Chainsaw porting??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in trying my hand at
porting chainsaws. I currently have a poulan saw that's in need of some work thought I'd use it as my lab rat.
I run stihls, although their not new I can't afford to ruin one either. I've got a dremel 4300 with flexshaft, is this a suitable tool for the job? With proper grinding/honing attachments of course. Or should I buy something else?
Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm interested in trying my hand at
porting chainsaws. I currently have a poulan saw that's in need of some work thought I'd use it as my lab rat.
I run stihls, although their not new I can't afford to ruin one either. I've got a dremel 4300 with flexshaft, is this a suitable tool for the job? With proper grinding/honing attachments of course. Or should I buy something else?
Thanks in advance.
You can do some with just a Dremel but upper transfers…nope.
If you can’t afford to screw up a cylinder, have a pro do it…nothing personal 😉
Want the best, or one of the best?
http://www.ccspecialtytool.com/porting-polishing-kits-s/100.htm

Search "Poulan 2150 build thread"

Been a pretty fun learning experience. You definitely learn way faster working on a cylinder in steps as I describe in my thread.

I have a dremel as well, transfers are hard to reach. Double cut bits work pretty fast so be careful not to cut to much.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

For occasional use a dremel is fine. The foredom, hand pieces etc would be nice, but not worth the investment for a beginner imo. Whatever you try on, make sure you can get the saws cheap for practice or cylinders for one saw really cheap.

For occasional use a dremel is fine. The foredom, hand pieces etc would be nice, but not worth the investment for a beginner imo. Whatever you try on, make sure you can get the saws cheap for practice or cylinders for one saw really cheap.
Yeah, I'm trying to just use what I got for now. If I can become proficient at it I'll probably invest in more equipment and offer my services to the public.
But for right now I don't have a grand laying around to spend on tools.

All I use to port is a dremel. I only port my own saws really, I've done two for my neighbors. I'll never make money porting saws but it's a fun little hobby.
I use these for upper transfers with very light pressure so they dont jump around, it's slow going but works ok, those bits are 25 bucks Canadian.
1714215535594.png

Tinman's videos are pretty helpful when it comes to learning how to time a cylinder. His cutaway series to be exact. Again, you learn much faster actually doing it. I tried to search and search trying to find the right information so that I wouldn't mess up or ruin a cylinder. Looking back if I just would've jumped in and started learning I would be further ahead when it comes to knowledge of porting. You ARE going to ruin cylinders when starting out. Pick a cheap platform and go for it.

Tinman's videos are pretty helpful when it comes to learning how to time a cylinder. His cutaway series to be exact. Again, you learn much faster actually doing it. I tried to search and search trying to find the right information so that I wouldn't mess up or ruin a cylinder. Looking back if I just would've jumped in and started learning I would be further ahead when it comes to knowledge of porting. You ARE going to ruin cylinders when starting out. Pick a cheap platform and go for it.
See I have a mac 3200 which I know is just a homeowners saw but it runs fairly decent and I thought about trying my hand at it. Only thing is I'm told it's a clam shell design and I don't really understand that.

Clamshells can be ported just like any other saw. Looks like that saw has some okay options on ebay for replacement cylinders. Nothing like the aftermarket that cloned saws or poulan clamshell saws have.

Clamshell refers to the engine design. The 2 main ones are "Clamshell" and "Mag Cased" pictured below in order You'll see that clamshell saws bolt together to form the engine while mag cased saws have a top end that bolts to 2 case halves that form the bottom end.

1714264495659.png

1714264610945.png

Clamshells can be ported just like any other saw. Looks like that saw has some okay options on ebay for replacement cylinders. Nothing like the aftermarket that cloned saws or poulan clamshell saws have.

Clamshell refers to the engine design. The 2 main ones are "Clamshell" and "Mag Cased" pictured below in order You'll see that clamshell saws bolt together to form the engine while mag cased saws have a top end that bolts to 2 case halves that form the bottom end.

View attachment 1173169

View attachment 1173170
Wow ok so I thought it was the size of the intake and exhaust ports that referred to the clam shell design. So that's interesting, so basically you just remove from the floor or ceiling like normal? Sorry I'm a novice and just interested in the idea.

Wow ok so I thought it was the size of the intake and exhaust ports that referred to the clam shell design. So that's interesting, so basically you just remove from the floor or ceiling like normal? Sorry I'm a novice and just interested in the idea.
So just to understand better, my poulan bad boy bolts then the case together so that is the actual clamshell.

Yeah the clamshell saws have all the same aspects of a mag cased "pro" saw. Exhaust port, Intake Port, transfers, squish band, etc. They all work the same.

It's a rare saw that I'm trying to figure out. It's 60cc and it's a tim allen edition from tool time. Late 90s and I want to get it ported, I just don't want to ruin the cylinder. It is the same a 330 I think but idk. Bodi from novice lumberjack has a lot on it but I'm just confused on alot.

Attachments

• 20240427_205211.jpg
    20240427_205211.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_205223.jpg
    20240427_205223.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_205239.jpg
    20240427_205239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
After some google searches, that is a Poulan 3750. That is a mag cased saw. The 2 case halves bolt together and the top end bolts to that.

Latest posts

Back