Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil

• Echo Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Red Armor

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Husqvarna XP+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Husqvarna HP

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amsoil Dominator

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Amsoil Saber

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • VP

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stihl HP Ultra (Silver)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Stihl High Performance (Orange)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've heard of folks who don't even measure or mix their fuel. Just put a glug of oil in the gas tank and fill the rest of the tank up with straight gas. Shake the saw a bit and get to cutting. There's good reason googling the phone number for the Home Depot tool rental counter is as close as I'll get to loaning out a saw.

I have only a limited number of hours using Amsoil 2 cycle oil in my chainsaws. But I have used their motor oils both for gasoline and diesel engines with extended drain intervals for literally millions of vehicle miles. Never had any oil-related problems. They perform better in both the wear test and volatility test than any other oil on the market. So I am pretty confident using the Saber product in my MS500i. I use a 50:1 ratio. Other posters here have used 100:1 on multiple engines without problems.
If you look at the mining Industry or oil drilling for example you just don't see Amsoil used. You will see Chevron, Mobil and Shell used. Why do you suppose that is?
Also where do you think Amsoil sources their oils from? They certainly don't make a drop of oil.

I've heard of folks who don't even measure or mix their fuel. Just put a glug of oil in the gas tank and fill the rest of the tank up with straight gas. Shake the saw a bit and get to cutting. There's good reason googling the phone number for the Home Depot tool rental counter is as close as I'll get to loaning out a saw.
I've seen many guys do that.
I've seen a friend to use that method to mix gas for his newish KTM dirt bike using ATF.. the stupidity is never ending.

If you look at the mining Industry or oil drilling for example you just don't see Amsoil used. You will see Chevron, Mobil and Shell used. Why do you suppose that is?
Also where do you think Amsoil sources their oils from? They certainly don't make a drop of oil.
Yes sir don’t buy into the amsoil nonsense - I’ve got 20 plus years as a heavy duty mechanic for fleets I seen trucks , gen sets , semis , and equipment go 100’s of thousands of miles to millions of Miles to 10’s of thousand of hours all on regular fleet oil from mobile , conoco Phillips , and citgo
Use a decent product , do maintenance no problems common sense . Why in the world would anyone worry about saving some oil or believing you can run a saw or other equipment that lean ? Red armor for me mixed at fat 40:1 and done

For years just used Stihl Ultra or Husky HP we got from our local dealers. Based on what I read here, switched to AmSoil Sabre at 40:1. When our local stores stopped carrying Sabre, switched to Echo Red Armour at 40;1. Honestly I can't tell a difference with any of them. Just use a decent oil @ 40 or 50:1 and all should be fine . . . at least all fuel/oil related issues. If you've got anxiety issues, proper oil quality and ratios won't change that.

Yes sir don’t buy into the amsoil nonsense - I’ve got 20 plus years as a heavy duty mechanic for fleets I seen trucks , gen sets , semis , and equipment go 100’s of thousands of miles to millions of Miles to 10’s of thousand of hours all on regular fleet oil from mobile , conoco Phillips , and citgo
Use a decent product , do maintenance no problems common sense . Why in the world would anyone worry about saving some oil or believing you can run a saw or other equipment that lean ? Red armor for me mixed at fat 40:1 and done
Yep same.

Yep same.
Amsoil has a video on Sabre that states you can mix it at any ratio you wish 32:1, 40:1, 50:1, 100:1 etc and you can follow your manufacturers recommendation if you wish.

My take is that they use the 100:1 thing as a marketing bit. In other words, they want consumers thinking the oil is so good and effective an engine will hold together even with just a touch of their oil.

They know though that most people run 50:1. That's why they sell 2.6 oz bottles everywhere.
I don't think it's bad oil or a scam though. They have a long history with synthetics and I've never had any issues with their products.

Their problem is their weird marketing approach which feels outdated and scammy. Also, basically anyone can be a dealer if you want to pay the $50 application fee. Not a great idea either- I don't want to buy my oil out of a shady guy' garage at night when he gets home from work.

Amsoil has a video on Sabre that states you can mix it at any ratio you wish 32:1, 40:1, 50:1, 100:1 etc and you can follow your manufacturers recommendation if you wish.

My take is that they use the 100:1 thing as a marketing bit. In other words, they want consumers thinking the oil is so good and effective an engine will hold together even with just a touch of their oil.

They know though that most people run 50:1. That's why they sell 2.6 oz bottles everywhere.
I don't think it's bad oil or a scam though. They have a long history with synthetics and I've never had any issues with their products.

Their problem is their weird marketing approach which feels outdated and scammy. Also, basically anyone can be a dealer if you want to pay the $50 application fee. Not a great idea either- I don't want to buy my oil out of a shady guy' garage at night when he gets home from work.
To me they are just not a reputable company and this is going back years.
They would have you believe the invent top of the line oils with some massive R and D department. The truth is they buy base oils from the majors and blend them with additives from Lubrizol. Nothing special at all.

