Chainsaw timber framing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a book, or other good resources on the topic?

I want to do something with a bunch of 12-20" White Ash logs.

Thanks!

which would you recommend?

probably just wing it, since i'm just going to knotch them with me saw.

planning on 20 foot logs supported with 10 foot tall 16 to 20 inchers (White Ash) spaced every 7.5 foot on center

It will be an enclosure inside a big pole barn.

Planning on 20x30, with a mezz on top.

Then I could run everyone out with me old smoke dragon eh?

260.JPG

Is there a book, or other good resources on the topic?

I want to do something with a bunch of 12-20" White Ash logs.

I don't have a book, but I will be glad to provide advice. I have 50 acres in upstate NY (Catskills) and lots of Ash (and some Cherry) have blown down the past few years, far too many for firewood. I am also worried that with the Emerald Ash Bore that they may never grow back. So I made (all 6.5" X 6.5") 8-12" posts, 2-17' posts, 4-20' beams, 2-27' beams, and a 3" X 9.5" X 27' Ridge Beam and I'm building a new Post & Beam Hunting Cabin. It will be 20 X 24 with overhangs front & back of 1.5'. Did it all at very low cost with my chain saws. It was a lot of work, but what I learned could save you some time.

If you are interested let me know and I will provide you with any details you want and pictures to show the results (it is not finished, but the framing is all up).

MustangMike

I'd like to see that Mike.

The essential tools needed (in addition to a good Chainsaw) are 1) The Beam Machine (about $40 - $50), 2) Stihl Narrow Kerf Rip Chain and 3) I used a Granberg Hand Held 12V sharpener (about $40) with a 5/16 diamond stone.

Getting the logs: We did not have heavy duty equipment, so to transport the logs to our worksite my nephew (MechanicMatt) modified a boat trailer. The front of the log was chained to the boat trailer and the rest of it was dragged with an ATV. Otherwise, the log will dig into the dirt and you will go nowhere.

1) The Beam Machine - A simple device (available through Baileys, etc) attaches to your guide bar and runs along 2X4s. To get 6.5" X 6.5" adjust it out 3 turns from the recommended setting (or you will get 4" square). It is very important when you attach the 2 X 4s to the logs that they are both straight and level. We used deck screws and shims. It is also important as you pivot the saw, the pressure from you left hand is on the left top of your handle bar (otherwise the saw may toe in and your timber will not be square).

2) I used a 20" Stihl narrow kerf rip chain on my 044 and MS 441. The narrow kerf rip chain cuts much faster than a wider chain, but you will need to gas your saw often and sharpen your chain often. The angle on the rip chain is 10 degrees instead of 30 degrees. THESE CHAINS ARE NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH YOUR STIHL DEALER. Stihl makes them exclusively for Logosol and I believe Baileys is the exclusive Logosol importer (so you can get them, in various lengths, through Bialeys).

3) My property is 2 miles in on a 4 wheel drive road (no electricity) so the Granberg 12V hand held sharpener was indispensable. You can hook it up to the car battery and I also had a deep cycle battery that I used. DO NOT USE THE CRAPPY GRINDING STONE THAT COMES WITH IT, THEY ARE WORTHLESS. Buy the diamond stone sharpeners (I got 5/16 for my rip chains and 7/16 for my regular chains). Also found it was more convenient to have two sharpeners than to switch the stones. I also often kept a crosscut chain on one saw and a rip chain on the other.

We cut 1" notches in the beams to accommodate the posts, etc. For low cost connectors, we cut 4" angle iron 6" long and drilled 3 holes in each tab. 1 - 1/2" hole for a bolt and tow 3/8" holes for lag screws. We also used an industrial strength adhesive in the joints.

I will attache pictures in subsequent posts. Let me know if you have any questions.

We used the side pieces from the logs for struts and will also use them for rafter ties.

The sides have 12' posts plus the 6.5X6.5. The bottom of the Ridge Beam is 17'. The 20' cross pieces are 8' high and will support the loft. The loft will be 9' high in the middle and 4.5' on the sides.

Not bad for a low cost using what was there job, right? Let me know what you think. We are done for the season due to the snow, but plan to finish in the Spring. The big delay (for us) was waiting for the site work to be done. Had to wait till the Bluestone company had some heavy duty equipment up on the mountain.

Attachments

• Cabin W Elev-2 11-17-2013.JPG
    Cabin W Elev-2 11-17-2013.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 177

Last thing I forgot to mention, they will try to tell you that you need a new bar to use the narrow kerf chain. The bars were back ordered, so I learned I did not really need them. The narrow kerf rip chain works just fine with your regular bar.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I've been using computers since 1988, BBS's since '92, and the interwebs since `94. I clicked on them. They pull up a shadow box with a bunch of lines and no larger image.

It's either an IE11 bug, or a forum bug. I can't get any of your pics to work, and other threads have been wonky as well. I haven't tried another browser yet though.

Latest posts

Back