Chainsaw safety gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on the post facto knowledge from blood letting. And yes, the most self macho whine the most.

BEFORE I got 'wisdom' about PPE, I thought that carrying a mil kit ( extra large Kotex pads and duct tape ) was enough. Plus the know-it-all testosterone using tools.

Got the cut wearing shorts and running shoes clearing brush for our place. Didn't even know that the chain brake was to be used when moving and not cutting. Holding the running saw, moving chain of course, while throwing brush, the chain kissed just above the left knee. The most common place BTW. Kotex to absorb the blood and wipe it clean, then duct tape over the slash to hold it for the 1/2 hour trip to the E.R.
SWMBO and the ER nurse asked whether I wanted the tape pulled "fast or slow". Fast sounded easier. The 2 women were breaking up laughing at my screams and tears as the tape pulled skin and hair. The 8 stitches were easy.

Now, full PPE all the time, no matter how short or simple the cutting. No, I don't shave my legs now.

For fire wood chaps gloves and have to wear glasses( can't see without). Gotten to the point where I don't feel comfortable without my chaps on while cutting. I use the Labonville inserts that hang inside my pants. Doesn't save the pants but does your leg. Proof of that comes in my tin pants when I wore them for the first time, big ole gash mid day. The sent is from a, o I'll just cut that real quick and throw some rounds in the crummy to take home, at the end of the day. Thought for a sec I don't need the brain bucket but put it on any ways, glad I f-ing did. Fell tree was watching up, didn't see any thing took a step back and woke up face down in a nettle patch. A maple branch dropped out of the tree next to the one I fell, size of a bat around and fifteen feet long came straight down. Now own new brain bucket. No dent

Meh....

I usually cut while wearing flip flops and a speedo, especially in winter. I hate working up a sweat and then having it freeze to the shirt...next time ya move the back hair rips out.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was pretty much dressed as You for years , but then went to wearing chaps sans speedo . The waxing was really painful every spring !

I was pretty much dressed as You for years , but then went to wearing chaps sans speedo . The waxing was really painful every spring !

Don those smooth legs feel so good ? Just slide right in and out of the chaps with or without Mr. Speedo. :eek:uttahere2:
We need a waxing sticky Nixon. Pics please. What brand you use ? Gucci ? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Don those smooth legs feel so good ? Just slide right in and out of the chaps with or without Mr. Speedo. :eek:uttahere2:
We need a waxing sticky Nixon. Pics please. What brand you use ? Gucci ? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Doctor Zogs sex wax . It's made for surf boards ,but, I find that the scent attracts blondes . The big down side is that it' s mostly men :msp_mad:

I sense troll.
I'm not a troll. I actually cut unsafely, believe it or not.

I have also read through every post in this thread, and I am surprised at the honest amount of posts that do not try to change my ways on a personal level. Instead I read posts that portray personal experiences and knowhow from people willing to share at no expense to themselves...

Thank You to all contributors. I didn't think this thread would reach to more than one page, to be quite honest.

I wear hard hat, face shield, ear muffs, chaps and steel toe boots. There are few occasions when I don't have PPE on. If I missed a cut or log is a little too long for splitter. But even then most of the time I put gear on or wait till I have more than one or two cuts. It takes less than 5 minutes to put on gear. I would feel pretty stupid if I got hurt and I had all my PPE laying in the truck.

Better to be safe than sorry

An approved hard hat is one of the best devices to save an arborist's head, eyes, ears and neck and it costs about $50.00. What better insurance can there be for personal protection? I started using chaps four years ago and now consider them another worthwhile investment for the worker even though they tend to slide down and they are real hot in humid weather. Gloves and goggles are valuable too.

We hold a safety meeting every day so we make sure we are on the same page and ready to succeed with our assignments. Each month I read the Accidents section of TCIA Magazine with serious concern for all the folks in our industry. I am thankful that we practice safe work methods and believe this way.

near misses and minor injuries tell me I should use ppe because I'm a lazy bustard and I will take short cuts, get hot and bothered, not pay attention.

Big +1 to that right there!

I always wear eye protection since I've only got one good one left. Ya know the story your mother told you when she caught you throwing rocks - all fun n games till someone loses an eye? Well, I was the someone. One eye took the rock leaving the macula and part of the surrounding tissue scarred. A cataract has since developed in the same eye. I won't bump into stuff when looking out that eye but it's useless for getting anything done.

I never wore chaps till I started cutting more seriously last winter and a buddy showed up with a good set of PPE. For $100, it's cheap protection when you get tired, lazy or something just goes sideways. I might not put them on when shortening a split or two at the woodshed, but for any serious work, on they go.

Ear protection for any major work... a 5s run to buzz a limb might not be worth locating the muffs though.

Helmet for all felling work. Switch to eye and ear when limbing and bucking.

Gloves are season-appropriate leather gloves.

Boots are whatever I find in the closet. Usually steel toe for all but winter (deep snow) work when I switch to my deeper boots (that aren't steel toe). I should probably get a pair of those orange boots for cutting, but I hate how cold my feet get in rubber boots (feet sweat then freeze shortly after) so I've been putting it off.

Hell, I even wear ear and eye PPE when splitting. The motor is loud enough to warrant ear protection and eyesight just makes sense for when stuff goes pop. Besides, the other day, I was using the maul to pound a frozen round off the ground and chunk of ice/bark flew up and hit me HARD about 1" to the left of my good eye. Whoda thunk something so seemingly harmless could potentially make a bad day/life?

Last edited:
I have my share of scars too. I should wear more than I do, but I'm stubborn and none too bright I suppose. I like my combo helmet mostly because it keeps the sticks out of my eyes when I'm going through the brush, the chaps make a nice seat cushion on the tractor.

Rant on.

There's another site I'm at all the time for a completely unrelated hobby- bullet casting. Some of the safety Nazis over there get to name calling if you aren't wearing gloves, leather aprons, steel toes, a respirator, Nomex undies and deodorant. Another site is a tractor site and the Nazis there get going on how you should never, ever let your kids on a tractor or near anything remotely mechanical. I suppose the kids are better off sitting int front of the TV watching Oprah and getting all metrosexual. That's the kind of stuff that rubs me the wrong way. You wanna cut a 60 foot dead Elm full of widder makers wearing Speedos, flip flops and Mickey Mouse ears, have at it! Just don't come whining to me with your lawyer in tow if something bad happens. It's called personal responsibility and freedom.

Rant off.

I was just on the net reading about chainsaw accidents and one article that I found stated that 36 % of all chainsaw related accidents happen to the lower extremities. So I know I will be wearing a set of chaps.

I was just on the net reading about chainsaw accidents and one article that I found stated that 36 % of all chainsaw related accidents happen to the lower extremities. So I know I will be wearing a set of chaps.

36% makes it the most common. I NEVER get afflicted with common stuff. Never. It's always oddball freakish stuff that sends the doc to looking things up in dusty old books, or comments like, "That's impossible".

I gotta get me a Kevlar lined scarf and ear muffs.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I always wear the standard chaps, helmet, muffs, eye protecting, steel toes boots, and gloves. It just makes sense to me. I watch what a saw does to seasoned rock maple and can only imagine what it would do to my soft squishy leg. I have seen pictures on this site of what happens even when chaps are worn. They merely slow the chain down so it does not take your limb completely off. Crazy stuff!

Latest posts

Back