Chainsaw Get Together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would of been nice to do a cut with the bellybar and time it them cut with a normal bar, I know Paul I cut with both but donot know if the belly bar cut faster , I am sure it did but by how much and yes I gets my vote for the wildest looking saw there

The belly bar is not something I needed, it was something I WANTED. It's definately fun and there is a small advantage to it on a single cut. For what I paid for the bar I could have had the saw ported (well, almost).

I think that is why Art Martin switched to a Salmon belly bar since Rotax had a problem with the change over. He was running 1\2" on the 090.

Hey Lobo,

That big pile of logs that NBLogger (Paul) and RAHTreelimbs (Rich) are sitting on were used a bit for warming up the saws. Ed and Russ carefully selected some nice round beech for the timed runs. Russ said the wood in the big pile was a bit dirty; that's his supply for home heating with his outdoor wood furnace.

I think with 30 or so guys cutting cookies all day long, we probably only cut through maybe 15 feet of wood; maybe 150 or 200 cookies. Some cookies were 1/4 inch thick, others a bit more, and occasionally there would be a knot that would require a 3 or 4 inch cookie to be cut to get around. Plus, with the metal stand, we'd leave behind maybe a one foot section since it was hard to keep the small piece strapped down on the stand.

General Questions about GTG

I have some questions about a typical GTG- I did a search and thought I would put it here. How many people usually show up at a GTG? Do women and children show up too or just men and maybe some teen boys? What about accident liability? Do you require people to sign a statement or is it just understoood everything is at your own risk? What about restroom facilities? I can't imagine very many ladies are going to want 20 guys with muddy boots comming in to take a dump. So I suppose its in the woods or maybe a makeshift outhouse. What time frame do they usually have? Maybe start at 8:00am 1 hr for lunch then wrap it up around 4:00 and then eats say at 6:00. Lets say several is comming is it too much to ask to chip in for the eats?

I thought about asking a guy at work if he would be willing to have one on his property- he might. He has 80 acres, a tractor and a backhoe to work with. He's cutting down some 20" oaks and carrying them to the mill. Then he cuts firewood now and then and gives it to charities and older people. So there would be plenty of wood cutting and splitin. It would be really cool if we could find somebody with a team of horses to come over. He's about 30 miles from me but he's near an interstate with hotels and campgrounds near by so thats a big plus.

Im not going to even say where its at now because Im just dreaming. Just wanted to get some general info. .... I might just ask him if he's interested.

Well,I hosted the Indiana GTG last fall.

As for liability, Lets just hope people here know they are on their own.
As for restroom facilities I have a bathroom in my garage that everyone was welcome to.

I would not volunteer up your buddies place.. cause you never know... anything can happen.
Do you not have enough space to host?

Back