Chains for Bow Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawin

Cranky Ole' Man
Reaction score
Think I am going to put my life in further danger and - just for grins - purchase a bow bar. (Mimi discussion in the sponser Baileys forum).

For those who have experience with them I ask this question. What chain, if any, have you found to work best with this bar?

Perhaps a better way to ask is, will a Rm or RSC chain run and feel the same as if run on a conventional bar?

Does the Bar change the way a particular chain cuts? I'm guessing that they work the same, but before purchasing, I thought I would get some input. Thanks

re

id like to see a video of the proper way to use one-Iv heard they were very fast if you new how to run em ?

I don't know if its "proper" but I have a video of me using the 16" on here. The main thing is that you cannot allow the bumper spike to come loose from the log you are cutting. PPE would be advisable even though I don't wear chaps, to represent that as safe would be...negligent. Other than that it is correct bow guide use.

I've only ever used round chisel 3/8". You could use RM or DP cutters if you were in real dirty wood. Same rulers as with a straight bar apply, chisel for clean wood, semi chisel or chipper for dirty wood. Good luck.

The only good chain for a bow bar is "W" chain. YES, "W" chain.

It is cutterless.

Any other chain on a bow bar is called attempted suicide.

I was using a Stihl 034 AV with 3/8" regular chain (same as on our bar saws) when I was 12 years old. Never had any close calls, but I have always been careful and keep the little lip on the bow firmly on the wood. The advantage to the bow is you don't have to bend over to cut limbs on the ground.

Larry

Back