Chainsawmill Cutting speed's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the chain were to expand in length by ~5 mm overall on a 1066mm this equates to the chain lifting of the bar by - nah that's gonna get messy and involve a few hyperbolic trigonometrics...
Well math is certainly not my strong suite... but I know just from experience that it doesn't take much at all, just moving that bar a few Aussie mm's and that chain sags as if stretched big time. Point being the ratio of chain stretch or bar adjusting movement (same effect) is not linear. The actual math my prove me wrong on that... but... I know that just a little stretch turns in to a lot of chain sag. A chain flopping around a bar beats up both the bar and chain, and probably contributes to it eventually breaking sooner than it otherwise would.

So what was your conclusion Bob , I think this got a bit messy mate . :newbie: Cheer's MM .......I had another read Bob and the penny drop's . Ah ha I see , it must be getting late

Preliminary conclusion is you are probably right.

What I was trying to determine was if I could calculate the amount a correctly tightened chain would expand by and hang down from the bar by after it has heated up. The calculation is complicated because the bar gets hot and expands as well. The chain will always be hotter than the bar but the heating is not even - for example the cutting edge will be hotter than the top edge. I've also seen guys flogging saws so badly that parts of the edges of the bar turn blue so who knows what's happening to the chain.

Latest posts

Back