Chainsaw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny that lots of people are giving a bad rap to Oregon, yet it is the world's #1 chainsaw chain.
I like the LGX, it's super sharp out of the box, holds a good edge for me.

Yes, and to choose the right style of chain usually is more important than which brand it is.

Funny that lots of people are giving a bad rap to Oregon, yet it is the world's #1 chainsaw chain.

Yes, and to choose the right style of chain usually is more important than which brand it is.

I ....
The John Deere saw I just bought (CS 56) came with a Oregon bar and chain, the saw is excellent, the bar and chain are junk. In my opinion the oregon doesn't hold an edge like it should and you have to sharpen it more frequently
than Woodlands or Stihl.

That is an exemple on what I wrote above - I think .325 Narrow Kerf is a bad choise on that saw, regardless of brand......

There was a chain poll awhile ago where Stihl was #1, but Oregon makes some good stuff too. Most of my chain is Stihl, can't be beat imo.

There was a chain poll awhile ago where Stihl was #1, but Oregon makes some good stuff too. Most of my chain is Stihl, can't be beat imo.

Well.......You do know that the people on AS are not necessarily the entire world right? All the stihlheads here prefer to pay more for the same quality, but you know how it goes..............

Just bustin' yur balls.

Have you tried the new LGX? I really like it. I am slowly replacing all my Carlton and Windsor with it. I can get it for a decent price and it seems to last just as long as the Stihl chain. I bought one stihl loop and gave up my first born child for it. It is good chain, but not worth the extra money in my opinion.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well.......You do know that the people on AS are not necessarily the entire world right? All the stihlheads here prefer to pay more for the same quality, but you know how it goes..............

Just bustin' yur balls.

Have you tried the new LGX? I really like it. I am slowly replacing all my Carlton and Windsor with it. I can get it for a decent price and it seems to last just as long as the Stihl chain. I bought one stihl loop and gave up my first born child for it. It is good chain, but not worth the extra money in my opinion.

LOL, I knew that was coming. Fact is I get a dam good price on Stihl chains so I just use them the most.:)

I think Lon had LGX on his 346 at the gtg, seemed to be a good chain but I have no personal experience with it. If I can remember the model right, I have some "LG" that didn't last no time near what my Stihl chain did so I use it for dirty stuff now. When Stihl chain gets too high, I might switch but for now it's RSC all the way.:D

Wow what font size is that? Now that I know all chains wear out maybe you can help me with another couple questions. I lost my manual, why does my saw have two gas tanks? Why did the file I used on Oregon chains last forever (almost)?

Two gas tanks???? Don't you mean 1 gas tank, 1 bar oil tank?

Files, where they all the same files you used with Oregon and Stihl chain? Stihl chain is defiantly harder then Oregon. The new LGX chain is really good, much better then the original Oregon chain.

I used to use Stihl chains exclusively, but with my sons becoming the age were they can use saws, it was getting expensive, I recently bought some Woodlands Pro from Bailey's and it is excellent chain for the money, I would rather have two loops of it rather that just one loop of Stihl for the same money. It holds a decent edge, sharpens well and performs, believe it is made by Carlton, there is many threads on this, just use the search function.
The John Deere saw I just bought (CS 56) came with a Oregon bar and chain, the saw is excellent, the bar and chain are junk. In my opinion the oregon doesn't hold an edge like it should and you have to sharpen it more frequently
than Woodlands or Stihl.

I really don't understand how Oregon stuff is JUNK??? I've almost pretty much used it exclusively and never had a problem with it. Works great for me, I've got some Baileys Woodland Pro RC stuff, and that's good to, but not any better then Oregon IMHO.

Didn't mean to get some people fired up about this post. I think i may try one of the new oregon chains you were talking about. I get the stihl super full skip pretty cheap, but I'm willing to try anything if it may be better. thanks guys

Is there a difference in Woodland Pro and plain branded Carlton chain? For me using the Carlton file-o-plates makes filing much more accurate, the chain cuts good and last ok for me, so I like the Carlton. The file-o-plates can be use on some of the other brands. Won't work on other brand safety chain.
Kurf

LOL, I knew that was coming. Fact is I get a dam good price on Stihl chains so I just use them the most.:)

I think Lon had LGX on his 346 at the gtg, seemed to be a good chain but I have no personal experience with it. If I can remember the model right, I have some "LG" that didn't last no time near what my Stihl chain did so I use it for dirty stuff now. When Stihl chain gets too high, I might switch but for now it's RSC all the way.:D

I agree, the LG didn't last too long that is why I was using Carlton and Windsor more. The Windsor doesn't last longer though, but the cost was much cheaper than the Oregon. Carlton may not last as long between sharpening, but the top plate is longer so a chain will take more sharpening before it is junk.

