chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey everyone, new to the site, pretty interesting. I had a neighbor give me a chainsaw that Im having a hard time keeping it running. Any suggestions, it will start with a little gas primering it and run at full throttle but dies as soon as I let off plus blows white smoke. It is a skilsaw 1614 any help would be appreciated.

hey everyone, new to the site, pretty interesting. I had a neighbor give me a chainsaw that Im having a hard time keeping it running. Any suggestions, it will start with a little gas primering it and run at full throttle but dies as soon as I let off plus blows white smoke. It is a skilsaw 1614 any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like it just needs a good old service. Clean and gap check or replace the plug and check the fuel mix is not too rich.

Sounds like it just needs a good old service. Clean and gap check or replace the plug and check the fuel mix is not too rich.

I second that. Just give it a good cleaning and replace the air filter, spark plug, check the fuel filter, and retune the carb if needed. let us know what happens.

Dolmar

Not much discussion about Dolmars here. I went out to buy a Stihl and came home with a Dolmar. Was a little more expensive than a similar Stihl, but I bot it because it was a 9 lb. saw with 39cc's and compression release. Now my shoulder doesnt hurt after a little cutting. It cuts 12" oak and hedge like butter. i love it!

Not much discussion about Dolmars here. I went out to buy a Stihl and came home with a Dolmar. Was a little more expensive than a similar Stihl, but I bot it because it was a 9 lb. saw with 39cc's and compression release. Now my shoulder doesnt hurt after a little cutting. It cuts 12" oak and hedge like butter. i love it!

I also think the dolmar is way more saw for the money than a stihl! As far as that goes Ive never had a stihl I thought was worth what I paid for it, Dolmar rules!
:greenchainsaw:

I've always liked the old homelite saws, super xl vintage. Parts are getting harder to find and I wouldn't want one for a climbing saw. I see you got yours already, I'd look for an 020 for climbing/trimming. I think they run better than stihls but they don't pull the chain as fast (also they have a wider kerf). I like echo equipment though, I've used their blowers, trimmers and tillers and they're ok. We had one beat up old echo blower at this one place I worked, the thing leaked out the head gasket and the plastic was all beat up but it still ran.

Is my Husqvarna 45 and 137 worth much of anything anymore? I am wondering this since I recently bought another 45 that someone completely disassembled and never put back together that feels like the bearings are solid and it has good compression 140. Its currently missing the chainbrake/sidecover and muffler which I quickly put on my 45 since these parts had serious problems and this box containing all the parts for a 45 for less than half what I would have paid at the dealer for those couple parts and didn't want to bother spending much on it since its just a old saw I bought cheaply labeled as not running and for repair or parts only as was the 137 which only needed the fine screen inside the carb replaced and all new fuel lines/filters. I know my practically new homelite is a cheap saw since I paid 60-70 for it new with the case when I didn't feel like driving a few hours in a gas guzzler getting 7mpg so I could run by my home to grab a saw. I figured that the time and gas was to great to not just buy it. I did only have to use it for ten minutes that day and did notice that after it was mostly broken in it was running a bit lean. I have had no real experience using echo saws but there blowers are not bad overall compared to stihl if you don't mind alot of extra noise a little more weight and if they need to be rebuilt spending half the amount a new one would cost. Actually echo blowers are fine if using outdated equipment suites you well. I believe stihl probably makes the all around best chainsaws and has been doing that for longer than I have been alive. Echo tho still is better than the stuff that is coming out of china. The only thing I am unsure about with Stihl is how they typically use zama carbs on most everything designed for homeowners and there MS250 from what I have been told only has one ring instead of the two that they use to claim everything by Stihl had. My McCulloch PM310 even has 2 rings on it and I got it for 5 bucks. The only thing I got cheaper was a Echo GT-2400 weedeater for 3.50 in perfect condition which ended up going in a trade for a Stihl FS90R that the owner didn't want to replace the broken throttle cable on or bother waiting for it since he always talks bad about Stihl saying they are too heavy for him to use. He loves the echo tho. I didn't make the offer either so don't think I went out of my way to practically steel it from him. We also squashed a 40 dollar debt he owed and helped sell his homelite electric saw getting him out of that unfortunate purchase since he couldn't use it safely.

Is my Husqvarna 45 and 137 worth much of anything anymore? I am wondering this since I recently bought another 45 that someone completely disassembled and never put back together that feels like the bearings are solid and it has good compression 140. Its currently missing the chainbrake/sidecover and muffler which I quickly put on my 45 since these parts had serious problems and this box containing all the parts for a 45 for less than half what I would have paid at the dealer for those couple parts and didn't want to bother spending much on it since its just a old saw I bought cheaply labeled as not running and for repair or parts only as was the 137 which only needed the fine screen inside the carb replaced and all new fuel lines/filters. I know my practically new homelite is a cheap saw since I paid 60-70 for it new with the case when I didn't feel like driving a few hours in a gas guzzler getting 7mpg so I could run by my home to grab a saw. I figured that the time and gas was to great to not just buy it. I did only have to use it for ten minutes that day and did notice that after it was mostly broken in it was running a bit lean. I have had no real experience using echo saws but there blowers are not bad overall compared to stihl if you don't mind alot of extra noise a little more weight and if they need to be rebuilt spending half the amount a new one would cost. Actually echo blowers are fine if using outdated equipment suites you well. I believe stihl probably makes the all around best chainsaws and has been doing that for longer than I have been alive. Echo tho still is better than the stuff that is coming out of china. The only thing I am unsure about with Stihl is how they typically use zama carbs on most everything designed for homeowners and there MS250 from what I have been told only has one ring instead of the two that they use to claim everything by Stihl had. My McCulloch PM310 even has 2 rings on it and I got it for 5 bucks. The only thing I got cheaper was a Echo GT-2400 weedeater for 3.50 in perfect condition which ended up going in a trade for a Stihl FS90R that the owner didn't want to replace the broken throttle cable on or bother waiting for it since he always talks bad about Stihl saying they are too heavy for him to use. He loves the echo tho. I didn't make the offer either so don't think I went out of my way to practically steel it from him. We also squashed a 40 dollar debt he owed and helped sell his homelite electric saw getting him out of that unfortunate purchase since he couldn't use it safely.

If you are a pro,,use a pro saw,,,
Jeff :cool:

Back