To me they are just not a reputable company and this is going back years.
They would have you believe the invent top of the line oils with some massive R and D department. The truth is they buy base oils from the majors and blend them with additives from Lubrizol. Nothing special at all.
You know this how?

You know this how?
Because I work in the oil industry. Based on this I know who produces what and who the independent additive companies are. Mobil produces almost all the PAO and Ester base oils sold in the United States. Lubrizol is the only additive package manufacturer that's not owned by a Major.
Regardless Amsoil doesn't make a single drop of anything. They are a packager,blender and marketer.
I've also driven by the Superior, WIS location. Its not a refinery.

Because I work in the oil industry. Based on this I know who produces what and who the independent additive companies are. Mobil produces almost all the PAO and Ester base oils sold in the United States. Lubrizol is the only additive package manufacturer that's not owned by a Major.
Regardless Amsoil doesn't make a single drop of anything. They are a packager,blender and marketer.
Isn't this the case with most oil brands? There's only a handful that do everything in-house I imagine.

I read an article from a tribologist years ago that mentioned that people focus too much on the source and type of ingredients used in oil rather than how they're used. A good analogy is cooking. You can give me and Gordan Ramsey access to a table full of the same ingredients and ask us to prepare a dish. Even though we're using the same ingredients it's likely that his dish will be far superior to mine.

I'm not an oil expert, but I suspect there's a lot of skill, science and art involved with blending oils and additives to achieve the right outcome and some companies are better than others.

Do you know who makes Echo Red Armor or Redline? I'd be curious about those.

A blender can still choose to make a superior product. The Amsoil products have been shown to be superior to other oils. Even Todd at Project Farm has rather convincingly shown that Amsoil engine oil was the best he ever tested, in terms of volatility, cold weather flow, resistance to heat breakdown and wear rate on his test apparatus. He also tested their 2-cycle oils, but he used a ridiculous ratio (4:1, if I recall). Still, it showed superior results. BTW, you once doubted that I am an engineer. You wanted to know what type. Well, I guess there is no harm in disclosing that. I am a Chemical Engineer.

Isn't this the case with most oil brands? There's only a handful that do everything in-house I imagine.

I read an article from a tribologist years ago that mentioned that people focus too much on the source and type of ingredients used in oil rather than how they're used. A good analogy is cooking. You can give me and Gordan Ramsey access to a table full of the same ingredients and ask us to prepare a dish. Even though we're using the same ingredients it's likely that his dish will be far superior to mine.

I'm not an oil expert, but I suspect there's a lot of skill, science and art involved with blending oils and additives to achieve the right outcome and some companies are better than others.

Exactly the case. When you charge as much as Amsoil does, you can afford to use the best ingredients in the proper proportions.

A blender can still choose to make a superior product. The Amsoil products have been shown to be superior to other oils. Even Todd at Project Farm has rather convincingly shown that Amsoil engine oil was the best he ever tested, in terms of volatility, cold weather flow, resistance to heat breakdown and wear rate on his test apparatus. He also tested their 2-cycle oils, but he used a ridiculous ratio (4:1, if I recall). Still, it showed superior results. BTW, you once doubted that I am an engineer. You wanted to know what type. Well, I guess there is no harm in disclosing that. I am a Chemical Engineer.
How many saws do you suppose Todd at project farm has run until there is literally nothing left to rebuild? How many high hour saws do you suppose he has torn down and analyzed to come to his conclusion?

How many saws do you suppose Todd at project farm has run until there is literally nothing left to rebuild? How many high hour saws do you suppose he has torn down and analyzed to come to his conclusion?
Or how many bearings has Todd worn out?

The majors all make their own stuff. IE Shell, Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, Phillips 66.
Given your Gordon Ramsey annology do you honestly think that a two bit company like Amsoil has the abilities of the Major companies?
Along that same line do you think the majors sell Amsoil the best of what they produce? I can tell you for certain they do not. They tend to keep the latest and greatest for themselves.
In regards to your blending comment. Their isn't a whole lot of art to it. Their is some art in making the base oils themselves.

Last I looked Phillips 66 makes Red Armor.
I don't knownwho makes stuff for Redline. I will say their two stroke racing oil is complete garbage as it pertains to corrosion protection.

All of this obsession with oil is ridiculous anyways. Just use a Certied JASO FD oil and be done with it.

PF is a joke and as an engineer you should know this.

It is not necessary for him to do that to test certain attributes of oil. On the other hand, how many have you torn down that have high hours and have only been run with 1 oil at a fixed ratio for all of their hours? I would venture to say the answer is none. But that would be the only way to settle the matter. I bet no one has actually done such a study.

PF is a joke and as an engineer you should know this.
As an engineer, I find that what Tood does is quite scientific most of the time, and he is very thorough and objective. I don't know you personally, but you do come across as a bit bombastic and arrogant in your posts, when all you really offer is opinion, not scientific evidence. Try to be a bit more humble.

Back