chainsaw mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowsuki

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how hard would it be to make a gas chainsaw run on diesel. in model rc engines there is said to be a performence gain. the first step would be compression what about timing.herd they use to make diesel chainsaws.sence they do not make them any more i asume must not be worth the truble. just wondering.

It would be hard to get the compression high enough to burn conventional diesel and if you did, could you crank it. The fuel injection system would be a problem too. On glow engine conversions the fuel has additives,( ether and amyl nitrate to get it to ignite and it goes off with a little bang unlike the progressive push with injection. I dont know whether you can scale that system up but the fuel is too expensive to run in a saw. Hp. per lb. sucks on a diesel.

those little RC nitro motors are a fair amount different then a typical chainsaw motor...

ccicora said:
The chainsaws I've seen that run on RC fuel run preaty good. the only problem is they are race saws only...

The RC fuel for for the diesel engined jobs is different from regular RC glow fuel though. The regular glow fuel can be had from 10 to 40% nitro and with either castor or synthetic oil at 15 to 20% oil so will burn pretty good in a saw that is set up for it. At 20 bucks a gallon it is pricey and you have to be particular about storing it in full to the neck containers and out of light or it gets waterlogged and dead quick. The flushing is a pain. A good quality glow engine has stainless bearings to resist pitting from the agression of the alcohol and nitro in the fuel. Yep it is great go go juice but not very practical.

No crap...... I never realized that. Oh and I pay more per Gal. than $20 for the fuel I run..... I just love the pink candy....:blob2:

I used to have a diesel airplane motor when I was a kid. I still have the lacerations to my right wrist from coming into contact with the propeller:bang:
Anyway, as I recall it was very cantacerous to start and did alot of farting and sputtering before I got it to run. It had a counter piston in the cylinder head which allowed you to change the compression ratio for starting purposes.
John

Back