chainsaw tach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tiny tach

anybody run the tiny tach? That is what i have been using and it seems to work well........

call me presumptuous, but I'd hazard a guess that the vid was shot with a tripod.
Look at the camera movements near the end.

bout 25 bucks for a cheapo one, all the way up to the price equivalent of a large Stihl saw.
even the cheap ones will do wonders for the quality of your videos
*and* your family photos.
Even the little 6 inch tall ones will do the job, if you have a place to set them on top of something and you need to make sure it will handle the weight of your camera.
just gotta be careful of the little ones tipping over too easily
and crashing your camera on the ground/floor (not healthy for da camera).

Last edited:
I have the Tech Tach as well, superior product, got my from Amicks Superstore as they were closest and I was impatient. They used to be a vendor here, don't know if they still are.

Question about tachometers:
I don't really understand how to use a tach to set a saw: How can you measure the idling speed if the chain is not turning ?
I want to buy a tach and learn to set myself the saw.

i just ordered the STIHL one with the lead on it. sick of bringing mine to a shop and letting a tech run it, when i have no idea if he knows his ass from his elbows. not when it comes to pinning my $1100 2-stroke.

Question about tachometers:
I don't really understand how to use a tach to set a saw: How can you measure the idling speed if the chain is not turning ?
I want to buy a tach and learn to set myself the saw.

The engine should idle just short of engaging the clutch. If the chain is turning at idle it's too fast. Typically idle rpms vary but in the 2500-3000 range is what you'll see.

this is my tack cost about €30 seems to work pretty good came with a wire to attach to the plug wire. works just as good without it as long as it is near the plugwire
refresh rate also seems to be quick no more than a second

View attachment 267274

Back