Chaining a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's a pic I snagged today of a White Oak in my yard. It has two large stems that "Y" at about 6 feet high.

I put this 3/8" log chain up as high as I could and still have strength, to hold the the union together. The union has a seam in it, the tree is by buildings and the canopy is substantial, that is why I chained it.

I use this method instead of cabling, because it doesn't require drilling through the tree and I believe it will last longer. Also, when the tree is finally ready to come down, I will pull the chain and put it back to use in my chain arsenal.

The chain loop is sized to each side of the tree to allow for growth, it is also pulled hand tight and secured. I didn't use grab hooks, just threw some bolts through the links. I think the best way to secure it would be to wrap the loose end of chain around the other like you are making a timber hitch and then bolt it.

I have done this before with favorable results. Girdling seems to be at a minimum with no adverse affects from it. The chain just kind of sits in one spot and will tension in a good wind. Nobody notices it unless you point it out.

This system seems to be close to those new cobra or whatever they are systems.

I have not seen it done, it's just something we do, so I thought I would throw it out there.

DSCN1807.jpg

Last edited:
Different!! I dont think too many people in my area would like this method, I imagine it works just as good???

LXT..........

You could certainly buy some cambium saver or something and put it on the chain, I have never done it because this has never given me problems. I am bad though, I will agree to that. sol.
I am keeping that tree for a long time, it is a beauty. I should snap a full pic tommorow, it is an awesome tree. One of those that looks like a big piece of brocolli in the summer. I have the fire ring under it and the picnic table for those summer nights.

Last edited:
You could certainly buy some cambium saver or something and put it on the chain, I have never done it because this has never given me problems. I am bad though, I will agree to that. sol.
I am keeping that tree for a long time, it is a beauty. I should snap a full pic tommorow, it is an awesome tree. One of those that looks like a big piece of brocolli in the summer. I have the fire ring under it and the picnic table for those summer nights.

Oh, by all means keep the tree. You should be fine, looks like some nut wrapped a chain around it to keep it up.
I should do the same to the monster cherry out front but I don't think I can carry that much chain up there.
No, what you have is squirrel proof, adjustable, and suitable bracing element. Some kind of padding for contact with the bark would make it complete. What are you using to make the loops? Bolts? Hooks?

yo nails, now what you gonna use fer yer lanyard. lol:dizzy:

I wouldn't start laughin to hard yet guys. That post is in the works. I am buying new chain for my flipline. Sure to entertain.

Last edited:
why did you use a chain, that looked like a nice quiet place for a hammock. that waay the misses cant find you to take out the garbage,or mow the yard, etc

Chain is a good poorman's alternative to nothing, but there is no flex to the chain. Spliced line has dynamic properties that do more then hold the tree together.

the Sherrill catalog has a good article on the benefits of dynamic systems, I gotta go to work now.

My biggest objection is that you are supposed to be the pro, and your using ductape and bailing wire in your yard.

Chain is a good poorman's alternative to nothing, but there is no flex to the chain. Spliced line has dynamic properties that do more then hold the tree together.

the Sherrill catalog has a good article on the benefits of dynamic systems, I gotta go to work now.

My biggest objection is that you are supposed to be the pro, and your using ductape and bailing wire in your yard.

That spliced line seems like good material for squirells to chew and make big green nests out of.
Those little guys eat steel cable too. It is a shame, I like the idea of the rope brace but it doesn't seem to last to long.
If I was selling a cable job I might use it but if I was trying to protect my stuff I would probably use the chain or cable. Either, in my opinion, is a band aid over an running sore. What can you do?

If you wouldn't do it than don't.

As far as being the poor man's alternative, it's about saving the client money. We haven't had one yet that didn't like it, or call back to with a problem.

Sherill is in the sales business, they obviously want to sell you their new system not a poor man's log chain that you can buy at the hardware store.

Up here in the sticks, most clients aren't impressed with the newest, latest, most expensive solution to their problem.

Back