Chainsaw break in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres always been alot of do this and do that when breaking in a new saw. Stihl says it takes about 5 gallons of fuel to really break their engines in.

I recently bought a Husky 372. My break in method on it was like on all my saws. I fueled it with 50:1 fuel, started it and chekced the rpm levels started sawing. I would say there is no need to run a saw wide open out of the cut whether its new or not. That said just use your saw and it will break in on its own and aviod wide open when your not sawing. Other than that there's not not much to breaking it in, it does the breaking in on its own while your using it. Oh note was your saw checked for proper rpm levels or did you buy it in a box? If in a box you might want those rpm's checked to insure its not running lean. Todays saws run very lean due to EPA laws so other than ckecking the rpm levels merely use the saw.

Wow, 5 gallons! I know of some Stihl saws that will never be broke in then.:laugh:
Good advice on breaking one in Thall. The only thing I ever pampered durring the break in period was my wife, and I'm paying for that now.:laugh: :laugh:

Andy

I hate to keep derailing this thread,but I've been running that saw since 93.It's the saw that made my business,sure I love the 460,but it's heavier,and I have yet to figure out what the 460 will do that the 440 will not,except make your back ache more.Who cares if it's a 1/4 of a second faster through a 12 inch poplar log??If I want speed then I get out the 395...My dealer is supposed to be going through all the Stihl dealers within 100 miles to see if he can put his hands on one or two more for me..Did I mention I love my 440's?

One of my local dealers has a new 440 on the shelf right now...

I thought they were being discontinued forever this time round and I wanted one of what the Husky guys say is Husky's best before it was gone. No sooner than I got it I hear the 372 is back and plentifull again. I'll give Husky credit , they sure know how to pull the wool over everyone,LOLOL I think thats about the 4th or 5th time that the 372 was on its way out and suddenly it came back, dayumm saw has 9 lives,LOL

I believe they earned a lot of EPA credit, after buying up RedMax, and are exploiting it by reintroducing the 372xp on the US market - it never went away here.......:D :yoyo: :yoyo:

I like to run them a tad rich for 10 tanks. But as far as being easy on them???? NOPE, run it like you stole it.

I'd rather say 15 tanks or 10 litres of fuel (whatever is the most), and a tad rich during that period.

Try to avoid WOT out of wood (well, you allways should, but...), and prolonged cuts, for that period.

I just ran mine a touch rich for the first 15 tanks or so then leaned it out so that it revs where I want it. I go with run it like you stole it.

I believe they earned a lot of EPA credit, after buying up RedMax, and are exploiting it by reintroducing the 372xp on the US market - it never went away here.......:D :yoyo: :yoyo:

Awwwwwwwwww ok, that makes sense then. I thought the 372 was on its last breath so I grabbed up one. No regrets here..

In the workshop manual for Jonsered it says that the saws is adjusted 600-700 RPM under max WOT RPM when new, for a safer and better brake-in the first 3-4 hours

:greenchainsaw:

In the workshop manual for Jonsered it says that the saws is adjusted 600-700 RPM under max WOT RPM when new, for a safer and better brake-in the first 3-4 hours

:greenchainsaw:

My Husky dealer have set my new saws 500-1000rpms low, and told me to come back after 10 litres of fuel, for a retune.

The 5100S was 300 low when it arrived, and Scott said that was perfect, when I asked him.......

Last edited:
Do they have to be adjusted after break in?

Usually, yes - but now I got a tach, so I do it myself.;)

But I think Scott said it probably wouldn't be needed on the 5100S - we will see.

We have 3 saws that aren't broken in yet, because of our misfortunes this summer.....GRRRRRRRR:bang: :bang: :bang: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:
I break them in a bit rich and like I stole the saw :D
works for me, and I'm a believer of the theory that high compression helps seating the rings, so I never "baby" my new saws ,,,,,
A good tach is very usable and with some saws almost a must since it's hard to hear what rpm you have on the saw, I got a Stihl edt7 which works perfect for me and that I would recommend in a heartbeat !!

I break them in a bit rich and like I stole the saw :D
works for me, and I'm a believer of the theory that high compression helps seating the rings, so I never "baby" my new saws ,,,,,
A good tach is very usable and with some saws almost a must since it's hard to hear what rpm you have on the saw, I got a Stihl edt7 which works perfect for me and that I would recommend in a heartbeat !!

I like to run them that way too, just a tad rich and no mercy to saw, expect i try not to cook the saw with long along-the-grain cuts...

Have to agree with Thall here with the run in.
Use it, I mean "use it" but don't abuse it.
It will take a few tanks to run in.
My 371XP has been a constant firewood and 4wd (suv) and camping saw for ten years and the wear to bore and cyl. has been minimal.
If you consider this, running in will take some time.

372XP Thall ?
wadya reckon?

Al.

Back