chainsaw not cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got to looking at things and noticed the grinding wheel on my sharpener was rounded, flipped it, sharpened a chain, cut a log and straight through like a new one, i dont know if thats a normal thing you have to do but it worked, im sure someone knows if thats normal

i dont know if thats a normal thing you have to do but it worked, im sure someone knows if thats normal
Yes, you have to dress the wheel to maintain the proper radius. Flipping also helps.

That doesn't totally explain why your chains weren't cutting, but all's well that ends well. Thanks for the update.

i dont know whats goin, i sharpened the chains, did the rakers, doubled and triple checked to make sure the chain is on right, got a different log, started cutting, and same thing, in a few inches then just spinning chain, went through 2 chains, 2 different logs, think im just going to go get a bar chain combo and see if that will help, not sure whatelse it would be, i have sharpened my own chains for 3 years now and have never had any problems with them

This is a dumb thought, but I've seen it done.

Did you put the chain on backwards?:newbie:

jerry-

i dont know whats goin, i sharpened the chains, did the rakers, doubled and triple checked to make sure the chain is on right, got a different log, started cutting, and same thing, in a few inches then just spinning chain, went through 2 chains, 2 different logs, think im just going to go get a bar chain combo and see if that will help, not sure whatelse it would be, i have sharpened my own chains for 3 years now and have never had any problems with them

I think you could get a lot more help by posting a pic.

what would the proper way to dress the wheel be?
They makes stones for dressing wheels. Try this Bailey's CBN wheel cleaning stick

What happens is the wheel wears mostly on the side and not the tip. This changes the angle slightly. The problem could be exaggerated if the grinding depth is too shallow.

I'm having a hard time picturing a wheel worn so bad that the cutting angles are totally dysfunctional, but I suppose anything is possible.

i see your from georgia so its not your fault you have words come out of your mouth that might not sound to intelligent to the rest of the world but no i didnt sharpen the back of the cutters, i flipped my grinding wheel and no more problems, thanks to everyone for the ideas, appreciate the help (ahh the good ol south)

i see your from georgia so its not your fault you have words come out of your mouth that might not sound to intelligent to the rest of the world but no i didnt sharpen the back of the cutters, i flipped my grinding wheel and no more problems, thanks to everyone for the ideas, appreciate the help (ahh the good ol south)

Glad you got to cutting again. Just a bit of friendly advice. Don't go bashing a region because you don't like what one person said.

Ya damn yankee :hmm3grin2orange:

way to make a new guy feel welcome! He fixed his problem. He is happy. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I guess now that I read it again, my words could have been taken a few different ways. All I was trying to say is He might benefit from posting a pic of his cutters. I was actually trying to aid him from the few post that were bashing him. He's happy. nuff said.

Listen Junior, I was trying to help you just as everyone else responding to this thread. Damn right I'm from Georgia and you better bet I'll match wits with you ANY day. Yep I'm a hillbilly but I'm also a Journeyman AREOSPACE technician, pilot, and a few other things you probably don't know exists...So at any time in ANY subject you want I'll sit down with you and show you just how stupid you most likely are....

Enjoy the last help you'll ever get from me; Dont sharpen the back of the cutters, Just turn the chain around noob.

One other thing Einstein,

If in the future you decide the written word is the medium of choice for assailing someones intelligence, maybe you should try to compose a comprehensible missive that is not LADEN with grammatical errors.

I should be capitalized, your first use of "your" is wholly incorrect and should read "you're" Georgia should be capitalized your first use of "to" should read "too". Ah the damn ol yankees...

It would serve you well to remember an old quote,

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to use ones keyboard to remove all doubt."

(You boys don't reckon he rubbed me wrong do ya?)
(In my book he's ready for the top of the stairs!)

- Hillbilly, out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attention
Let it be known:
Hillbilly does not recognize that everyone living North of the Mason / Dixon line is a "Damn Yankee"
Only some that act like "DY's"

Words for Kyle and maybe others;
Any time you approach a brotherhood or group of any sort that you wish to be a part of, remember to come with a humble heart and a willingness to help and especially a rubber skin. That is to say, Expect to take some mild ribbing, otherwise the group will never get to know you or realize your value or potential as a member or part of the team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Interesting. Kyle has not replied back with his knowledge level.

Al Einstein E=mc2 all thought he was crazy and he did soso in school

haha, just wanted to get under your skin a little, didnt mean to make ya freak out, mission accomplished, take your meds man

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back