been removed and it only had 71 links.

A little confused

When you go to tighten the chain, does the adjuster go all the way to the end of its travel and the chain is still loose, or does the adjuster go part way and lock up before the chain gets properly tightened?

If the later the adjusting screw most likely is bent or bending / flexing enough as tension is applied to lock up the threads and keep the carriage from traveling forward to tension the chain. It may not show up with the cover off as there is nothing to create the bending or flexing force.

Good luck

Take Care

Thanks a bunch for the info guys, much appreciated.

I grabbed a new chain from my local Stihl dealer, compared, yup, chain is stretched.

I couldn't figure why all my chains were stretched. I remember now that last fall, there were a few days in a row that I was bucking some huge oak logs. Bars buried. I swapped the bars and chains around, one to the other on those jobs. That must have been it.

I'll swing over to my dealer and have em take out a link.

I run my oilier wide open, always have.

Hey, learned something new today. Didn't realize that a chain could stretch that much.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back