Chainsaws vs Wild Things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff you guys. I have returned the next day to cutting areas many times and have noticed fresh deer, elk and moose tracks inspecting my work area. They love the fresh buds on the trees, moss and lichen. As far as my recent encounter, I by no means was looking to take on a moose with a chainsaw. I always carry a firearm when in the woods, just not on me when I am up cutting. As I said, being charged by a moose is not pleasurable, an experience I care not to repeat. This one did not look like he wanted to be messed with and I was glad to have my saw, better than the sticks I was surrounded by. I have had many run-ins with bears, mostly black bears but have had a grizz give me a scare once. The moose, by far, worries me more than those bears, even the grizzly. I once read somewhere that moose were responsible for more human deaths and injuries than bears or wolves in Alaska, and to think most people are worried about the bears and see moose as the friendly bullwinkle.

By the end of this season I had been stung by bees so many times I think I had withdrawals from the adrenaline rush you get when hit by one or 3 or 10. Bald-faced hornets hurt the worst but the yellow jackets seem to be more perisistent, they seem to follow me for miles. My first hornet stings, I was just making a face cut when I got hit in the arm twice. The nests almost always hang in trees and are easy to spot, not this one. I let them cool off for a minute, looked for the nest, couldn't find it so I went back at the tree. Finished the face cut, stood up and hit my head on the nest, just about killed myself running out of there. 5 minutes later I went down with a big garbage sack and quickly bagged the nest, somehow managing to not get stung again. I had to finish the tree, can't just leave one standing all cut up like that.

Latest posts

Back