Chainsaw Mill and MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaRed

Reaction score
If you read my previous post about getting a Husky 455 as a gift, this is a sort of continuation.

I was looking at the MS390 but I would like to do some small log lumber milling (vs normally cutting into turning blanks) so I was looking at the 361 as the next step up, but only if I can do the kind of milling I expect to do int he near future.

Expectations are that I would be using a Granberg Alaskan mill.
No logs over 24"; most of what I've encountered a could be slabbed with a
20" bar. I wouldn't expect to mill more than a 1/2 to a dozen 6'-7' logs in a year. Mostly hardwood.

How would the 361 fair in these conditions? Would it be disappointing enough that I would need an even bigger saw? If that's the case then I'll likely stick with the 390 or keep the Husky and forget about milling for now. Or will the performance be acceptable enough for the small amount I plan to do.

Basically I am trying to justify the 361 to myself by stepping up to it because it will empower milling.

Thanks
bob

If you want to justify the ms361 just make good use of it and it will pay for itself. That saw is not suited for milling most milling setups utilize 90cc+ saws and a 70cc saw would be the smallest I would use. I have seen some modified saws 60-70cc used for milling and they worked pretty good up to 30" dia but that is another story. Basically ms390 ok saw ms361 great saw. Milling with the ms361 is possible but it would be slow going.

Since you're not planning to do much milling, I'd go with the 361. It's a pro saw versus the middle of the road 390. Sure, it will be underpowered, but it will do the job. Get a ripping chain made, that will help, as will modding the muffler and retuning the saw. Optionally, I'd look for a 372 Husky. They can be found for maybe $100 more....or locate a used one...or even a cheaper 365 Husky or Dolmar PS-6400, which is cheaper than a 361...and rated 0.3 hp more--it is a lot heavier, though.

Last edited:
Very good post by rbtree above!

I would try to find a Logosol set-up, with PMX chain, to minimize the load on the saw....

...and don't do it until it is well run in!

How much are the 361's going for at your dealer? What about a 7900? If the price isn't to far off the 361's it might be a good option. 79cc's and over 6hp it should do the trick for the amount you want to do.

Toyjunkie, I think they're running $580ish for a 361.

Looking at the specs again, I'm surprised at the closeness of the power output. One would think that Stihl would make a bigger deal of the differences besides calling one pro.

bob

Toyjunkie, I think they're running $580ish for a 361.

Looking at the specs again, I'm surprised at the closeness of the power output. One would think that Stihl would make a bigger deal of the differences besides calling one pro.

bob

Max hp is just a small part of the total story.....

I'd pay a portable band mill to come in rather than using the snot out of a chainsaw. Haveing run one for 7 years, cutting up 7 or 8 smaller log would cost around $80 to $100. And you'ld get at least 50% more lumber. Steve

If you read my previous post about getting a Husky 455 as a gift, this is a sort of continuation.

I was looking at the MS390 but I would like to do some small log lumber milling (vs normally cutting into turning blanks) so I was looking at the 361 as the next step up, but only if I can do the kind of milling I expect to do int he near future.

20" bar. I wouldn't expect to mill more than a 1/2 to a dozen 6'-7' logs in a year. Mostly hardwood.

How would the 361 fair in these conditions? Would it be disappointing enough that I would need an even bigger saw? If that's the case then I'll likely stick with the 390 or keep the Husky and forget about milling for now. Or will the performance be acceptable enough for the small amount I plan to do.

Basically I am trying to justify the 361 to myself by stepping up to it because it will empower milling.

Thanks
bob

For the $$ of a new MS390, or even more for the MS361, you could get a really good, used 046/460 ,066/660, or big Husqvarna. I think that you give up 4" of bar when using the chainsaw mill, so you'll need something to pull a pretty long bar and chain.:chainsawguy:

For the $$ of a new MS390, or even more for the MS361, you could get a really good, used 046/460 ,066/660, or big Husqvarna. I think that you give up 4" of bar when using the chainsaw mill, so you'll need something to pull a pretty long bar and chain.:chainsawguy:

I doubt he can trade in the new 455 his wife bought him for a used saw.....:jawdrop:

Milling 20 inch wood with a 361 is a joke... My 066 is geting close to max at 20 inch....

Might be o.k. for 10-12 inch, but ... and a 440 will also struggle at 20 inches...

Last edited:

Thanks
bob

Step up to at least a 70 cc saw, ie Husky 372XP.......best there is.

Milling 20 inch wood with a 361 is a joke... My 066 is geting close to max at 20 inch....

Might be o.k. for 10-12 inch, but ...

+1
361 won't last 5 minutes. Bucking 2 footers with a 20" bar is pushing it. I wouldn't put mine on mill, that's fo sho.

I'm new to milling but everything I've read suggests that trying to mill 20'' hardwood with a 361 (or similar sized < 70 cc saw) isn't a great idea. You may want to ask the folks here for their thoughts. If you were to do it, I'd stick to short milling lengths as the saw will cut rather slowly and the longer you run it, the higher the chances of overheating it. A logosol or similar attachment would allow you to narrow the cant quicker than a Alaskan style mill so you might be able to avoid burying all 16'' of your 20'' bar for an extended period of time.

I only use my 036 for firewood and go to a 038M for big firewood.

My 066 with picco chain goes fast with a 16" bar milling and does alright with a 25" in hardwood. I could not imagine using my 036 on the mill unless I was just edging boards.

The 361 is an improvement, but was made to do what the 036 did.

If you are milling bigger is better and even a 16" X 12' cut with my 066 makes me wonder if I need a 088.............anybody got a good used one.......

Latest posts

Back