:)

I'm sure Oregon makes some good chain, the OEM chain that was put on the JD probably the lower end of their line, like the bar that came on the saw.
In my opinion both were junk, compared to Stihl chain and bars.
It's the standard they were judged against, Oregon's top of the line product would more than likely earned a more favorable comment. We are on track to cut sixty cords of firewood this year, mostly oak, hickory, locust, and a few hedge. These are drug up to a common work area and usually aren't the cleanest wood to cut. To make a dollar or two selling wood at $70.00 a cord/
35.00 face cord/rick you don't need to be screwing around sharpening a chain half of your time. With three people cutting/using saws it demands the best value for your money, I'll be glad to try a Oregon chain you recommend that can be bought for .20 link or 11.00 like the Woodland Pro in your opinion offers as good or better performance. Seems like Dolmar/Husky people may be sensitive since they only pay Oregon to either repackage under their brands instead of making their own chain. I will only buy the Stihl when I know I have some very dirty wood to cut in the future or have a large qty of hedge to cut.

JGX Skip Tooth

I'm a real big fan of the Oregon JGX full chisel skip-tooth chain. I'm running an 8 pin sprocket w/28" bar on my Homelite XL-870 (stop laughing all you Stihl & Husky guys) and FOR THE ENGINE SPEED, it cuts really damned fast no matter what I'm cutting into. Depending on how much dirt the wood has been drug through, I can usually cut a couple of cords before needing to touch the chain up.

:laugh:

I love the logic. :dizzy:

Oregon is the number one selling brand of saw chain worldwide so it must be the best right?

So by that logic.. Micky D's sells more hamburgers than anyone else so it must be the best ground beef there is..... right. :laugh:

or it could just be because it's cheap chain sold in every hardware/box store, Walmart, and doughnut shop in town. :dunno:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IF IT AIN'T STIHL... LEAVE IT ON THE REEL. :cheers:

:laugh:

I love the logic. :dizzy:

Oregon is the number one selling brand of saw chain worldwide so it must be the best right?

So by that logic.. Micky D's sells more hamburgers than anyone else so it must be the best ground beef there is..... right. :laugh:

or it could just be because it's cheap chain sold in every hardware/box store, Walmart, and doughnut shop in town.

IF IT AIN'T STIHL... LEAVE IT ON THE REEL. :cheers:

Stihl is the #1 selling brand of saw worldwide, so they must be the best, right? :dizzy: :laugh:
Or it could just be because they have a dealer on every street corner and advertise more than others? Gotta love the logic.:chainsaw: :cheers:

This is a question for the folks who have used Stihl, Oregon, Carlton and Baileys chains: Stihl has a 30 degree top plate angle, Oregon uses 25 deg top plate angle, and Carlton & Baileys both use a 35 deg angle. After using one brand for a while, is it hard to get used to filing the next brand? I touch up my chains often and it seems like a big difference between Stihl & Oregon.

FWIW, I recently compared Oregon LGX and Stihl RSC on some dead hard Oak. Both chains seemed to hold their edge equally. I like Stihl chains but the Oregon LGX is a great chain. Only the teeth are harder so the depth gauges are easier to file than Stihl.

This is a question for the folks who have used Stihl, Oregon, Carlton and Baileys chains: Stihl has a 30 degree top plate angle, Oregon uses 25 deg top plate angle, and Carlton & Baileys both use a 35 deg angle. After using one brand for a while, is it hard to get used to filing the next brand? I touch up my chains often and it seems like a big difference between Stihl & Oregon.

FWIW, I recently compared Oregon LGX and Stihl RSC on some dead hard Oak. Both chains seemed to hold their edge equally. I like Stihl chains but the Oregon LGX is a great chain. Only the teeth are harder so the depth gauges are easier to file than Stihl.

It doesn't matter what angles the chain comes with, file it to whatever you want, I'm always playing with different angles, to see what works best.

Stihl is the #1 selling brand of saw worldwide, so they must be the best, right? :dizzy: :laugh:
Or it could just be because they have a dealer on every street corner and advertise more than others? Gotta love the logic.:chainsaw: :cheers:

but.... but...... I thought all the Husky guys have been saying that the Husqvarna Group has the best selling line of sewing ma... errr... I mean chainsaws. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

Any one out there with a Rockwell hardness tester?

Any one out there with a Rockwell hardness tester and would be willing to test the hardness of different brands of saw teeth? This would put some numbers to the brand. Files are around 66 Rockwell. If a file will not touch it, it's harder than 66 Rockwell.

Any one out there with a Rockwell hardness tester and would be willing to test the hardness of different brands of saw teeth? This would put some numbers to the brand. Files are around 66 Rockwell. If a file will not touch it, it's harder than 66 Rockwell.

This was done by an AS member a while back. If I remember correctly, the Oregon chain that he tested was harder than the Stihl chain. However, hardness is not everything...

Latest posts

Back