Chainsaw Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Total voters

cskeller07

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some advice/recommendations. Not my first chainsaw. I have a craftsman 18 inch (Poulan made i believe) that i've already had replaced once because it crapped out.

I recently installed a wood burning furnace add on and plan to use that as main source of heat.
Im expecting to burn through 3-4 cords of wood at least. I fell and buck, and the timberwolf I use can handle just about any size splitting wise, so I cut a wide range of sizes.

My Stihl dealer recommended MS-291 for what i'm doing.
But i've also gotten a lot of Husqvarna recommendations.

Im torn between the two. I have a good Stihl dealer 5 minutes away. A couple Husqvarna dealers listed on their site but none i'm familiar with.

Right now i've come down to Stihl 291 18" ($460 with hardcase) because i have a good local Stihl dealer, or Husqvarna 545 20" ($488 With extra chain and 6 pack of oil) and more bang for buck.

I'm trying not to go much over $500. I've already done the "It's only $100 more" to get myself where i'm at now

Thanks in advance

If you plan on continuing wood use I'd pony up for a pro saw. 50cc should do all you want. It will be lighter and outcut/outlast a 291. Plus easier to work on

If you want to go cheap find a used homelite super XL for $50-100, get some good gloves (no AV) and give the saw to your kid(s) when you're to old too fill the furnace.

If you are set on a 291 why not a 391?

If you plan on continuing wood use I'd pony up for a pro saw. 50cc should do all you want. It will be lighter and outcut/outlast a 291. Plus easier to work on

If you want to go cheap find a used homelite super XL for $50-100, get some good gloves (no AV) and give the saw to your kid(s) when you're to old too fill the furnace.

If you are set on a 291 why not a 391?
I'm 27 so that will be a while.

Nothing against a 391, it's just getting into that "it's only another $100 kind of thing"

Consider the MS 311 at $30 more than 291. Step up in hp. Runs 3/8 chain, has a decomp valve and has free hardcase promotion through Dec 31. Double warranty with oil. On the Husky, a 20" would be pushing. 291 has a little more power. The 311 wil pull 20 3/8

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Go visit the dealers around you to get a feel for them. Ask people from your area what they think of each dealer. Ask people on here. There are people from everywhere on this site. If you are just getting into this, and don't know how to work on your own saws, you'll be using them occasionally, so buy from the dealer you like and trust the most. I think in your case brand isn't as important as the support a good trustworthy dealer can offer.

The OP will have no support for a Maruyama or Dolmar saw so why try to persuade him to buy something he will have no local dealer support for. He has stated there is a good Stihl dealer near him and a couple Husqvarna dealers not far away. Where would he go for support/repair when the non supported saw needs something? By local and have support if you are not a chainsaw mechanic/rebuilder, a 291 will last a homeowner/occasional saw user for a real long time if its just marginally looked after and he can get support if needed locally, no one needs the hassle of mailing their saw off to some remote repair center or scouring the web for parts.

The OP will have no support for a Maruyama or Dolmar saw so why try to persuade him to buy something he will have no local dealer support for. He has stated there is a good Stihl dealer near him and a couple Husqvarna dealers not far away. Where would he go for support/repair when the non supported saw needs something? By local and have support if you are not a chainsaw mechanic/rebuilder, a 291 will last a homeowner/occasional saw user for a real long time if its just marginally looked after and he can get support if needed locally, no one needs the hassle of mailing their saw off to some remote repair center or scouring the web for parts.
What... no Dolmar dealers in Ohio? It was just an idea and not a demand, so relax.

Good then. Do you want to buy a saw off the web?
I'm not opposed to anything really. I'd just feel more comfortable with Stihl or Husky.

I'm what i would consider "weekend mechanic" savvy. I've torn apart carburetors and do oil changes etc... But i would not go as far to say i'm a pro by any means.

Husky and Stihl a good choice but as someone mentioned take a look at the Echo CS-590 Timberwolf at 59.8cc , a pro built saw and 5 year warranty . I think they can be bought for around $400 in the USA .
You may find one of your dealers has Echo too or one nearby .
Good luck with your purchase :D

Personally, I'd want a bit bigger saw if it's gonna be your only nice one (also, if you want that to be the case, read the responses here, buy a saw, delete your account here, cancel your internet, and throw away your computer. Actually, better cut up the computer with the saw so you can't pull it out of the dumpster. If you aren't EXTREMELY careful, you will end up like the rest of us).

I'd look hard at the Husky 555 (detuned 562xp) and the 60cc Echo saws (590, 600, 620). In my opinion, the 545 isn't enough saw for a 20" bar. It'd be swell with a 16". The 291 just isn't worth that kind of money. Not a chance. In my opinion, anyway.

Good luck with your purchase.

Oh, one more thing. I understand having a limited chainsaw budget (or maybe "remember" would be a better word), but if you don't already have them, you NEED to include chaps in your budget. No ifs ands or buts about it. Chaps are under $100 and might save your life.

The echo 590 is hard to beat I've had mine for four years runs a 24 inch bar no problem never been to a dealer.i stripped the chain adjuster echo shipped me one for free with free shipping one was 340.00 on ebay last week. I don't have a 291 but i have a 261 that's been excellent it's happy with a 18 inch bar in hardwood just something to consider.

Back