Chainsaw Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snorider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys , never owned a chainsaw before plan to buy one soon to start clearing 5 acres so I've been looking at different chainsaw models are you guys recommend and I've been seeing a lot of posts discussing modifications . So I am wondering what chainsaw models are people doing modifications to . I am thinking you can do modifications to pretty much any saw but what's common like the exhaust modification that type a thing or which saws are the models most commonly modified?

You can do mods to every saw. Muffler mods are done on almost all saws. You can also change the number of teeth on your sprocket to alter chain speeds. When you start talking porting, timing advances, and more involved mods they are typically done on your pro grade saws.

Hey guys , never owned a chainsaw before plan to buy one soon to start clearing 5 acres so I've been looking at different chainsaw models are you guys recommend and I've been seeing a lot of posts discussing modifications . So I am wondering what chainsaw models are people doing modifications to . I am thinking you can do modifications to pretty much any saw but what's common like the exhaust modification that type a thing or which saws are the models most commonly modified?

Having bought 2 new saws before getting on here I'd probably suggest buying a used one from one of the great guys here. Unless you just have plenty of money but even then you can find one well modded and new sometimes for a great price as well. My $0.02.

Muffler mod is the most common mod I've seen from guys.

Just for the record, you can do a fine job of cutting w/o any mods to the saw what-so-ever. More people than not go that route.

Not sure why you are so hopped up on modifying a saw if you've never owned one before. When you buy one, just don't buy one that is too small. If you do, you'll be reminded of that each & every time you use it.

Whatever saw you end up with, use it for a while before you decide to mod it in any way. You just might find out it cuts and runs just fine w/o any modifications.

Just for the record, you can do a fine job of cutting w/o any mods to the saw what-so-ever. More people than not go that route.

Not sure why you are so hopped up on modifying a saw if you've never owned one before. When you buy one, just don't buy one that is too small. If you do, you'll be reminded of that each & every time you use it.

Whatever saw you end up with, use it for a while before you decide to mod it in any way. You just might find out it cuts and runs just fine w/o any modifications.
Agreed!
Also, learn how to keep a chain very sharp. A stock saw with a wicked sharp chain will cut faster than a modded saw with a dull chain.

Thanks guys. I'm a motorcycle guy and with the harley brand...thing needs a lot of mods to bring it alive.

A Stihl isn't like a Harley. No need to modify it to make it run well. They work great right off the shelf. The saws don't shake your teeth out of your head.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is get experience with cutting and find what you prefer I my self like a husky you my like sthil it all depends on the operator. Far as my preference is concerned I like a 372 xp and any saw you choose you can do mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to buy one looks like there's a lot of good ones on the forum but I'm more in the position of trying to find somebody to trade a rifle scope that I have and I'm thinking that shipping on the Chancer would be pretty spendy

Some times you can find older saws on eBay that are great and it's easy to get screwed over as well I've sold and bought some it's best sometimes to ask to talk to the seller just have to watch for scams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd like to buy one looks like there's a lot of good ones on the forum but I'm more in the position of trying to find somebody to trade a rifle scope that I have and I'm thinking that shipping on the Chancer would be pretty spendy

A lot also depends on what dealer you have nearby if you were to need parts. Husky is far from me so I stay with Stihl. A good guy to get with on a used saw could be @chipper1

A lot also depends on what dealer you have nearby if you were to need parts. Husky is far from me so I stay with Stihl. A good guy to get with on a used saw could be @chipper1

Great thanks! Is there a way to search the trading section by location? I'm near Seattle

Welcome to AS Snorider.
Guys will modify anything they can get there hands on. Most guys will also suggest you grab up something cheap and start playing with different mods.
But as already suggested the first initial mod most guys do are muffler mods.
I was wondering what type of trees you will be cutting as well as the size of them. We measure trees by the DBH or the diameter at breast height.
Are you familiar with tuning a 2-stroke engine.

Welcome to AS Snorider.
Guys will modify anything they can get there hands on. Most guys will also suggest you grab up something cheap and start playing with different mods.
But as already suggested the first initial mod most guys do are muffler mods.
I was wondering what type of trees you will be cutting as well as the size of them. We measure trees by the DBH or the diameter at breast height.
Are you familiar with tuning a 2-stroke engine.

Game over I called him in...

2-stoke...it's been awhile, not sure on type of trees but there is some probably 1.5' diameter mostly old dead stuff I need to take down

2-stoke...it's been awhile, not sure on type of trees but there is some probably 1.5' diameter mostly old dead stuff I need to take down

One of the keys to a 2-stroke is to be able to tune them, whether modded or stock.
It does matter what type of tree you are cutting as a softwood that is that size can be cut up very easily with a 50cc saw, but if these are tall Harwood trees that stay at 1.5' for a long way you will probably be wanting a 60-70cc saw.
Do you have a friends in the area who have saws you can run on your property so you can get an idea of what will work best for you.
I would also include some safety gear into any price calculations your making. A helmet is a very important piece of gear when cutting dead trees out as the limbs can kill you in a flash when they break free from the tree you are felling, or from other trees that get hit with the branches. You will also be wise to get some nice chaps. I'm not suggesting that you get gear just because your new to cutting, but most of the guys who cut every day wear them because stuff happens.
Hard to give much advice on the little info given, but hopefully it does help.

Latest posts

Back