chainsaw powered band mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie__bc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I read a thread somewhere in this forum about a chainsaw powered band mill called a Ripsaw or something like that. Am I allowed to ask on this forum for details about same, and where to get one?

artie

artie__bc said:
I read a thread somewhere in this forum about a chainsaw powered band mill called a Ripsaw or something like that. Am I allowed to ask on this forum for details about same, and where to get one?

artie

The thread below has a lot of information about using the Ripsaw and it along with several discussions with "woodshop" convinced me to buy one. I've enjoyed it and feel like it's a great addition to a csm. I've only cut about 1000 bf +/- of hardwood and close to that in SYP so I'm still a little green :)laugh: no pun intended) but woodshop has a lot of experience with one and is a wealth of information.

There are several Ripsaw users on this board that can answer any questions you might have. Ask away.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19709

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to keep mine or not after fabrication on the bandmill I've got ordered is done (several more months). After you've had time to absorb all the research let me know if you're in the market for one.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the Ripsaw in action... I'm slicing up a 32inch red oak that had blown down. In these pics, I'm cutting 7 inch wide boards from a 7x22 inch cant, 8 ft long.
ripbig1a.jpg

ripbig2.jpg

ripbig3.jpg

ripbig4.jpg

Last edited:
Although you CAN mill a log like this 32 inch log with a Ripsaw alone, it would be tedious, because the Ripsaw will only cut 14" wide and 9 inches deep. You would be taking off a slab, turning the log, take off another, turn log etc etc. For anything over about a 20 inch dia log, the Ripsaw is not ideal by itself. I use a 36" csm to get the log into cants where the Ripsaw can then do its thing. Here are a few pics of how I got that 32 inch log down to where I can mill it with a Ripsaw.

Attach the aluminum guide bar to log with pins tapped into end of log and set the csm on it, ready to mill.
csm1.jpg

slice off first slab
csm2.jpg

I trim off sides of this slab if it has enough "meat" and use the Ripsaw to get at least one or two boards from it.
csm3.jpg

after trimming off two more slabs (I roll the 1500lb log with an auto floor jack and cant hook) I take a bigger bite, and slice off a big cant like this one
csm4.jpg

I can then mill that into boards with the Ripsaw, this is the last board, you can see the stack of milled boards in the forground.
csm6.jpg

Last edited:
Great picts., thanks for posting them!

Many years ago I almost bought a Ripsaw. I still have the video they sent me, around here someplace... I already had been milling with a CSM but i didn't buy the Ripsaw because i was afraid i would outgrow it too fast. I already figured out that a bandmill would not only saw logs, it would make me money too....

Anyway, i ended up buying my first Norwood Lumbermate instead, and then sold it for $800.00 less than i paid for it, after useing it for EIGHT years!!! Man in 8 years that thing saved and made me a lot of $$!!

Anyway, the comparison i'd like to see is, the Ripsaw vs the Delta saw!!! I also almost bought one of them!! I sure like the idea of the 4 stroke motor on the Delta...

Thanks again for the picts...

Rob

Excellent pic's Woodshop.
It looks like you are having to put some forward pressure on the ripsaw.
Is it just the pics or do you have to put more forward pressure then you do the CSM?
Nice setup you got there.
I'm working toward the same handy mobile setup.

smithie55 said:
Excellent pic's Woodshop.
It looks like you are having to put some forward pressure on the ripsaw.
Is it just the pics or do you have to put more forward pressure then you do the CSM?
Nice setup you got there.
I'm working toward the same handy mobile setup.

Actually, when the blade is sharp and new, it takes less umph to push the Ripsaw down the log than the csm, but usually with my csm, I'm cutting much wider slice, thus need to push harder. With the Ripsaw, I tend to kinda lean into the mill as its moving down the log, adjusting leg/body pressure to keep the saw in wood, and not over revving. It just takes less energy that way than trying to push it with arms and upper body completely.

Sawyer Rob said:
Great picts., thanks for posting them!

