Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil

• Echo Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Red Armor

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Husqvarna XP+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Husqvarna HP

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amsoil Dominator

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Amsoil Saber

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • VP

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stihl HP Ultra (Silver)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Stihl High Performance (Orange)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's very regional and dont give a true account of what oil is used. Depends on si much like availability, price, how people on youtube influence others (not that anyone is brainwashed of course) and how good the product marketing is. Take Stihl top oil for instance, they use it in their moto mix fuel, it cant be a rubbish oil like some make out but only rated jaso FB oh this may cause a stir but going back years in fact early 80's all we used was oregon two stroke oil and never any problems at 50-1🤷‍♂️
There were no strato saws in the 80’s either, though. Running an 028 or 046 at 50:1 is similar to running an ms261 at 80:1

It was before unleaded fuel too and pump fuel lasted so much longer, in fact we never even thought about it back then..
Right. I remember being able to do a sniff test to see if it smelled like varnish, and that was never an issue unless it was 5 years old

Right. I remember being able to do a sniff test to see if it smelled like varnish, and that was never an issue unless it was 5 years old
Gasoline quality took a nose dive due to the EPA mandating oxygenated gasoline.
Most common oxygenates happen to also be high in Octane. Examples would ethanol, MTBE, ETBE. This allowed the refiners to blend in more poor quality streams into their pump gas and still hit their octane numbers. If this wasn't bad enough the EPA started to go after evaporitive emmissions via RVP targets at the same time. To do this the blenders were forced to remove some of the higher quality , but highly volitale streams and replace them with junk.

Over the years mixed oil to specific manufactures mix ratios . Seventies it was 32:1 .Today with earliest saw 60s McCulloch , thru newest saw 2018 Husqvarna . All get 80:1 Amsoil Saber / straight high test fuel. Not once in years ,have I had an oil related issue. Only a few of my saws are newer.🤪 Newer = later than 2000.
I know of someone old school, and still mixes their oil with motor oil non-synthetic 32:1 . Not a 2 stroke oil . I will say he has more non running saws than running .

Over the years mixed oil to specific manufactures mix ratios . Seventies it was 32:1 .Today with earliest saw 60s McCulloch , thru newest saw 2018 Husqvarna . All get 80:1 Amsoil Saber / straight high test fuel. Not once in years ,have I had an oil related issue. Only a few of my saws are newer.🤪 Newer = later than 2000.
I know of someone old school, and still mixes their oil with motor oil non-synthetic 32:1 . Not a 2 stroke oil . I will say he has more non running saws than running .
What do you think running 80:1 does for you?

I don't use any of those above oils, this is what I've been using for quite a few years now,

Resized-20231113-155007-S.jpg

I mix it at 50 to 1 or slightly richer, using no E 90 octane gas. An elderly friend of mine (in Canada) used it, and when he passed away, his son gave me all he had, about 30 cans.

Anyway, it's been working fine for me for many years, and for my friend before me.

SR

With strato charging and AT/MT my two cycle stuff doesn't smell any different than my Honda Lawnmower for the most part.
Boat oils do stink in traditional 2 strokes. This is because they use amines for disperaents, and anyone that's worked around amines can attest that they indeed are very stinky.
Well, that just stinks!

I don't use any of those above oils, this is what I've been using for quite a few years now,

Resized-20231113-155007-S.jpg

I mix it at 50 to 1 or slightly richer, using no E 90 octane gas. An elderly friend of mine (in Canada) used it, and when he passed away, his son gave me all he had, about 30 cans.

Anyway, it's been working fine for me for many years, and for my friend before me.

SR
Early to mid 70's vintage I am guessing.

What do you think running 80:1 does for you?
With the Amsoil I Have seen an overall improvement in lubrication.Cleaner internals. Less metal wear.Higher rpms, Less exhaust smoke. You may use any oil and get proper lubrication. As long as you do maintenance your equipment should last. I like the way Amsoil performs. That is what it does for me.

For bwalker, What does running 80:1 Amsoil do for me? While running this oil ,internals are cleaner, rpms increased , stock or modified saws, less wear on parts (pistons, cylinders, wrist pins, bearings ),less exhaust smoke. Have used other name brand oil , and prefer Amsoil .That is what 80:1 Amsoil does for me. Don't sell just use it for what it does .Any saw oil will work if you do the proper maintenance . Some better that others .

For bwalker, What does running 80:1 Amsoil do for me? While running this oil ,internals are cleaner, rpms increased , stock or modified saws, less wear on parts (pistons, cylinders, wrist pins, bearings ),less exhaust smoke. Have used other name brand oil , and prefer Amsoil .That is what 80:1 Amsoil does for me. Don't sell just use it for what it does .Any saw oil will work if you do the proper maintenance . Some better that others .
How do you know internals are cleaner? How do you know there is less wear.
Frankly yournpost sounds like a a marketing blurb.

The only oil lubrication failure I’ve heard of was on Amsoil Saber at 80:1. It was on an 880 set up for milling.

Amsoil will tell you to pound sand if you try getting them to honor their 100:1 warranty as well. But it’s a good oil at 32:1. Leaves very little carbon and lots of residual oil in the bottom end

Sound like an old klotz add, like word for word. Except they didn't reccomend absurd mix ratios.

Back