Changing pitch from .325 to 3/8 on my 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that is not 100% true - Husky makes a lot of bars themselves, but also rebadges bars made elsewhere (mostly Oregon, but some GB). Even Stihl has been known to rebadge Oregon bars, specially for the Canadian market (sold in the US as well, when the German bars were in short supply), but I am not sure they still do.....
I'm sure you are correct on that...but maybe waay back..??

Someone posted on AS that the middle 3 numbers told where the bar was manufactured.

Wish I had saved that posting..!!

In today's timeframe...I think almost all bars sold in the U.S. are made at Va. facility.

I would have NO idea of what Stihl supplies to the European market.
:cheers:
J2F

I picked up a MS260 PRO a while back with a 16" 3/8 semi chisel setup. I didnt care for it much at all. I do understand why you are considering the switch though... My MS260 is the only saw I have running .325, and I am leaving it that way. The 16" 3/8 setup is on hold for the 064 haha...

Someone posted on AS that the middle 3 numbers told where the bar was manufactured.

Wish I had saved that posting..!!

In today's timeframe...I think almost all bars sold in the U.S. are made at Va. facility.

I still regularily order husky bars that are stamped made in norway, canada, and usa. The 3 digit number stamped on some husky bars ie 417, 437 etcc is the manufacturer code.

The Stihl facility in VA is an assembly plant, the do not make a single part there, they just put a bunch of part together there and the end product is a saw or what have you.

How many parts can you put on a bar, before it is a consumer good?

Damn near everything today is outsourced, primary components may be in house but everything else is made by somebody else. What I mean is you cant go to a building somewhere in the globe that says Stihl Bar Works and find them making Stihl chainsaw bars in it, more apt to find an amzing German bar with 3 local lagers and one pilsner on tap and fraulienes you would die for.

If Stihl has such a manufacturing capability........................they would be owning the world by now.

Stihl bars made in Canada stamped on them is common................care to guess who they are made by?

Back to the question, "What bar to use?"

An Oregon Prolite would work fine for that application, an they are available everywhere, I have them in my shop and I sell Echo and Jonsered. But I stock the popular Stihl sizes because every 4th or 5th guy who needs a bar at the counter is needing one to fit a Stihl.

I picked up a MS260 PRO a while back with a 16" 3/8 semi chisel setup. I didnt care for it much at all. I do understand why you are considering the switch though... My MS260 is the only saw I have running .325, and I am leaving it that way. The 16" 3/8 setup is on hold for the 064 haha...

I guess looking at it through my eyes, my Echo cs-310 is a dream come true compared to my bow saw. The 026 which, I spent some time on today, just rips compared to my 310. I love them both but I'm not so sure about the bow saw anymore.

Clearing trails with a chainsaw is like a dream come true to me. The other guys complain and beotch but I just keep praying for more micro bursts.

I run a 16" bar with 3/8 full comp on my 260. Not the greatest setup in the world, that's for sure. I do it because everything else I use is 3/8. I have found that the chain needs to be detuned (tall rakers) or the saw is terrible to run.

I still regularly order husky bars that are stamped made in norway, canada, and usa. The 3 digit number stamped on some husky bars ie 417, 437 etcc is the manufacturer code.

The Stihl facility in VA is an assembly plant, the do not make a single part there, they just put a bunch of part together there and the end product is a saw or what have you.

How many parts can you put on a bar, before it is a consumer good?

Damn near everything today is outsourced, primary components may be in house but everything else is made by somebody else. What I mean is you cant go to a building somewhere in the globe that says Stihl Bar Works and find them making Stihl chainsaw bars in it, more apt to find an amazing German bar with 3 local lagers and one pilsner on tap and fraulienes you would die for.

If Stihl has such a manufacturing capability........................they would be owning the world by now.
I took the liberty of correcting your spelling..just couldn't on the last..LOL..!!

STIHL Incorporated USA -- Information -- Manufacturing the World's Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws

Wait until 2:16...enjoy your crow meal tonight..!!
J2F

Me and my dad have 2 026s. We switched both from .325 to 3/8. We didnt notice any power loss. The main reason for the switch was because we buy our chain in 100' roles and we dont buy .325. I had one before the other and it was muffler modded and had 3/8 chain and it had more power than the stock one with .325.

I took the liberty of correcting your spelling..just couldn't on the last..LOL..!!

STIHL Incorporated USA -- Information -- Manufacturing the World's Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws

Wait until 2:16...enjoy your crow meal tonight..!!
J2F

2:51 was a good snack too!

Thank you for sharing that, and I have no problem eating my deserved crow meal!

Interesting,5 plants,Brazil,China,Switzerland, Germany, and the US.............and i do like vertical integration, for a successful business either has to go towards lean mfg or vertical integration to come out on top.

2:51 was a good snack too!

Thank you for sharing that, and I have no problem eating my deserved crow meal!
Fellow Bro AS member...Just glad all is "cool" with me & you...!!!!!!

Ya just didn't know about the Va. facility's production operation.

I meant nothing more..!!!...(I've eaten crow a few times myself on this site..!!)
J2F

I meant nothing more..!!!...(I've eaten crow a few times myself on this site..!!)
J2F

As have many!

J2F

Its all good, even enjoying real beer with my crow!

My Stihl days were pre VA, and I haven't kept up on the Stihl scene after having my first Husqvarna saw in my hands in about 97............then i just got rid of my Stihls..............but over the years have let a few into my cave occasionally.

What you are thinking about doing is the calling card of the Stihl 026. I say go for it. I would run .375 chain on my 026, but it should be in .050 gauge. And all my bigger saws run .063. I buy it by the roll and don't keep .050 on hand. Sometimes guys have power loss which partially results from running too heavy gauge chain in 3/8 pitch on their 026/260/261 Stihls. The devil is in the details, but that saw is equipped to handle .050 gauge .375 pitch on a 16" guide bar with the right sprocket. Turn up the oiler, too.

Just went and bought 4 Stihl chains today (two different sizes for 250 and 261) and and extra bar for 261 and the chain roles both said on them made in US and so did the new Stihl bar

Just went and bought 4 Stihl chains today (two different sizes for 250 and 261) and and extra bar for 261 and the chain roles both said on them made in US and so did the new Stihl bar
The bar was almost certainly made in the U.S...(Va.)

To my knowledge...the chains are make in Switzerland...as are the Stihl files.
J2F

I have no idea of WHY you would want to change..??

You're only gonna slow your saw down...But it will work OK...
(I tried 3/8 in my 026 and went back to .325)...fwiw...
J2F

Good advice 2f, if you really want to make that 026 cut fast and stay sharp set it up with a 3/8 lp 6 tooth , I think they only come in a semi chiesel chain which stay sharp a long time for me. Regular 3/8 would be a big step backwards on a 026 unless your cutting 2" limbs. Steve

Latest posts

Back