Changing Drive Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwalper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How often do you change a drive sproket? I think I saw somewhere (maybe on the Oregon site?) that they recommend changes more often than I had expected? That part probebly takes a pretty good beating, even with a saw / chain that is set up and running properly.

I believe stihl recommends changing the sprocket every two chains.

+1 However, while certain equipment manufacturers recommend these frequent changes, many of the real experienced guys on the chainsaw site claim that every other chain is far too frequent a change interval.

The good news is that the part is cheap (about $4.00) and if you have a saw with an inboard clutch, it can be changed in 30 seconds in the dark with gloves on.

Hugenpo

Are you referring to a rim system? New rims are about $4 but sprockets are around $20.

I'll be changing my 310 over to rims once I wear out the sprocket. Bailey's sells them for a reasonable price.

Hugenpo

Are you referring to a rim system? New rims are about $4 but sprockets are around $20.

I'll be changing my 310 over to rims once I wear out the sprocket. Bailey's sells them for a reasonable price.

Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I'm referring to the $4.00 rim sprocket that attaches to the splined drum. The rim sprocket is the part that the chain rides on and it gets most of the wear. Baileys sells the sprockets separate and also sells the drum and sprocket as a unit.

I'm using a Stihl 55 with, what appears to be a rim system -- the sprocket floats on the splined crankshaft. Unfortunately, it's an inboard system and looks like it's going to require a wrench.

I'm using a Stihl 55 with, what appears to be a rim system -- the sprocket floats on the splined crankshaft. Unfortunately, it's an inboard system and looks like it's going to require a wrench.

I don't know anything about a Stihl 55, but if it has an inboard clutch, it may very well use a standard 7 or 8 pin sprocket available from Baileys. Take off the clutch cover and look to see if there is an E clip holding the sprocket washer, sprocket and drum on the crankshaft. If the Stihl 55 has the E clip, you should be able to remove the clip with a screw driver or needle nose pliers, remove the washer and pull the sprocket right off. If there is no E clip, just go over to the ArboristSite chainsaw forum and ask for help for changing out the Stihl 55. There are many, many guys over there who know 100 times more about saws than I will ever learn and they are great about walking someone through a repair.

Back