chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveffemt130

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been reading the opinions on this forum for quite some time and decided to join. I like some of the opinion and dislike others...as far as chain saws go I have been using Poland saws for 7 years now...started with the 4620avx and went to the 5020 and use the other for backup...the only problem I have had is the junk toolless adjuster on the 4620, I put an adjustable bar on it and ground the rackers all the way off and it outcuts my friends husky 460. I cut about 20 cord a year. I am not lucky enough to stumble on oak,I mostly cut mulberry,hedgeapple and whatever else I can get my hands on....if it's free it's for me!

The rakers are there for a reason. When your cutters grab the wood and rip the saw out of your hands you will wish they were still there and the proper height.

Welcome to AS. The depth gauges(rakers) kept filed to the proper height will still let you cut fast, but will give you more chain life and less wear and tear on your bar.

I would like to think that cutting as much wood as I cut for as long as I have been doing it I am a little more advanced than the typical homeowner that uses one to trim a rose bush

I would like to think that cutting as much wood as I cut for as long as I have been doing it I am a little more advanced than the typical homeowner that uses one to trim a rose bush

Anyone who thinks they can control a saw 100% of the time is either a fool or naive (or both). I have no sympathy for people who have no regard for safety.

images

I'm guessing that our new friend actually ground the bumper links (rather than the depth gauges) off of the safety chain on his Poulan chainsaw. I'd be very surprised if a 4620 would be able to pull the chain with the rakers ground completely off....

I never said I could control a saw 100% of the time I like to think I use common sense...I am not going to ram it in sprocket first, I listen to the saw, give it what it will take and That's it..I have no had any saw related injuries and I plan to keep it that way

To the OP welcome. But your playing with fire cutting drag teeth off. They serve a purpose yes you can flat file them some but you're going to hurt your saw and possibly yourself. Respect your equipment or put it away. Avoiding safety isn't something we find cool around here. Protect yourself you can file a chain to cut faster and you can buy different chains for that matter. Speed is a product of organization and efficiency. You want speed we have tips. Toss that chain. I'd rather live 60 years to run a slow saw than to live 1 year running an unsafe one. I ported my 350 and it cuts faster but I didn't bypass safety doing so. Cut safely please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that our new friend actually ground the bumper links (rather than the depth gauges) off of the safety chain on his Poulan chainsaw. I'd be very surprised if a 4620 would be able to pull the chain with the rakers ground completely off....
I agree - I suspect the OP is referring to the large shark fin safety bumpers, not the rakers/depth gauges.

To the OP - what chain did you start with. My Poulan 2775 is essentially the same saw, and it came with Oregon 33SL, which I also ground the bumpers off. It cut much better after that but a loop of 20BPX will cut faster still.

You can replace that adjuster with an old style screw adjust cover from a PP295.

Welcome. Attitude gets you far on this site, most folks on this site know more about saws, trees, chain, and anything else related to chainsaws and trees than I will ever care to know, as you, I have been cutting firewood since I was a wee boy and have been working on chainsaws for a couple of years now, even have a few chainsaws laying around this dump, anyway the main point is if you need help with anything there are great minds here with all the answers unless you end up on the ignore list because you feel the need to defend yourself. Take the criticism with a grain of salt and be polite it will get you far here, some folks here started with nothing and have built quite a business with what they have learned here.

Insert pic of pile of saws.
Photo0488.jpg

As we all know a Pic will make every post that much better.

I never said I could control a saw 100% of the time I like to think I use common sense...I am not going to ram it in sprocket first, I listen to the saw, give it what it will take and That's it..I have no had any saw related injuries and I plan to keep it that way

"Common sense" (whatever that is) is over-ridden in a millisecond by a chainsaw. The operative term here is "risk management" and you'll never get the risks down to zero. Heard of Murphy? ;)

1% of the time with a chainsaw can really mess you up.

Folks here can sniff out arrogance and carelessness (not accusing anyone here) and try to apply some mid-course correction. Some (very professional) sawyers will post pix and videos of BadStuff that's happened to them, to help others avoid that. So it's a mutual learning experience, with no end in sight. :msp_biggrin:

I know it's a newb question, but aren't those Poland saws the ones that the chain goes on backwards?
:msp_wink:

"Common sense" (whatever that is) is over-ridden in a millisecond by a chainsaw. The operative term here is "risk management" and you'll never get the risks down to zero. Heard of Murphy? ;)

1% of the time with a chainsaw can really mess you up.

Folks here can sniff out arrogance and carelessness (not accusing anyone here) and try to apply some mid-course correction. Some (very professional) sawyers will post pix and videos of BadStuff that's happened to them, to help others avoid that. So it's a mutual learning experience, with no end in sight. :msp_biggrin:

Now where did that pic of Brad's head go?:msp_biggrin:

Back