Anyway, the comparison i'd like to see is, the Ripsaw vs the Delta saw!!! I also almost bought one of them!! I sure like the idea of the 4 stroke motor on the Delta...

Thanks again for the picts... Rob

Curious, what is the "Delta saw" you refer to, is it a portable handheld mill like the Ripsaw?

If I had space, I'd own a larger semi-permanent bandmill, as well as my Ripsaw and csm. The Ripsaw was not designed to compete with larger bandmills, its claim to fame is its portability. You can easily carry the mill to the log, vs trying to get a 2000 lb log to where ever your mill is set up. Something few other mills can boast. NOT trying to knock the Logosol folks... please... but even they are not as portable. They have thier niche too... hey can't we all be friends?????:) :) :) :)

Woodshop, if the manufacturers of the Ripsaw aren't paying you a commission on the advertising you do for them, they should. Your posts here give much more comprehensive information on the saw than their own website does. It's kinda cool they used some of your pictures, though. Keep it coming!:cheers:

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Woodshop, if the manufacturers of the Ripsaw aren't paying you a commission on the advertising you do for them, they should. Your posts here give much more comprehensive information on the saw than their own website does. It's kinda cool they used some of your pictures, though. Keep it coming!:cheers:

:popcorn: ...nope, I have no more affiliation or business relationship with Ripsaw than you do aggie. I do know from talking with them that they are a great bunch of folks that try and keep customers happy. I do like that little mill though, and I sent them my writeup I posted here on AS as well as a disc full of pics and told them they could use anything they want. They did :)

smithie55 said:
?Hey Woodshop,
What size power head are you using on the ripsaw?

A bandmill takes less power to slice through wood than a csm, plus it's never going to be cutting more than a 14" wide board, so a 60cc saw is plenty. I have an MS361 on it now, and I am never lacking enough power for the mill. Easy stuff like 10" softwood, with a sharp blade I run as fast as 5 seconds/foot. A larger saw I would think would only add that much more weight to the mill. Have to say I have never ran one with a larger saw on it though, so can't really say if it wouldn't be even that much better. Flht01, what powerhead do you have on yours?

woodshop said:
A bandmill takes less power to slice through wood than a csm, plus it's never going to be cutting more than a 14" wide board, so a 60cc saw is plenty. I have an MS361 on it now, and I am never lacking enough power for the mill. Easy stuff like 10" softwood, with a sharp blade I run as fast as 5 seconds/foot. A larger saw I would think would only add that much more weight to the mill. Have to say I have never ran one with a larger saw on it though, so can't really say if it wouldn't be even that much better. Flht01, what powerhead do you have on yours?

I'm running a Stihl MS-361 and never feel like I'm short on power, even in the hardwood. I usually keep the throttle at less than wide open even on the wider cuts. The 361 seems to be about right as far as power vrs weight. I was also very surprised at how many cuts I can make on one tank of gas and since the bar oiler is turned all the way down, I can get two tanks of gas to every bar oil fillup. (The bar oiler only has to feed the drive/ring gears.) Just a little added bonus.

I know some of us are starting to sound like an on-line advertisement for the ripsaw but it really is a nice complement to a csm, especially if you already have a powerhead. I studied woodshop's methods and also use a 36" csm to build the cants. I believe I use more fuel and make more sawdust with the three cuts needed to make a cant using the csm than I do making the rest of the cuts with the ripsaw. Like woodshop, I have nothing to gain by "advertising" their product. Just keep in mind, the ripsaw (like a csm) was not meant for production.

For those of you that knew I have a manual bandmill ordered and are wondering why since I like the ripsaw so much, I've still got one barn to finish tearing down and lost two more (between me and my dad) to hurricane Rita last year. We finally decided to replace them (subject to change) using rough cut lumber from a few pines off his place so I got on the phone and ordered a bandmill. The thought of cutting that much pine with a csm and ripsaw :eek: was a little much.

Last edited:
woodshop said:
Curious, what is the "Delta saw" you refer to, is it a portable handheld mill like the Ripsaw?

