Chainsaw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we overthinking this?

Personally I think diaphragm carbs are less prone to varnishing due to a lack of air space. I also think premix acts as some sort of stabilizer. That said if I was gonna put a saw on the shelf for use at an undetermined future date I would idle it dry. If you decide to leave fuel in the saw fill the tank up! The less airspace the better.

I’ve always idled my saws dry st the end of summer and never had a problem. I’ve been doing this with the 361 since 2006. My dad bought a 361 in 2004 and has always left fuel in it. I’m not aware that he’s ever had a problem.

I used to have jet skis that would sit all winter with fuel in them and they never had a problem. (Also diaphragm carbs)

I also have a Honda GX650 generator that has a combo fuel/ignition/choke switch. Not sure how that works but it sat in my father in laws trailer for two+ years with fuel in it and started on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I never drain it and it still starts within a couple pulls no matter how long it sits. Kinda like a Honda lawn mower.

My Trail70 or my daughters TRX70 (4strokes) sit for a month with fuel and I have to clean the carbs. I’ve had 2stroke MX bikes that have sat all winter and fired right up. These are all float carbs but the 2stroke have much larger jets that would presumably take more to plug.
That Trail 70 may benefit if you richen the needle in the carb buy lowering the E clip to let more mixed air fuel in!

I use ethanol free 91 with klotz R-50. I keep my saws in a climate controlled basement all the time, never had any problem with leaving fuel in them. I just shake the saw to mix the fuel a bit. My weed eater and leaf blower sit in the freezing garage all winter with the same mix and fire right up every spring.

If that canned fuel(no ethanol) is good for yrs, so is my no ethanol mix.

Another Touché post by the Retard.

good-job-retard.jpg

YOU, are full retard..youd know.just like the rest of the lefturds in this forum...….

What kind of chemical engineering background do you have to make this assertion?

I have 9 chainsaws, 2 fourwheelers, 2 lawn mowers, a weed eater and a leaf blower that all have carbs and "no ethanol" is the secret. Go buy some canned fuel if you want to pay $20 a gallon for your chemically engineered BS.

I have 9 chainsaws, 2 fourwheelers, 2 lawn mowers, a weed eater and a leaf blower that all have carbs and "no ethanol" is the secret. Go buy some canned fuel if you want to pay $20 a gallon for your chemically engineered BS.
No disrespect intended and I sincerely thank you for your service to our great country, but canned fuel is alkylate fuel and is a different animal than ethonol free gasoline.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So, none. Got it. Thanks.

I don't use pre-mix fuel and I don't plan on using it. Asserting that they are 'the same' without some actual proof other than 'I own engines' is pure ignorance on display.

As far as the topic at hand - I use non-ethanol gas, Stihl synthetic mix oil, and I run my saws empty as per the owners manual if they're going to sit for longer than a month or so.

Any mixed fuel that's older than about 3 months gets dumped in the truck gas tank and I get new stuff for the saws and lawn equipment.

My 2 stroke snow blower on the other hand gets non-E gas, whatever mix oil is on sale and I leave the fuel in it all summer...it's about 20 years old at this point and at the beginning of this winter it started on the third pull. Completely different carb design though...

To use when u run the machine yes, but for storage 5 $ can of tru fuel lasts a year for all machines

Sent from Tapatalk

To use when u run the machine yes, but for storage 5 $ can of tru fuel lasts a year for all machines

Sent from Tapatalk
Exactly, that's why I only run it the one machine that I don't use very often and it doesn't use much fuel. It's very good fuel but is too expensive for tools used pretty often.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That Trail 70 may benefit if you richen the needle in the carb buy lowering the E clip to let more mixed air fuel in!

E clip is in the lowest position already. It would cut out if I opened the throttle too fast in the middle position. Dropping it to the bottom fixed it. I think I also raised the float level but that was 15 years ago. I’ve had this one a while! It’s one of the original K0’s, 4spd manual trans!

What kind of chemical engineering background do you have to make this assertion?
FWIW I dont have any engineering background just Im a Tree Service and a saw mechanic . Just put some of that **** gas in a bottle and look at the water at the bottom after it settles. It only takes a few months outside.

E clip is in the lowest position already. It would cut out if I opened the throttle too fast in the middle position. Dropping it to the bottom fixed it. I think I also raised the float level but that was 15 years ago. I’ve had this one a while! It’s one of the original K0’s, 4spd manual trans!
Higher octane gas should help also those tiny jets dont let enough flow.

Now im going to have to take all the saws out of the truck and dump the **** gas and put some good VP in there they been sitting a couple months.Lot of work between all the saws ,pruners, blowers etc etc! I will look for water and if I find any Ill take a pic.

Back