Chainsaw hours ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiluxxulih

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many hours are chainsaws good for ? I bought a new Stihl 044 in 1999 because it had a big dicount because the oil cap protector was broken off when the saw shop recieved it , it only has probably ten hours on it since new .

How many hours are chainsaws good for ? I bought a new Stihl 044 in 1999 because it had a big dicount because the oil cap protector was broken off when the saw shop recieved it , it only has probably ten hours on it since new .

Wow. that 1999 saw was rated for 11 hours of use. Better box it up and ship it to me so I can wring the last hour out of it and give it a proper burial.LOL

Wow. that 1999 saw was rated for 11 hours of use. Better box it up and ship it to me so I can wring the last hour out of it and give it a proper burial.LOL

Hey now I aint that stupid , the only reason I bought is because of the discount from the shipping damage I cant resist a good deal :) I usually just use the old saws first to save the 044 .

Depends on how you take care of it and how often you run it.

Whats funny is I had to take my Stihl MS250 in to the shop the other day and it has probably 10 hours or less (April 2005 purchase date) because I bought it to pack on the ATV instead of the big saws , I could not figure out whats wrong with it so I had to swallow my pride and take it in :mad: I am thinking coil but i dont know . I should have just bought a 20 inch bar for the old 044 basket case or the 046 fixer upper .

Rest assured, at the rate you've been using that 044 you will never wear it out ! Seriously, an 044 will run hundreds of hours as long as you run good mix in it and don't run it lean.

Rest assured, at the rate you've been using that 044 you will never wear it out ! Seriously, an 044 will run hundreds of hours as long as you run good mix in it and don't run it lean.

Should run thousands of hours, actually.

Should run thousands of hours, actually.

I read somewhere on here (searched and couldn't find it) that Stihl products should last around 2500 hours, given you do the correct maintenance and all that good stuff.

I look at it a another way, return on investment.
I did the sums on my 026 circa 1989 used as I work trees part time over 20 years. This saw has made me about $3000 a year. That's $60 grand for an $800 saw take away costs wear n tear. I reckon shes given back about $50,000+. She is stihl going strong just startin to get a wiff smokey.

My 066 was used when I bought it and if I had to guess, I would say I prolly put around.....heck who knows, but thousands for sure.

Sold it to buy the 660 because my CAD kicked in telling me to buy a new saw. Sold the 066 to my boss and it still runs good as it did when I bought it. I get to run it all the time still so it's all good.

A stihl chainsaw, if taken care of well, I think could last a firewood guy a lifetime. Prolly 5-10 years of everyday use, more or less. Either way, they are worth the pricetag I know that.

Theres other great brands in the world too. I'm a Stihl guy so I won't name names.:cheers:

I wouldn't expect more than 600 hrs in a pro-use situation.

They'll fall off the skidder or truck, and get run over by then.

Or get stolen

Or fall out of the bucket/tree

Or the siren call of the new models will beckon, and then the old one will gather dust.

A non-pro user may never wear a saw out, but it will fail from disuse/misuse. Bad gas, neglect, condensation, physical damage, etc.

Although a long way short of it's expected lifespan one of my modded 7900's has a few hundred hours on it and still has the same compression as when Brad Snelling built it...

check out this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50007&highlight=2000+hours

Lakeside has forgotten more about 2 stroke engines than Iwill ever know.
It may not be the same saw but I know that it sthil applies.

There are several thread where LS mentions 2000 hours for P&C lifetime on a well maintained quality saw.

But like others have said there are other factors to consider. My dad's tight ass boss told my dad to fall a tree on one of his newer saws every year so the boss could claim insurance.

Not to get an argument started, but 2000 hours is alot of time. Thats alot of strokes and alot of revolutions. I just dont see it, Buts thats just me.:)

2000 hours

Not to be argumentative either, I've heard the 2000 hour figure expressed elsewhere. Can anyone comment on what the expectancy may be under proper conditions (whether it would be increased) should synthetic oil be used thru the life of a saw...and this is not another "oil" thread.

To put one hour on any piece of equipment it has to run at rated speed or RPM for one hour. If it runs slower than rated speed it will take more than an hour to put a hour of engine time on. This is how it works on cable driven tachometers on tractors. So to put 2000 hours on a chainsaw it would have to run at its rated RPM for 2000 hours. I figure a chainsaws rated RPM is full throttle. Since chainsaws are not run wide open all the time it take more than 2000 hours to put 2000 hours of engine time on. Also 2000 hours is like running your chainsaw at rated RPM for 83 days straight.

Well I just bought something else I probably wont use much a Stihl TS700 off of EBay for $698 , watch it will get here and have thousands of hours on it , it looked pretty good for a chopsaw though .

I have an '88 VW jetta GLI with close ratio 5 speed that has approx 400,000 on the engine has never been rebuilt. I recently parked it because the oil pressure light comes on during certain odd circumstances. Assuming the computer is correct when it computes my average speed as 38 miles per hour, this car has been driven for 10526 hours. It has been driven at excessive speeds for long periods and idled in LA traffic for long periods. Still doesn't use any more oil than it ever has. I also doesn't have the zip it did 200,000 ago but still more than competes when I want it to. Yes I believe a well built 2 stroke engine can last 2000 hours if properly cared for.
However from what I have read on this site, and seen of the loggers that logged my FIL's place, abuse probably kills more saws than old age and well cared for use. 2 summers ago My father gave me his homelite XL I remember him using this saw when I was a kid to prune the almond trees we grew. to my knowledge it has never had anything done to it except routine maintenence. He also had Homelite super XL he bought when it was a brand new model it was running fine with nothing but routine maintenence for all those years till it sprouted legs and ran off.

I've always heard about 1-2k hours depending on the individual piece of equipment and how well it's maintained.

Back