chainsaw doesn't cut straight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
right now my saw needs to be sharpened and i will sharpen it. but first i was just curious about this. my saw cuts to the right as it is going through the log right now. given this information can you tell which set of cutters is higher than the other?

lots of way to sharpen a chain correctly

My advice would be to go buy a guide for you're round file( for the cutters), and a gauge height guide for filing down the riders. I know that helps folks alot untill they are really good at it free hand, and I know some folks that allways use guides to sharpen their saws regardless of experience.

Check your bar. Take it off the saw and put a straight edge against the side and eyeball across the groove. Chances are one side of the bar is higher than the other. If that's the case, you can file it down, or if you have a stationary belt or disc sander, they work unbelievably well.

They also make a tool (Baileys Online) for truing up your bar. It's really nothing more than a file on a 90° guide.

Either way, it's part of maintaining a chainsaw... So if it happened once, it's probably gonna happen again, so you might as well learn how to do it. ;)

take your bar off and lay it on a table to see if it has any bends in it. If it does this would cause the was to cut to one side

i actually have an electric grinder that does a great job every time i have used it, but i was just curious if you can tell which cutter side is higher by the direction the saw is pulling through the wood, in this case right. just curious.

Besides the chain check for worn bar rails and groove.

When sharpening , sharpen first, then check all the cutter lengths, if any are much longer than the others take them back a few strokes to even them up. Make sure you keep the angle the same on both sides.

Use a gauge to check all your rakers and file accordingly. If the cutters are pretty close to even, do the rakers first, so if you nick a cutter you won't have to resharpen it again.

Besides the chain check for worn bar rails and groove.

When sharpening , sharpen first, then check all the cutter lengths, if any are much longer than the others take them back a few strokes to even them up. Make sure you keep the angle the same on both sides.

Use a gauge to check all your rakers and file accordingly. If the cutters are pretty close to even, do the rakers first, so if you nick a cutter you won't have to resharpen it again.
:agree2::cheers:

If it pulls to the right then the left cutters are sharper and cutting faster thatn the right hand cutters If it pulls left then the opposite is true

I think that is right. But it may be that it's not the "sharpness", but the angles are different on each side...which is easy to do when changing sides.

If cutting to the right

the left side of the bar is the lowest forcing the chain to angle to the right.
Often this crooked cutting is due to worn bar rail groove, wrong gauge of chain for the bar. ie .50 in a .58 or .58 in a .63

You must be left-handed.I'm right-handed and if I'm not careful,I make my chains cut to the left.I think it has to do with the fact that I'm more comfortable filing the right side cutters so they end up short.Even using the same number of strokes per tooth,I cut away more from the right.

All the information about truing the bar is essential to maintaining an efficient cutting saw.You probably have a combination of all of the above going on.

Last edited:
They all cut to the left or right. You have to get used to each saw and start the cut with the bar leaned way over so at the end you will be straight. If it is so bad you can't compensate then put it on Ebay and say it runs good!

They all cut to the left or right. You have to get used to each saw and start the cut with the bar leaned way over so at the end you will be straight. If it is so bad you can't compensate then put it on Ebay and say it runs good!
:agree2:Never had one side sharper than the other or the wrong size chain on or the bar bent or the rails mushroomed out but have had one side ground down more than the other and then it cuts at an angle.:givebeer:

My 440 was cuttin on a slant. Dealer put it on the counter and the bar rocked--it was bent.

It could be that your rakers arent even, ot you have bad angles on your teeth, or you have hit somthing and deformed your teeth, or your rail is worn out.

Latest posts

Back