If I had space, I'd own a larger semi-permanent bandmill, as well as my Ripsaw and csm. The Ripsaw was not designed to compete with larger bandmills, its claim to fame is its portability. You can easily carry the mill to the log, vs trying to get a 2000 lb log to where ever your mill is set up. Something few other mills can boast. NOT trying to knock the Logosol folks... please... but even they are not as portable. They have thier niche too... hey can't we all be friends?????:) :) :) :)

Just a couple of comments here, since I use the Logosol and I questioned the post about the "cheaper cost to get started." The M7 or the WoodWorkers Mill might not be quite as "portable" as the Ripsaw, but the Big Mill is. And it is made by Logosol. Cheaper also. A lot cheaper.
You know, I looked at the Ripsaw and once thought about buying one. In the end, since my brother has a 36" Alaskan (It's OK I guess) I went with the M7. The shocking thing about that is after reading on these Forums about what a mistake it is, the M7 now sits on the same spot that the Honda driven Norwood used to sit.
To me what is being said over and over again, after removing all the BS is the chainsaw is doing all the work and the band saw getting the credit.
Of course we can all be friends. It never entered my mind we wasn't.
Rodney

Just thought I would chime in here.....

I can vouch for the ripsaw and the praise given it by Woodshop.(Not that my .02c is needed)

Woodshop sliced up some poplar at my place and I must say that this mill was very impressive. Looked easy to use and as fast as stated if not faster.

All in all a very nice machine.:clap:

Rodney Sinclair said:
To me what is being said over and over again, after removing all the BS is the chainsaw is doing all the work and the band saw getting the credit.
Of course we can all be friends. It never entered my mind we wasn't.
Rodney
Hey Rodney, was hoping you would chime in on this. :cheers: Please for my sake though, explain better what you mean above about the chainsaw doing the work, and bandsaw getting the credit. I'm a little slow sometimes... honestly don't get your point. I may very well agree with you if I did.

btw... how heavy is that Logosol Big Mill, and how easy is it to carry 100 yards into the woods and set up to where you're actually milling lumber? Also, after adding the cost of a relatively big saw I assume it would need as most milling does, curious how much of a cost diff there really is after taking that into consideration. Remember, you can power a Ripsaw with a $4-500 60cc saw. Most milling needs a more powerful (read more expensive) bigger saw. My 395XP with 36 inch bar/ripping chain was almost a grand.

Again... not wanting to start a pissing match, I'm actually curious what the cost/other differences there are between these mills. I have the feeling, as I said before, that each has it's niche, and thus can't really be compared side by side as if they were both apples.

Rodney Sinclair said:
...the M7 now sits on the same spot that the Honda driven Norwood used to sit...

Hello Rodney,
Read you post 4-5 times trying to make sure I understood what you meant. Unless I'm mistaken, your saying you prefer a chainsaw mill over the bandmill (Norwood) for all your sawing? I've heard of a lot of people that went from a csm mill to a bandmill as their production needs increased but I think your post is the first I've ever read that preferred a semi-stationary type csm over a bandmill. I sure like to hear your thoughts on this.

Kevin

Last edited:
I will try Wooshop, or Dave I think they called you. Everybody I know that has a bandmill will always go back to a chain saw when the log is too big to fit through thier mill. Even you say you use the chainsaw to remove the bark and cut the log down to fit. And to save your band blades.
As far as the size of the saw, you keep talkin' about the large (395) saw on the Alaskan. If you got to buy a large saw for the Alaskan anyway, I fell to see how you get it's cheaper. That would only be if you didn't have to have a big saw. Right?
Now about the Big Mill. It is a couple of adjustable guide rail supports that you screw into each end of the log your milling. The supports along with the guide rail (which looks a lot like the one you use with your Ripsaw), 15 maybe 20#. Cost, I'm guessin' $500 not counting the 395 which you already got. Ted does it even cheaper since he uses the TimberGig($160) and a guide rail he built that works pretty much the same way.
Like you said, no pissin' match. Just a difference of opinion. Different road to get the same place.
Rodney

Back