Chainsaw Dyno bring saws to there knees. Build from start to end with video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got the dyno done for the most part. I have lots of pictures of the build and a video of a MS 460 begging for mercy.
Dynosketch_zps0a9ab13d.png
IMAG0489_zpseb1ec8ec.jpg
IMAG0527_zps43095be7.jpg
IMAG0525_zpsf5dbb655.jpg
IMAG0524_zpsd6884305.jpg
IMAG0538_zps4a5c847c.jpg
IMAG0556_zps2449038a.jpg
IMAG0581_zps6fbee79e.jpg

I only ran this 460 so far and didn't do much testing yet. The coolest thing I seen so far is how much the air filter affects the saw. I was running the saw under load and recording my numbers when I thought I'll remove the air filter while its under load and see if it does anything. Wow I pulled the air filter off and the saw gained 400 rpms and the hydraulic pressure raised along with the torgue reading on the scales. I figured it out quick and the saw gained .3 hp with taking the air filter off. I'm so excited and cant wait to put all kinds of mods to the test. I ran a full tank of fuel through the 460 in five min. The hyd oil reached 150 deg in five min so I wont need a cooler. This is probably the most fun I've had desighning and building. Here's the video[video=youtube_share;VGpxVzkYU70]http://youtu.be/VGpxVzkYU70[/video]

Looks like your adding leverage to the 1' bar the way you have it welded 2.5" off of the center of the axis. (on the square tube) An observation not a factual statement.

My opinion: You theoretically should have the bar tangent to the axis and 12" from the center of that axis for the true ft lbs.
That being said its the first one I have seen and I think your right on for measuring gains of real world saw performance.
Who cares about hp ratings, that thing looks to be as good a gadget as we need.

Its not as much fun as cutting cookies on a clock though.

Very cool, did you get a HP reading close to stock?

This 460 is one that I took the squish band way to far on and was very disapointed in the torque. My brothers 460 and my 461 kill this one so this saw is a bad one for testing. It came out to only 3.83 hp. It was easy to see an increase in power when I removed the air filter so I'm stoked about that. I'll test a stock 461 next to see how close the readings are. Don't worry there will be many more vids to show with numbers later.

I have to give credit and another thank you to bigwhiteash for making the shaft for the 24 tooth sprocket to ride on. Thank to anyone who gave there ideas. Dynodave helped me with his knowledge from a bike dyno.

Fantastic job Chad!

There is a German testing site that has actual dyno numbers on stock saws (don't remember the site off the top of my head) Sawtroll?

This would help you better corilate your test numbers because the advertised hp numbers on saws are not real accurate as you probably know.

Fantastic job Chad!

There is a German testing site that has actual dyno numbers on stock saws (don't remember the site off the top of my head) Sawtroll?

This would help you better corilate your test numbers because the advertised hp numbers on saws are not real accurate as you probably know.

Good to know! Thanks

May I suggest an experiment/test. How about doing engine mods step by step, one mod then test, then another. Such as muffler mod - test, then port the exhaust only - test, tighten up the squish clearance - test, etc. etc.

May I suggest an experiment/test. How about doing engine mods step by step, one mod then test, then another. Such as muffler mod - test, then port the exhaust only - test, tighten up the squish clearance - test, etc. etc.

That's the plan. I'm going to test my 461 stock and then with a dual port muffler shortly.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't that sorta be the fundamental reason to go to the trouble of designing such a prototype in the first place?

Latest posts

Back