Chaps appreciation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was helping out a customer and cutting up his lighting struck locust after work tonight. The stump was pretty gnarly and broken slivers from the lightning struck part were breaking off, so I put on my chaps. 30 seconds later a 1 inch by foot long sliver broke off and shot right into my lower calf, if it weren't for the chaps I would definitely be getting a dozen stitches. There is a 3" by 1/2" tall swollen spot and it's starting to bruise pretty good, but chaps are worth every penny!

Last edited:
Glad that you are OK.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Helps remind us to put them on, even when the little voice in our head says "it's just going to be for a few minutes . . . "

Philbert

Thanks for reminding us all to keep up on protection!

Happy you got away unhurt.

Happy sawing

7sleeper

Can't agree more, I always wear mine.

As an aside, no names, no pack drill... but I knew one fellow who made a great point of wearing them, but he wore them backwards because the zips were easier to reach. He didn't realise there was no protection on the back side.

A little knowledge, etc...

Had a guy call me last week to buy chaps, he'd just returned from the emergency room after a sawing accident. Fortunately, he was not seriously injured but it sure scared him.

Chaps = good

I think there’s something about gearing up that makes the experience complete. Don’t get me wrong, we’re just talking work clothes here, but I don’t feel right if I haven’t strapped on the chaps, clicked the waist buckle, propped my foot up on a stump to get the legs, and check my boot laces one more time (ever step on a loose one with saw in hand up on the pile? Scary). Same with finishing up – I like putting everything away in the cart just right, and the last two things are shaking off the chaps and rolling them up to nestle right next to the saw, then hanging the helmet on the cart handle.

Boy, I'm glad that you are OK!!!:clap: :clap: . I purchased a pair of Chaps today from my Local Co-op, that has a Stihl Dealership, for $58.98 CND on Sale. They are rated for 2600 ft per second. After the Scare I had on Sunday, I figured that it was time to get them.
I injured my Back 7 Years ago, and my Balance is not like it used to be, and accasionaly, my Left Knee gives out on me. I was limbing a Tree Top, that I skidded out of the Bush with my Tractor, and while in the middle of cutting a limb, my left knee gave out.
While trying to catch my balance, the Bar came within 1 1/2" away from my leg, with the Chain still rolling, but my finger was off the Throttle. It happend so quick, I didn't even have a chance to activate the Chain Brake.
After that, I told my Wife to Be, I'm going to try and charge a Pair on my Account and get a pair now, because I can't wait for the 2 Pairs I bought from eBay. I was able to get a pair with my Account. Now I have the 3 pairs I need to Cover my best Friend, and my Step Son and Myself when we all run Chain Saws. Bruce.

Can't agree more, I always wear mine.

As an aside, no names, no pack drill... but I knew one fellow who made a great point of wearing them, but he wore them backwards because the zips were easier to reach. He didn't realise there was no protection on the back side.

A little knowledge, etc...

Seems like when the chain hits the kevlar fibers it shouldn't matter which side was out. I do agree that they should be used as intended by the manufacturer.

What is a good brand of chaps to get, or are they all great.

I dont have a pair yet, and the wife wants some christmas ideas, I thought a pair of chaps would be a good idea.

I wear chaps just as I do wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle, I don't know if that is a good analogy but it works for me, I do not feel comfortable without either on. I have people tell me that it will never happen to them. Chainsaws do no discriminate against what they cut. For the minimal investment that it takes to get a pair of chaps and the seconds that it takes to get them on is worth every bit of protection that they provide. Granted you still can get cut, in the legs, while wearing them but you will not have to look back on the incident saying, "Damn, I wish I had put my chaps on." And if the wife had bought them for you and you get cut with out them on, watch out. Also do not forget the helmet either, can save the face a little from the nasty kicks. Safety is cheap, doctors are not.

I was wearing mine in the Bush on Monday, after it rained here for most of last week, even on the Weekend, and while walking in the Grass, and Weeds, while skidding out Tree Tops, they kept my Paint Legs dry, which was nice.
Until I got the Leg Straps adjusted right, the Chaps were a little Clumsy to wear when getting on and off the Tractor. After I got them adjusted, they were great to have on. Bruce.

Until I got the Leg Straps adjusted right, the Chaps were a little Clumsy to wear when getting on and off the Tractor. After I got them adjusted, they were great to have on.

Just like pants or shoes or anything else, they have to fit and be comfortable or people will not wear them. That's why I encourage people to try them on first - different brands may fit them differently.

Philbert

I have to be Honest here. I have No Idea, or How I managed this long with out them. They are great. I will never work in the Bush again without them.
When I start my Chain Saws, I get down on one knee, with the other knee on top of the Gas Tank and Air Filter, to hold down the Chain Saw to start it. Now I don't have to worry about a wet, or muddy knee any more.
I found it takes a bit of getting used to wearing them. The only fault I have found with them, is those stupid plastic buckle clips, and the belt for around your waist, don't stay tight for very long.
Would it be safe to try and put Velcro on the straps, and belt, as a back up, or not, or would it be wise to put a regular Leather Belt that you can put the Buckle pin through a hole in the belt, to keep them tighter?

I just learned that chaps in the shed do not protect me at all. 11 stitches to top of knee yesterday. I was LUCKY, could have been much worse. I guess I will wear my chaps for ALL cutting from now on.

Chaps will also provide a little padding in case you fall, bump into things, get tangled in rose bushes:censored: , or the chain hurls objects at high speed! Chaps may also help thwart a snake strike!:censored: If they're too hot to wear, its probably too hot to be cuttin'. The helmet and shield is every bit as good idea as chaps......and gloves....and boots

Latest posts

Back