Chainsaws in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a new house. A house with a basement.

So tonight I moved all of my chainsaws and stuff into a finished room, but concrete floor in the basement. I have I think 10 chain saws in the room, most with fresh mix. I didn't move any of my gas or bar oil into the house, but after a few hours the room stunk of saw gas.

At my old house I always kept my saws in the back room and never noticed it, but the back room was very drafty and had an open walk way into it.

I didn't shut the door to the room and probably never would, but it sure had a saw gas aroma pretty quick.
It's not terribly strong, it doesn't give me a headache to be in there or anything, but is there a safety hazard here?

I'm sure if you asked your local fireman he would say no way to keep saws in the house, but what does everyone here think about storing your chainsaws with mix in them in your house.

It may be I just have one saw in the room that has a little leak or has had some gas recently spilt on it.

Any experience here with this? I've never noticed saws stinking in a shop before, but this is a smaller tighter area.

I don't want to blow up tonight, lol.

Well it's not the best to store with mix anyways, so it's probably best to drain them. I have no idea about fire code, they are pretty variable from town to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the country, only worried about the safety of my own home, I know some city codes won't let you build a house with the garage floor built up to have no steps into your house because the fumes are heavier than air...I think, and they might leak into your house, if you had a leak

I drain saws for long time storage, I just brought everything in to get them cleaned up, and to sort out some extra chains. I wouldn't keep them in there for very long, I am wondering if I should take them back out before I head to bed

I have a outside wood burner, and the water heater is electric, but I know when things kick on they can make a pretty good spark.
The more I talk about it, they more stupid this sounds,.. I'll clean some more and take the ones with mix in them out.

I have a outside wood burner, and the water heater is electric, but I know when things kick on they can make a pretty good spark.
The more I talk about it, they more stupid this sounds,.. I'll clean some more and take the ones with mix in them out.

fin you better not blow up my new saw lol. ya personally i would never bring a power tool ran by gas in the house unless it had to be in there

Hmmmmm...interesting thought for me. I live in a "studio", basically 1 room for bed and "living room" plus a bathroom. Total is under 275 sq. ft. I have been living with my saws in my room for 2 years now. Both have a case and I have stored them full of gas and empty. Never smelled gas once. No leaks on the floor. Never really been concerned. Unfortunately I do not have a garage or shop to store them in. It is either inside with me or outside in rain/snow/heat/moisture/etc...

Need to think more about this one, thanks for the food for thought.

-n

Were the saws cold when you brought them in and then warmed up in the house?
The reason I ask is because I used to put a saws on the floor board of my pick up when I would head out to cut on a COLD day just to warm them up a little.
But in no time at all the heat would cause the fuel tanks to vent and instantly stink the truck up. (I dont do that anymore)

This might be whats going on here....cold fuel tanks warming up and venting.

I took them back to the garage, it has a walk in door which is always open for the dog, I have no concerns with them there. Keep in mind none of them were leaking, just so many saws in one room it made me think... but yes I have had saws with flippy caps warm up and leak off some pressure... most of these saws came out of a heated shop, I was just trying to make a saw room to keep all the extra stuff in and organized... saws will stay outside.

I actually currently live in a house with no garage. Our old house had a huge garage which was nice. I currently have a room in our house which is mine only. Total of 16 saws in there right now along with my generators, pressure washer, tank of argon with welder, gun cabinet with many boxes of rounds. Most of them have mix in them. None of them leak and there is no fuel smell whatsoever and trust me, if there was a smell, i would be hearing about it from the wife. I'm sure some would call my current "shop" a bomb but i even use a torch in there sometimes with no problems You gotta do what you gotta do and be smart about it as to avoid having problems. If it did smell like fuel i wouldn't do anything which could light a fire, vent room well, and investigate where the smell is coming from to correct it. No way in hell are my saws gonna sit outside at risk of walking away and no way in hell will i sell them just because i have no place to put them. I've been talking about selling this place with the wife though. I need me a garage. Was also thinking of just buying a nice large cargo trailer and turning it into a nice mobil shop with all the power hook ups i need. I'm working on it. Had a shop planned last summer but with moving up in the air i don't wanna build one only to move.

I also have a work box in the back of my truck which can hold half of my saws all on it's own but i figure if i'm gonna have half of them in the house i may as well have all of them in the house. I have my shop room organized really well. I could pull everything out and put it in a full size garage and you would **** yourself thinking it all came out of that room. Heck our old house garage was nice. Wood stove in the shop, lots of room. We rented then and the wife wanted to own so we downgraded just to own where we live. I want a nice shop soon. It will happen.

It's funny you ask about this because i just took a saw into the basement tonight. My garage got broken into just before thanksgiving and i figured the low life scum might try to come back hopeing i replaced the ones they took. I was gonna go downstairs and give it a sniff test here in a bit.

Back