Chainsaw yes or no

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason D Berg

Reaction score
I am new here. I've got a new chainsaw mill on the way and I'm looking to get a good saw to start off with since my old homelite xl 12 isn't gonna get it done. I've found a guy locally that has a 056 magnum for sale. He's been through the saw and it runs, oils, idles, starts hot or cold. He's also thrown on a new "36 inch bar with chain. He's asking 420.00 for it. Good deal? Or should I hold out for a bigger saw? Never have run a 056 but have run a 076...heavy beast. I'll be milling oak and black walnut ranging from 16 to 30 inchs in diameter. Thank you in advance.

That seems like a good price. I'd go for it. If you need bigger later, you can always flip the 056. Stihls have good resale value. Running the smallest bar possible helps too.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, Yes go for it!

That is a lot of coin, and if the 056 isn't in great shape, I would pass. This forum has a "For sale" page where we sell to each other, you could post a "wanted milling saw" in there.

Send pictures when it completed!

This is the saw. Sorry super not magnum. But factory dual port. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171207-142916.png
    Screenshot_20171207-142916.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20171207-142847.png
    Screenshot_20171207-142847.png
    686 KB · Views: 28
Kind of old thread but new reply.

056 is a good saw but OEM parts are very hard to find, forget getting any parts from a Sthil dealer except for maybe a bar and chain. A rebuilt 056 saw these days would most likely have after market parts . The air filtration on a 056 isn't the greatest. The ones I have start to run real lean or will run doggie as soon as the air filter starts to get a little clogged and they are kind of a pain to clean if your away from the shop.

076 is a good milling saw as far as torque which is what you need for milling. 066 is a good choice if you want to have an up to date saw verses the older model Sthil saws. I myself wouldn't push an 066 for milling as they are more of a higher speed saw and run leaner verses the torque and slower no load rpm that the older Sthil saws have.

The air filtration on a 056 isn't the greatest. The ones I have start to run real lean or will run doggie as soon as the air filter starts to get a little clogged and they are kind of a pain to clean if your away from the shop..

As an air filter on a 2 stroke motor clogs the mix/air ratio increases so it doesn't run lean but rich, which protects the motor. I's not necessary to completely clean a saw filter like you would in s shop/ You will recover the majority of the filter air flow by simply knocking the filter up agains a piece of wood. On my 076 I used to knock it clean maybe after every 5/6 tanks of mix.

Interestingly the amount of filter cleaning per day dropped as soon as I started using progressive raker setting. This method of raker depth setting produces more chips and less fine dust and hence far less problems with filter cleaning.

Back