Chainsaw Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Total voters
The OP will have no support for a Maruyama or Dolmar saw so why try to persuade him to buy something he will have no local dealer support for.

You know this how? I never heard of Maruyama until another thread mentioned the existence of this saw. I went on their website and there were 5 dealers within 30 miles of me. Just because the OP says there are Stihl or Husky dealers nearby him does not automatically mean there would be no one to support him as a Dolmar/Maruyama owner.

Of those two I'll respectfully abstain from voting. Better ways to spend $400 on your one and only saw to me.

Another write in vote here for the Maruyama from Amazon. A pro quality saw and chaps as was pointed out earlier could be at your front door for under $400 instead of spending same on an overweight, overpriced Stihl "farm/ranch" saw and no money left for PPE.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

What is the biggest diameter wood you cut... I assume since you are in Ohio you mainly cut hardwood....some people may disagree, but if a 14"--18" bar will suit you, get the ms250.... they are on sale locally for $275---$300 NEW.....I have a ms250 and still like using it.... yes, I have pro saws I use a lot(ms362 and ms461), but years ago the ms250 was my only saw.....

The main thing you need to study up on is chainsaw safety, saw maintenance, and LEARN how to properly file your chain....I always cut alone, but in the very rare instance a wood-burning buddy of mine tags along I dread it.....they ALWAYS come with a chain that looks like it was used to till up their wife's flower beds(but they swear they sharpened it and they are ready to go!!!)....after they "burn" threw a few pieces, I always end up telling them,"I will be doing the cutting, you just load it!!!"....most people have no idea that with any decent chainsaw, you can EASILY cut a truck load of wood with one tank of gas!!!!

Included a pic with a load of pure shagbark hickory.... easily cut this load with a sharp chain and 1-tank of gas....actually had the 18" bar buried a couple times!!!!
IMG_1202.JPG

If your looking for local dealer support then Stihl. But I will also suggest for your price range the Echo Timberwolf. BUT you HAVE to buy it from AUTHORIZED selling dealers or they will not honor the 5 year warranty.

Personally, I'd want a bit bigger saw if it's gonna be your only nice one (also, if you want that to be the case, read the responses here, buy a saw, delete your account here, cancel your internet, and throw away your computer. Actually, better cut up the computer with the saw so you can't pull it out of the dumpster. If you aren't EXTREMELY careful, you will end up like the rest of us).

I'd look hard at the Husky 555 (detuned 562xp) and the 60cc Echo saws (590, 600, 620). In my opinion, the 545 isn't enough saw for a 20" bar. It'd be swell with a 16". The 291 just isn't worth that kind of money. Not a chance. In my opinion, anyway.

Good luck with your purchase.

Oh, one more thing. I understand having a limited chainsaw budget (or maybe "remember" would be a better word), but if you don't already have them, you NEED to include chaps in your budget. No ifs ands or buts about it. Chaps are under $100 and might save your life.
And by the rest of us you mean with 5-6 saw's?

A good saw plan to have would be:
70cc or bigger for the BIG stuff
Back-up 70cc saw
50 to 60cc saw for the average stuff
2 back-ups for hang ups or other issues
40cc saw for small stuff
Back-up 40cc just in case
30cc top handle
50cc saw for loaning
2nd 50cc loaner
That's unless you cut more than,2 cords a year. Then you might need more.

And that's how I justify CAD to the wife.

And by the rest of us you mean with 5-6 saw's?

Right...... 5......

Right now I'm at 8. Going back down to 7 soon, but I'm sure there'll be more. I was very tempted myself by that rebadged Dolmar on the interweb. By "like the rest of us" i meant afflicted with varying stages of Chainsaw Acquaintance Disorder, having log ins at more than one chainsaw forum, etc etc. Nothing wrong with that, but if you only want to spend $400 on a saw, RUN.

What is the biggest diameter wood you cut... I assume since you are in Ohio you mainly cut hardwood....some people may disagree, but if a 14"--18" bar will suit you, get the ms250.... they are on sale locally for $275---$300 NEW.....I have a ms250 and still like using it.... yes, I have pro saws I use a lot(ms362 and ms461), but years ago the ms250 was my only saw.....

