changed my mind about stihl chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You work there. Did you just answer your own question

Yup, I do work there. Just got through this afternoon helping a bunch of people from my store build a recreational area for a local junior high along with a bunch of stuff depot donated. Not a bad place to work

However, buying chainsaw chain there would be like buying a hamburger at an Italian restaurant. :)

local dealer who is a great guy and has a great crew changed my mind about Stihl chain. need a a 375 63 chain for a 32" bar for my old 044 well no full skip in site:( they have semi skip square ground chain buy to boat load. thought about just ordering my regular Oregon chain. but being a cheap skate i just listen to what they said about the benifits of buying Stihl saw chain. i bit the bait and bought a loop. had a tree limbing job 4 inch wood mostly. that stuff just flat :jawdrop: :chainsawguy: :kilt:
:givebeer:

In addition to the quality of the chain, you are also experiencing the joy of square ground chain. That stuff is awesome!! I just hope you have someone who has a grinder for it. Or you can hand file it, but thats tedious and takes some learning (though it's a well worthwhile endeavor!) If you can't file it or have it ground square, one hit on a standard grinder and you've stihl got yourself a darned fine round chain.

Yup, I do work there. Just got through this afternoon helping a bunch of people from my store build a recreational area for a local junior high along with a bunch of stuff depot donated. Not a bad place to work

However, buying chainsaw chain there would be like buying a hamburger at an Italian restaurant. :)

Just picking on you. I know that they treat most of their employee's well. And they do a good job at serving their community. I also like the fact that they work with college students on part time work around their school scheldule. That being said, I go out of my way to avoid purchasing anything I can get elsewhere. Just don't like the way they do business. Fair enough.

I do remember Husky having their own bar well atleast not Oregon, GB, or Windsor they were on the mid size saws and were JUNK... EMAB rings a bell

Scott
Stihl's sold in Canada come with a rebaged Oregon bar even the mighty 361 does, the only ones that don't are long bars 36'' and up and the 880 comes with a Real Sthil bar.Easy way to tell is the made in Canada or the Grease hole near the tip.

Just picking on you. I know that they treat most of their employee's well. And they do a good job at serving their community. I also like the fact that they work with college students on part time work around their school scheldule. That being said, I go out of my way to avoid purchasing anything I can get elsewhere. Just don't like the way they do business. Fair enough.

Yeah, they've definitely got their good and bad points. :cheers:

Very smart man!!!!
Keep their heads ringing Mow! 'Night ya'll.

Or buying "beef" raised in China........definitely get your RDA of melamine....

My sister manages one, and she works hard to keep her people taken care of. She started as a cashier a while back, and worked her way up. She does however put in far more hours than anyone ought to be expected to, IMHO.

Little late on this

Butttttt... I hadn't ever had a chain near as good as the Stihl's. Still haven't. The LGX is the only thing I've found that is AS GOOD. Not better, but holds up as well. I cut on alot of dirty wood from the skidway. Near alot of stones etc... The only time I've ever seen the Stihl chain hold up better than the LGX was cutting a bunch of dirty, frozen, red Oak last winter. The LGX would dull a little quicker. When I say quicker, I mean sharpen after 2 hours of cutting vs. 1.5 or so... At -10, the break is normally welcomed to get feeling back in your fingers, lmao...

:jester: :cheers: eh?

Butttttt... I hadn't ever had a chain near as good as the Stihl's. Still haven't. The LGX is the only thing I've found that is AS GOOD. Not better, but holds up as well. I cut on alot of dirty wood from the skidway. Near alot of stones etc... The only time I've ever seen the Stihl chain hold up better than the LGX was cutting a bunch of dirty, frozen, red Oak last winter. The LGX would dull a little quicker. When I say quicker, I mean sharpen after 2 hours of cutting vs. 1.5 or so... At -10, the break is normally welcomed to get feeling back in your fingers, lmao...

:jester: :cheers: eh?
I am very happy with LGX too. First time I tried was because it came with my dolmar. Find it holds a edge better than Carlton.Actually all the new Oregon chain is better in my opinion than the older stuff from Oregon.
Stihl chain costs way too much up here more than double close to three times as much compared to what I can get chain from Bailey's. Even a 20'' loop of Oregon Vanguard chain cost $25.00:dizzy:

Cutting Edge

I buy loops of LGX from Scott and Steve for like $16/loop. If I buy like 5 loops, with shipping and all I save a ton. I prolly go through like 20 loops a season I'd guess. I bought a loop for my 036 the other day from Stihl because I needed it right away, $22. That's quite a difference eh? Scotty and Steve got some gooooooood deals goin'. Specially for the poor man like me, hehehehehehehe...

:popcorn:

At least that's what it was last year. Not sure about this year with inflation, gas and all, everything has gone up ya know...

I buy loops of LGX from Scott and Steve for like $16/loop. If I buy like 5 loops, with shipping and all I save a ton. I prolly go through like 20 loops a season I'd guess. I bought a loop for my 036 the other day from Stihl because I needed it right away, $22. That's quite a difference eh? Scotty and Steve got some gooooooood deals goin'. Specially for the poor man like me, hehehehehehehe...

:popcorn:

At least that's what it was last year. Not sure about this year with inflation, gas and all, everything has gone up ya know...
That's were my 7900 came from. It came with a loop of LGX But the shipping from them to me is expensive. I am just a firewood cutter and like to play with my toy's 20 loops would last me forever! I guess that is why I don't mind spending a half hour hand filing my square ground chain lol.

90% of my chain is Stihl. I think it is durable, sharpens well with a sharp file, and holds an edge well. I bought a loop of Oregon 59CJ from Baileys (.404 Square Skip) for my SP125 because the price of Stihl .404 is quite high. The Oregon is a good chain, but it is not on par with the Stihl chain. I had to put a file to it first thing, as the edges out of the box left a lot to be desired. The edge durability seems good though, and there was very little stretch during the the break-in. You get what you pay for, and your mileage may vary.

I have found after using some oregon, carlton, and woodsman pro that none of them hold up like Stihl. The Stihl doens't stretch near as much and holds the edge longer.

placebo effect!

let talk about something less subjective like, broken teeth or cutting speed.

LMAO!!

:censored:

Maybe husky should try making their own bar?

They do to an extent, right here in Norway, but it probably is cheaper to just rebadge Oregon ones for the NA market.

I have spotted NO made bars on several US 346xps though.......

They are lighter than the Oregon counterparts, but holds up just as good imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back