Change in Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a loop of Carlton .325 full chisel from my local dealer on Wednesday.. I immediately noticed that there were reference marks on the teeth for the filing angle. None of the Carlton chains I've bought before had these, I thought only Stihl used those.

I put it through some wood yesterday and it cut pretty good. Threw nice chips. I even got into some dirt once or twice and it didn't affect the cutters any, which was surprising. It doesn't take much to completely dull the 3/8 Carlton chisel on my 066.

I touched it up today and it files like carbide... All of my other Carlton chains file smoothly.

These lead me to believe that Carlton must have done something to change their product. Does anybody know anything about this?

I picked up a loop of Carlton .325 full chisel from my local dealer on Wednesday.. I immediately noticed that there were reference marks on the teeth for the filing angle. None of the Carlton chains I've bought before had these, I thought only Stihl used those. .....

Oregon have used it for decades - but I don't know who was first with it.

Regarding chain features, Stihl have often copied Oregon features - I don't know a single feature that was copied the other way around.....

I have seen signs that they have changed to the Oregon style oil holes ("Lubri Link"?) design lately - but I need more evidense before I can say for sure.....
They have the hole, the channel, and the dimples, all at once...

Some close up pictures of the chain in question soon enough would tell what it is!

Also, combinations of Oregon and Carlton chain parts has happened before.....

I have seen signs that they have changed to the Oregon style oil holes ("Lubri Link"?) design lately - but I need more evidense before I can say for sure.....
I think lubri link is a dimple in the tie strap.

LubriLink™ tie straps help keep oil where it's needed - on the chain and LubriWell™ oil holes help carry oil around the full length of the guide bar's groove

I think the depression in the bar where the oil is added is lubridam though I probably have mistakenly called that lubriwell.

Stihl has some good reading in their manuals, all of their trade marked terms.

I think lubri link is a dimple in the tie strap.

LubriLink™ tie straps help keep oil where it's needed - on the chain and LubriWell™ oil holes help carry oil around the full length of the guide bar's groove

I think the depression in the bar where the oil is added is lubridam though I probably have mistakenly called that lubriwell.

Stihl has some good reading in their manuals, all of their trade marked terms.

Could well be - but Stihl still is the main copycat - saw features from Husky, and chain features from Oregon.

i would rather have stihl chains they dont dull as quick as others carlton is good also and it seems more popular than oregon does here.

Hey, not like everyone did not copycat the CHAINSAW from Stihl in the first place!

Well, before Andreas Stihl and mr. Lerp created Stihl and Dolmar, they both worked for the same company - that made chainsaws, and that company was far from the first one.

The "first" thing is all about how you define what a chainsaw is! ;)

Latest posts

Back