New saw owner looking for safety gear advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to find out....their North American headquaters and distribution center is not 15 min down the road from me. AND they sell Factory Seconds at much reduced prices. I'm gonna stop by there today and hope to find that my foot fits the sizes they have the seconds in and save $100 or more.

Please let us know how you make out. Maybe I can send you some money to buy me a pair.

If you wanna be uber safety rectally puckered... then you should wear a hard hat while doing any cutting, in case of kick back...
chaps are a good idea

gloves eh whatever i find that I have less control while wearing gloves, so its a balance... besides you have to be pulling some very odd contortions to cut the back of your hand... or just plain stupid, especially with a modern brake equipped saw.

ear protection is up to you do you enjoy loud music and half heard conversation? if so don't wear any... ever...

Eye protection, yeah I guess you should wear something, but I feel the mesh masks are more than a little overkill, branches and whatnot smacking you in the face is uncomfortable and getting splinters stuck in you cheek sucks, but its not that bad and not going to kill you... so I would compromise and go with safety glasses or the bug eyez goggles

The safety boots are very clunky, so again its a trade off, do I want to be able to move quick or risk the chance of nicking my foot... If I spent most of my saw time cutting fire wood then the safety boots would be a consideration, but I don't so leather calks it is,

I tried the plastic helmet thing...don't like the way they fit, always pinching. Mine had the full ear protection attached and I find them too hot even in the winter. I ditched it and bought an aluminium logger helmet.

For ear protection at HD or Lowes they sell ear plugs on a hard plastic hoop:

Radians RB1150 Rad Hearing Band-23180044 at The Home Depot

I have 8-10 pairs of these, bough most on sale. I keep a pair on the tractor, wheeler, saw bag, range bag, truck, sawmill, shop, etc etc. No strings to tangle up, no nerf plugs to get lost & when you not using them they stay around your neck. I've been using them for 15 years or so and have only broken two pair.

I'd get the longer chaps, some mechanic's type gloves(big heavy gloves suck for sawing) & steel toe ankle coverage boots & your good to go. Unfortunately you will soon see the need for a second saw because it will happen...bar pinch..then your dead in the water. Look around here in the For Sale section for a small limbing saw or browse your local pawn shops. A 170 or 180(if your a Stihl guy) will be fine as a back-up.

So, update on the boots. I stopped by the Haix store yesterday and tried on a few pair of boots. They only had the Protector Pro (CE Class 1 rating) in my size as a Factory Second. I ended up buying the Protector Extreme (CE Class 2 rating) at full "in store" price of $311.

The Protector Extreme is a 7" high boot and I found that it wasn't very comfortable wearing it around the house - the boot is very stiff and seemed to pivot on the axis of my ankle which caused the top of the boot to press into my shin and the back of my leg instead of flexing with my foot movement. Now, this may have very well broke in over time, but I was hesitant to risk it on a $311 boot. I had walked around in the Protecor Pro in the store and it felt instantly comfortable. VERY comfortable, nearly as comfy as my already broken in Danner Quarry boots.

So, first thing this morning I stopped back by the store and returned the Protector Extreme and bought the Protector Pro (factory 2nd) boot which was $169. The Pro is very comfortable straight from the box and all reviews I have read on it state the same. It is a 9" tall boot and due to it being higher on my leg, the lower part of the boot is forced to flex around my ankle and not pivot as the Extreme had done.

I wanted the highest rated boot I could find, but I am happy with the Protector Pro. As I said it is very comfortable and even though it is a "factory 2nd" the lady assured me ANY flaws that made it a 2nd were only cosmetic and while it didn't come with their "new" boot 1-yr warranty, and structural (boot leaks water, etc) would still be covered, just not minor issues like if a eyelet pops off or something.

Just want to make a note on sizing. They run big. A whole size big. I normally wear a 10.5 M or E in work boots (depending on the brand) and an 11D in Ariat cowboy boots and I was a 9.5 M in 3 versions of the Haix chainsaw boots.

I tried the plastic helmet thing...don't like the way they fit, always pinching. Mine had the full ear protection attached and I find them too hot even in the winter. I ditched it and bought an aluminium logger helmet.

For ear protection at HD or Lowes they sell ear plugs on a hard plastic hoop:

Radians RB1150 Rad Hearing Band-23180044 at The Home Depot

I have 8-10 pairs of these, bough most on sale. I keep a pair on the tractor, wheeler, saw bag, range bag, truck, sawmill, shop, etc etc. No strings to tangle up, no nerf plugs to get lost & when you not using them they stay around your neck. I've been using them for 15 years or so and have only broken two pair.

I'd get the longer chaps, some mechanic's type gloves(big heavy gloves suck for sawing) & steel toe ankle coverage boots & your good to go. Unfortunately you will soon see the need for a second saw because it will happen...bar pinch..then your dead in the water. Look around here in the For Sale section for a small limbing saw or browse your local pawn shops. A 170 or 180(if your a Stihl guy) will be fine as a back-up.

Now I had the opposite on the helmets. Over the years I have tried any number of ear muffs or earbud hearing protectors, didnt like any of them, ear muffs always pinched my glasses, and the buds just didnt work as well and bugged me while in. I tried the husky forestry helmet in the store and the muffs worked really well and did not pinch on my eyeglass frames, non whatsoever, and seem to block loud high pitched sounds like the saw running but allow lower pitched, like conversations, or like the tractor engine. And not too hot. So thats what I use now, even weed whacking. I like the mesh screen, doesnt fog up and keeps oddball crap off your face.

working a trail crew the wild land FF in AK We work NFPA rated boots, Chaps helmets and plugs. I never could get used to muffs and I really hate the all in one screen muff deal. With plugs and glasses I felt I had better sight and situational awareness. Be it in the tree working or on the ground. I have seen more than one case of a helmet savings some one's life or at least the ability to chew food on their own. I have also seen what happens when some one does not wear a helmet more than once. what one would think would be a mild blow has ended in some one's death.

