Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know that this has been discussed before, and I've read lots of thought on chain. For long bars 44" and 64" will .404 chain be a better/safer bet than .375? I know that as teh bars get long, chain stretching will become a bigger problem. I don't have any chain yet for these bars on an 084, and want to make a decision whether I should run .375 or.404. Suggestions.
Thanks

00Juice said

I know that this has been discussed before, and I've read lots of thought on chain. For long bars 44" and 64" will .404 chain be a better/safer bet than .375? I know that as teh bars get long, chain stretching will become a bigger problem. I don't have any chain yet for these bars on an 084, and want to make a decision whether I should run .375 or.404. Suggestions.

A very good choice of bar which you can change tips and things is the Cannon Superbar, for the 084 to be used with a CSM, the 50" is a good choice, buy it with a 325 tip and use a 9 tooth sproket for a slightly faster chain speed.

Buy a normal chain and change the angle to 5 degrees, OR, every time you sharpen, change the angle slightly until you have the desired angle.

Don't worry about chain stretch, run up slowly on the take up, its the rapid acceleration that stretches chains, also let the saw do the work, don't push too hard and it will cut quicker, if you push too hard the chain cannot clear the sawdust properly, best to keep the motor running at a steady rev's, not up and down or stalling out.

Also use a chain that has a rounded bottom corner on the chisel, not a square corner or the chain has to work harder, I use Oregon Chipmaster, a 325 chain also has more cutters and gives a better finish to the boards.

Raily.

Latest posts

Back