Chainsaw chaps question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A31unit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Read a bunch of posts but just gonna start it new here. Want to buy a pair of labonville chaps. Do I want the 6 or the 9 ply?
I understand both arguements and don't mind spending the extra cash if need be. I am far from a pro and only really cut firewood with a stock ms261c. Need to get something before I have an incident!

I have both and prefer the lighter weight even though the 9 ply adds more protection. With a 261 as your primary saw, the 6 ply should suffice. I seldom wear the heavier chaps unless it is very cold. Whatever you do, get the full wraps if that is an option; they seem to snag less, and flop around less.

Read a bunch of posts but just gonna start it new here. Want to buy a pair of labonville chaps. Do I want the 6 or the 9 ply?
I understand both arguements and don't mind spending the extra cash if need be. I am far from a pro and only really cut firewood with a stock ms261c. Need to get something before I have an incident!

Also just cutting firewood, ....I must have missed the labonville discussion....the threads i read all spoke highly of the forester brand and so I bought those.....safe or not, my confidence with a saw in my hand went up dramatically knowing I had some protection

I have both and prefer the lighter weight even though the 9 ply adds more protection. With a 261 as your primary saw, the 6 ply should suffice. I seldom wear the heavier chaps unless it is very cold. Whatever you do, get the full wraps if that is an option; they seem to snag less, and flop around less.
Protective chaps make me sweat a lot, and soaks my Jeans, so I prefer the lighter open backed version.

Thanks. Now I'm just agonizing over buying the right size for the full wraps 36 vs 40.
I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam. Measuring by their standard the 36s fall right to my ankle bone and about 2" below the top of my boot, however alot of reviews say to go with the next size up

I cut wood 4 years without chaps. Now that I got the pair, I think I must have been nuts to wait so long. Mine are the Husky via Amazon, that were marked down to $50 for a short while. Last time I checked they are back over 80.

I have the full wrap from labonville and the green woodland pro from Bailey's, the green ones are much easier for me to put on and take off. but they are about 6" to short for me.

I have the full wrap from labonville and the green woodland pro from Bailey's, the green ones are much easier for me to put on and take off. but they are about 6" to short for me.
Hello amberg: Being a lil short is an advantage, preventing the bottoms being frizzled by continuous contact with briers and ground debris. The disadvantage IMO is mostly cosmetic, but out in the woods, who's looking anyway. :chainsaw:

Sagetown I agree, the short ones are much easier for a cripple like me to move around with. I also skid everything out to the open field before I will even think of starting a saw. and most of them I lift up about two feet with the loader which helps also.

Sagetown I agree, the short ones are much easier for a cripple like me to move around with. I also skid everything out to the open field before I will even think of starting a saw. and most of them I lift up about two feet with the loader which helps also.
Well; thank God U've got a loader to help. I would like to put one on my tractor, but man, they're high. I have a boom for the 3-point hitch though, if I really need some extra help. Sorry to see U have physical hindrances there my friend.

I proballey should not even be running a saw, I have two bad hips and knees, and have a tendency to fall down sometimes. I never used chaps for 48 years until one day I fell with the big saw but I did manage to throw it about 10' on the way down. after that I bought the chaps. also got a helmet and shield, which I forget to put on most of the time. The best thing I did was to take the 28" bar off the saw and put the 20" bar on, much more control of the saw for me stumbling around.

I proballey should not even be running a saw, I have two bad hips and knees, and have a tendency to fall down sometimes. I never used chaps for 48 years until one day I fell with the big saw but I did manage to throw it about 10' on the way down. after that I bought the chaps. also got a helmet and shield, which I forget to put on most of the time. The best thing I did was to take the 28" bar off the saw and put the 20" bar on, much more control of the saw for me stumbling around.
Most of my life the only protective clothing I used for sawing was a hanes T-Shirt, and white cotton high-top tennis shoes. At about 60 yrs young, a limb slapped my running saw into my knee. While I was healing, I ordered a pair of chaps. Use 'm all the time now. Experience is the best educator, but more expensive sometimes.

I know what you mean, Back in 1993 my 038 mag. took my left leg of my bibs, my jeans, and my long johns off right above the knee only left a small one inch scratch. but we had never heard of chaps then, I guess that the more birthdays that go by the smarter you get. ( at least I think I am lol )

Protective chaps make me sweat a lot, and soaks my Jeans, so I prefer the lighter open backed version.

I sweat profusely without chaps so chaps make it worse. When I say full wrap, I am referring to the type that wrap around the ankle from the calf down (not sure if we are on the same page). There is no way I could wear the pants or anything that wraps around the whole leg, as I would have a heat stroke from May to October around here.

I wear shorts under them from June through August if I am not going to be in briars or other thorn bushes.

Thanks. Now I'm just agonizing over buying the right size for the full wraps 36 vs 40.
I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam. Measuring by their standard the 36s fall right to my ankle bone and about 2" below the top of my boot, however alot of reviews say to go with the next size up

I am 5'10" (32 inseam like you) and have the 36s, they are a little short of perfect IMO. I agree with Sagetown, a little short is better than a little long, for the reasons he stated. I see some guys wearing them at mid shin. I never see anybody wearing them dragging the ground.

I went to a competition where we had to wear them. A couple friends of mine (both over 6 ft, one 6'5") didn't have any chaps so I gave them my 2 pair and I wore my son's (size 32). We didn't "look" too goofy. I would rather wear a short 32 over a long 40.

If you buy the Labonville full wrap 36s (5 ply, not 10 ply) and don't like them, I will buy them from you.

If the chaps are too heavy or uncomfortable, you won't wear them, and they will provide zero protection. I have full wrap chaps and apron champs, and often where the lighter weight ones.

I prefer chaps that reach my instep. Steel toe boots only protect my toes. Unless you are wearing chainsaw protective boots, your instep and ankle are not protected from the chain. The chaps can cover some of that.

Philbert

I have some labonville 6 ply and like them but wish I would've got full length. I think they would help keep saw dust out of my boots. Chaps are nice in warmer weather too if u dress right. You can even wear shorts under them and not get scratched by briars and such! I don't think my wife thinks it's as sexy as I do however. She does like that they and the sawdust/grime stay out in the shop before I come inside the house though!

I sweat profusely without chaps so chaps make it worse. When I say full wrap, I am referring to the type that wrap around the ankle from the calf down (not sure if we are on the same page). There is no way I could wear the pants or anything that wraps around the whole leg, as I would have a heat stroke from May to October around here.

I wear shorts under them from June through August if I am not going to be in briars or other thorn bushes.
:laugh::yes: Yup; I sweat like a stuck hog myself. As for the full wraps, I've never seen a pair, so I didn't know exactly what that pertained to.:dumb:

Back