chains and bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a questions. I have an 066 with a 36" bar. On the bar it says it is .375 pitch. It doesn't say the gauge. I'm looking at the baileys catalog for chain, and they sell .050 and .063 gauge in the .375 pitch. How do I know which to get? Can I use either? What is the advantage of one over the other. Also, what about .404 pitch? I assume that it takes a different bar. Is there a major advantage of .404? Do I need to change anything to do .404.Basicly, How do I pick the best chain for me?
Thanks.
Brian

Im assuming that you have a roller nose bar and this is why the pitch is marked on it ,as to the gauge it is the thickness of the bar groove I think that I am right by saying that you could use a feeler gauge to check the thickness of the groove which will give you the gauge required. As far as .404 advantages over others there are a lot of different opinions to be heard here.Some say that .404 has a little larger kerf than a 3/8 but some say that they are a lot harder to break than the 3/8. Some of the older guys will more than likely chime in here pretty soon and give their opinions and correct me if they dont agree.To switch to .404 you will have to change your chain drive sprocket and the roller in your bar if it is so equipped. Go back and look at some of the older threads, there are some discussions about chain pitch opinions.

00juice said:
I have a questions. I have an 066 with a 36" bar. On the bar it says it is .375 pitch. It doesn't say the gauge. I'm looking at the baileys catalog for chain, and they sell .050 and .063 gauge in the .375 pitch. How do I know which to get? Can I use either? What is the advantage of one over the other. Also, what about .404 pitch? I assume that it takes a different bar. Is there a major advantage of .404? Do I need to change anything to do .404.Basicly, How do I pick the best chain for me?
Thanks.
Brian

Brian, what brand is the bar, and what are the numbers on it? Those numbers will tell you everything you need to know. Post them, and you will have your answer shortly.

Mark

BTW, stick with the 3/8" chain (.375)

I use only 3/8. I have had the bar and chain so hot I couldnt touch them, smoking even. I have yet to break a chain, or ruin a bar.

Ive never used .404, but heard good things about it. But it is wider than 3/8, so you are wasteing wood, and using HP from the saw.

My bar says it is a Stihl Rollomatic E
36" 3/8 1.3
3003 000 9653

This is the only thing I could find written on the bar.
Thanks

Is there a performance difference between .063 and .050? Is one preferable to the other?
Thanks for all the info

Just an observation. I have both 063 and 050 chain. The 063 Stihl chain has a hole and groove in the tang that rides in the bar. It is there in theory to carry more oil around the bar.

00juice said:
Is there a performance difference between .063 and .050? Is one preferable to the other?
Thanks for all the info

The .050 will have a slightly narrower kerf than .063 which will help the preformance of your saw. As long as you don't abuse it, you shouldn't have any problems with the ligher chain on that saw.

Back