chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadude1188

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a saw. I was looking at stihls and I'm not sure which one would be the best. I'd like a saw that would be good for both climbing and ground work.

A good climbing saw would be a tophandle and a good ground saw would be a rearhandle. We need more specific information such as, budget, experience, diameter and type of wood to be cut, how much tree use vs. ground use, climbing style (how you tote your saw in the tree) etc... With that I could give an opinion more specifc to your needs. You will probably get a lot of opinions on this one.

If you can afford 2 saws I vote for the Stihl 200t and the Husky 372.

RIght now, I'm using a husqvarna 272xp (borrowed from my father). I'm looking at a 346xp (I fell in love with those a couple of years ago) and a 200t. My partner is looking at a Stihl 441, that will replace the 272xp. I'd consider offering my father some money for the 272 (runs great, cuts good), but I don't care for the chain brake design or where the tensioner for the chain is.

If I were to choose one (personally) that I could both climb with and use as a good ground saw, the 346xp would be it. Not the biggest/most powerful saw, but it's light and reliable.

Just two saws, then yeah, what Nailsbeats said. If you're a Stihl fan, the 441 is a good 70 cc saw. I'm a husqy fan, so I'll give a second vote for the 372xp. :) And a ms200t for the climber.

If you can afford 2 saws I vote for the Stihl 200t and the Husky 372.

same combo i got in my toolbox nails.

the other saws are on the shelf now. lol

actually i have a 371xp. what a hoss that thing is. barely used when i scooped it up from hornett22.

yup that is a deadly combo.

oldirty

what do you mean, it's still running?

same combo i got in my toolbox nails.

the other saws are on the shelf now. lol

actually i have a 371xp. what a hoss that thing is. barely used when i scooped it up from hornett22.

yup that is a deadly combo.

oldirty

guess i didn't sabotage it good enough.:mad: :hmm3grin2orange:

i agree with Nails and oldirty.

i might slip the 346xp NE in there though.i love that friggin' saw!

i fell i have the perfect selection of saws now.

ms200
346xp NE
372 w/ 20"
372 w/24"
395 w/28" and 36"

i'm happy and the trees aren't

i'm happy and the trees aren't

i wouldve went with aint but thats me. lol

hornett that is a good squad to bring to the game thats for sure. a formidable line up indeed.

the way i see it, the 2hunge will do the same work as that solid 246 will. by the time i need a bigger saw i would rather have that 371 barkn at the wood.

again, on the ground i feel the same about the ol 7 1 being used. i have the 359 but coworker misuse has put it on the IR. even if i had the choice i would run the 71.

ummmm have you noticed the hard on i have for that saw? lol

anyway. good lineup hornett.

on a side note hornett. how many of these hard ons do you think have me on the ignore list?

oldirty

i thought of using ain't but i knew i'd get the canadians upset if i did.

i like a variety but i'm more than happy with that setup.i keep 'em fueled and sharp!

you should have a hard on with that saw.you don't know how bad i didn't want to sell that damn thing.that friggin' saw rips like a Ted Kennedy scotch fart!

take care of her,she should make you a lot of coin.

i like a variety but i'm more than happy with that setup.i keep 'em fueled and sharp!

you should have a hard on with that saw.you don't know how bad i didn't want to sell that damn thing.that friggin' saw rips like a Ted Kennedy scotch fart!

take care of her,she should make you a lot of coin.

I will hopefully be picking up a 394xp soon. It is my dad's and I can get it with a new chain and 32" bar for $300. It has low hours and really rips. I just laughed so hard my eyes hurt:)

Latest posts

Back