Wear a helmet, always kills me when we respond to const, motorcycle, you name it accidents where the now organ donor wasnt wearing a helmet..... kinda like a seat belt

I shall get off my soap box now.
GG

Safety sure has come a long way

39 years ago after I got back from Vietnam, I worked for a big tree company (big orange truck). The only safety equipment we had to wear was a plastic hard hat. My foreman didn't care if you we're naked, you better have your hard hat on your head. Early in orientation he emphasized hard hats and do not walk under any tree that had a climber in it. A new ground man didn't pay attention and walked under a tree that had a climber making his finishing cut. The new ground guy was hit in his head by a 12" diameter foot long piece of oak that fell 40'. The blow was on the side of his helmet. It hit with enough force that it knocked two rings off his fingers. It knocked him to the ground and he lay unconscious. He came to and walked around trying to find his lost rings. He quit the next day.
It amazed everyone just how much force was generated by such a relatively small piece of wood. The hard hat had performed way beyond what anyone expected. Our foreman didn't have to tell anyone on that crew to put on their hard hat. We didn't have chaps or safety boots.

number9, welcome to AS. I believe we have met (SS & Ft. Knox M105 trailer). Anyway, go with the 40" length, but the competition pair is probably overkill. You won't always want to wear a helmet, so get some separate ear and eye protection. I prefer muffs instead of plugs and bugz eye mesh googles instead of glasses, but get what you are most comfortable wearing. While you are shopping Bailey's pick up a copy of Dent's book - pretty dry reading but it could save your life while falling those trees when no PPE can. Here's the link: Bailey's - Professional Timber Falling by Douglas Dent

Be safe and I hope you find chainsawing as enjoyable as I do. Ron

number9, I missed this second page prior to posting. My comment about not always wearing a helmet wasn't meant to contradict the posts encouraging helmet use, just meant it as a general observation with respect to general cutting of downed trees. Ron

I'm about half tempted to pull the trigger on this Matterhorn 10-inch Steel Toe Chainsaw Boot #12277. It does state " 7 layers of Kevlar insulating lining that provides cut resistant saw jamming in case of a worse-case scenario" but again, not that the boot has been actually tested and met any certain protective boot spec as the Husky's and Viking's which state the Green Tree and CE Class 3 ratings.

That boot was just put to the test
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234133.htm#post4272237

(I replied to your thread as well, just copied the post over here because the boot info may be pertinent to someone else looking for boots)

Wow!!!!!

Glad you are ok and thank you for posting this.

If the Matterhorn boots are the ones I am thinking you have, I found during my recent boot search that they have been discontinued. Also, you'll find that the Labonville boots are now 2-ply kevlar instead of the 6-ply I've read they used to be. I settled on Haix boots - the Protector Pro - they are Chainsaw Protective Class1 rated (which means against a bar speed of 20m/s). I found a pair of factory seconds at the Haix NA Headquaters / boot store (I'm about 15min from them) for $169. Their website has an online store and you can shop their factory seconds listings - but I'd advise to call and ask if you don't see a model or size listed as the Protector Pro wasn't listed at all but they had them.

Again, glad you are okay and glad you shared your experience. I like my limbs and face and want to be able to use them the rest of my life. I've got 3 little ones that need to have their Daddy hold and run and play with them too. I take safety very seriously in everything I do. Like my Daddy used to always tell me - it only take a second to be paying for something for the rest of your life.

I have been riding sportbikes for a little better than 10yrs and during that time I've seen more than several people crash right in front of me with my own eyes and slide down the pavement at 70-80mph. Most of those were wearing proper protective riding gear and got up and walked away without a scratch (maybe a bruise or two) - some were not and paid for it. It only takes seeing that once to know which end result I want to have should I hit the pavement like that.

number9, welcome to AS. I believe we have met (SS & Ft. Knox M105 trailer). Anyway, go with the 40" length, but the competition pair is probably overkill. You won't always want to wear a helmet, so get some separate ear and eye protection. I prefer muffs instead of plugs and bugz eye mesh googles instead of glasses, but get what you are most comfortable wearing. While you are shopping Bailey's pick up a copy of Dent's book - pretty dry reading but it could save your life while falling those trees when no PPE can. Here's the link: Bailey's - Professional Timber Falling by Douglas Dent

Be safe and I hope you find chainsawing as enjoyable as I do. Ron

Yep, it's me Ron. Hope that M105A3 worked out good for ya - we still talk about those steaks

I did go with the 40" length and it's spot on. The competition chaps are thick, but I don't care, at least I shouldn't ever be wishing they'd have been a tad thicker. I've got tons of safety glasses and ear plugs around, but I'm gonna try and see how the huffs and screen on the helmet work out. Just wearing it around the house, they seem like they'll be okay, but won't really know until I get a chance to work in them. I'm definitely gonna wear the helmet at all times, wearing a helmet is 2nd nature to me anyways (been on dirtbikes since I was 4). Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll definately check it out. I haven't fell any trees yet, just cut a couple up that were already down. I'm going to read up / watch some videos and go find a smaller one all alone and in the clear on my land to practice as my first one. I've got several up by the road I plan to take down but I want to be comfortable and somewhat confident that I can at least put them in the general direction (away from the road) that I want them :msp_biggrin:

Back