The main thing you need to study up on is chainsaw safety, saw maintenance, and LEARN how to properly file your chain....I always cut alone, but in the very rare instance a wood-burning buddy of mine tags along I dread it.....they ALWAYS come with a chain that looks like it was used to till up their wife's flower beds(but they swear they sharpened it and they are ready to go!!!)....after they "burn" threw a few pieces, I always end up telling them,"I will be doing the cutting, you just load it!!!"....most people have no idea that with any decent chainsaw, you can EASILY cut a truck load of wood with one tank of gas!!!!

Included a pic with a load of pure shagbark hickory.... easily cut this load with a sharp chain and 1-tank of gas....actually had the 18" bar buried a couple times!!!!
View attachment 545216
Correct. Maple, oak, (dead) ash :cry:, locust, chestnut, hickory, occasional pine (not for burning though)

In the interest of cost, there was a recent deal on the ms250 for 299 and it would be good enough for the next few years and hold its value since its the older non-epa model. Then in a couple years you can upgrade to the 60cc or 70cc class if you have the money and interest and the 250 can be used for a backup. It may be a little slower than the 291 but at least it clamshell is all metal and not a plastic bottom end case. I am spoiled since my dealer has stihl, husky, and echo, so in this case they would probably recommend the timberwolf, and obviously more expensive either the 550xp or 261 if you are going to be cutting wood for heat for many years. If you ultimately end up cutting a ton more wood than you think, you could sell some cords and get a 460 used, and the 250/460 combo would work well.

A good saw plan to have would be:
70cc or bigger for the BIG stuff
Back-up 70cc saw
50 to 60cc saw for the average stuff
2 back-ups for hang ups or other issues
40cc saw for small stuff
Back-up 40cc just in case
30cc top handle
50cc saw for loaning
2nd 50cc loaner
That's unless you cut more than,2 cords a year. Then you might need more.

And that's how I justify CAD to the wife.
:lol: you guys are cracking me up

Correct. Maple, oak, (dead) ash :cry:, locust, chestnut, hickory, occasional pine (not for burning though)
Yes ash situation sucks....

But ya man I mean it depends on what size of wood you cut most.... if you are getting mostly tops from loggers get the smallest saw you can get away with, much easier on your body....

If you are constantly using the whole 20" bar, then yes you will need something that size....

Also just to throw this out there I had a ms290, saw worked just fine would cut with my ms362 until you start getting into 18" --20" bar buried situations in hard wood.....

If you go the ms290/ms291 route, see if you can find a NOS ms290 at a dealer around you....I have heard (like all new saws), the ms291 is stingy on oiling a 20" B&C..... that damn ms290 I had oiled the 20" bar easily as well as my ms362 does!!!!!

Whatever you decide a saw should be considered a long term purchase so study up and get the best you can afford .

Fordf150 (POE) is good people. Bought a lot of parts from him and will continue to do so.

I would not rule out a used Makita/Dolmar 6401/6421. I got one in fantastic shape. I mean FANTASTIC! pulled the jug and it was new. Doubt it had two tanks of gas through it, for $350 shipped. It was a strong runner till I put a 7900 top end on it. Home Depot sells them randomly for fairly cheap.

A lot of friends have the Echo 590. Works good. When the handlebar breaks or you want something stiffer you put the aluminum one of an echo 600 and the carb. They are not the lightest 60cc saw, but they are the most cost effective. Chaps are a must have along with compression bandages and quickclot.

FWIW, for ONE saw, for firewood in the midwest, a 60cc saw is where it's at. Light enough you can use it all day, but powerful enough to run enough bar to get through about anything we've got, at least cutting from both sides. For the money, the quality, and the 5 year warranty, IMO, the $400 Echo 590 is where it's at!

Having said that, my dad -literally- cut all of his/our firewood for 25 years with just his Echo 440EVL (still factory rings/piston/etc.) that he bought new in the mid 80's, IIRC. He didn't get more saws until I started buy/sell/trading saws around, a few years ago.

Mike

Back