Chaps - Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodLoon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I checked Bailey's for chaps and got confused. It would seem to me that more layers of protection is better, and the following seemed the most promising.
  • Husky has "apron" and"wrap" chaps with 4 and 6 layers for $65 & $80 respectively.
  • Laborville has 10-ply kevlar (XTreme) for $92 and 6 ply for $60 (or $70 for "full wrap")
But you guys have used this stuff, so I'd like your recommendations.

My son wants chaps. He's 25 and 6'5" and will use a chain saw once or twice a month on average, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

I'm wondering also, the Labonville chaps are nice but they have 6 ply, 10 ply and then what's called competition chaps which they say allow for greater range of motion. Which are the most comfortable to wear and most protective at the same time?

+2 on Labonville. Be sure that he gets the longest he can to cover his ankles. I am only 6'2" tall, but when I bought my first pair from Baileys in the late 80's they only had one length and it left the lower portion of my legs exposed.

I agree Labonville full wrap. Measure leg length long enough to cover down over your boot.

Also have the Labonville 6 ply and love em. Quality product
If you look on there site, they have video of a saw cutting each model chap in a test, same RPM etc..The 10 ply chaps actually got more of a cut through than the 6 ply which had no complete cut through. Even the 6 ply are hot this time of year so I imagine the 10 ply are even hotter.

I've got the L'ville 10ply comps and really like them a lot. Only thing I wish they had was a little stiffer webbing on the straps and belt loops (or better yet a full belt channel) so I could run whatever belt I wanted in them. I may get one stitched in later.

The 10 layer competition chaps are overkill for regular firewood cutting.
I use a pair when I'm racing my bikesaw 250cc Suzuki motor, running .404 race chain.
They're so thick they feel like youre wearing a sleeping bag on your legs.

But for regular firewood cutting I use a lighter pair of Labonvilles 6 layer full wrap chaps.

+5 for Lebonville chaps...

The 6 ply is plenty...like BloodOnTheIce said, for firewood cutting. Make sure to get them LONG...so ya got plenty of the material at your ankles, where sadly many chainsaw injuries occur.

And full wraps are the stuff...the "standard" chaps with the straps and clips exposed can be a pain in the woods...they git hung-up on brush and branches, and can send ya sprawlin'...

Have fun and Saw Safe :msp_thumbsup:

I'm not voting for one or the other brand, just that stating that the less expensive Husky Blue chaps, stopped a wide open 660 across the mid thigh in a nano second, didn't even rip my jeans, several years ago.

I say that to say, that cheap or not, get something on, the higher quality ones are better for obvious reasons, but don't anyone use that as an excuse to not wear them. I still don't wear them from time to time, but in general, you never know when a whoops is going to happen and irregardless of how "tough" you are, 50-100 dollars spent now sure beats a $200+-$20,000+ trip to get stitches or worse, as my only down time was 10 minutes to pull all of that fiber out of the bar cover and literally inside and around the clutch housing as it was a mess, LOL.

I really like them for brush busting through stickers and tops, my jeans last a lot longer. I have used Husky, Labonville and now Stihl. Have had no problems or major dislikes with any of them.

My experience,

Sam

Let's see here, I think we're up to +6 on the Labonville full wraps. I have had mine for probably 5 years now. I have said it many times on this site and am saying again, I never even knew there was such a thing as chaps till I got on AS. At first I thought it was like another OSHA thing, but some kind soul on AS put a link to a video which was mentioned previously. After watching that video I didn't use my saw again until my Labonvilles arrived. I virtually never run my saw without my chaps now, and regard Labonville as the best. JR

I will say what I always say when this comes up, why not just get protective trousers and stop all the hassle of getting caught up in brush and the added heat of wearing something over your normal trousers ? The chainsaw trousers of years ago were a pain but todays are a joy to wear depending on how much you want to spend. Remember that here in Europe we have to wear them so it may be that you don't have the range we have. I seem to recall Sherril did stock SIP which are a French brand and are pretty good at the top end of the range, Husky do very good ones as do Stihl. Paffneer / Strech Air are another good choice.
The trousers are classified by front only or all round protection and by speed of chain they can stop. Spend a few mins on the internet you may be suprised.

Wow!

I am stunned that there is such unanimity!

Although I was saddened when $70 changed to $102!
  • the $70 price turned into $86 after I specified size 3XL (I'm 6'2", my son is 6'5") - although it does seem fair since the material has to be expensive and the pad size bumps from 28" to 44"
  • the shipping on my order bumped by $16 - ironically buying them by themselves instead of adding them to my existing order actually costs less ($15)
I will get them, but I need to wait a few weeks.

Thank you all very much.

Back