Cheap and Simple "Adjustable" Damper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Buck Stove, bought 32 years ago and used in two locations, has four precut "slots" to adjust the main damper. I prefer to use the last one at night closing the damper to just a crack and also opening the door dampers just a little to allow the fire to burn slowly all night long. However, under certain conditions, the last setting is just a little too much closed and some smoke will come back in the house. Years ago I put this paper clip on the rod and can fine tune the damper to almost in the last slot but not quite. It works very well to control the draft, and, even more importantly, it's cheap and simple.;)

My Buck Stove, bought 32 years ago and used in two locations, has four precut "slots" to adjust the main damper. I prefer to use the last one at night closing the damper to just a crack and also opening the door dampers just a little to allow the fire to burn slowly all night long. However, under certain conditions, the last setting is just a little too much closed and some smoke will come back in the house. Years ago I put this paper clip on the rod and can fine tune the damper to almost in the last slot but not quite. It works very well to control the draft, and, even more importantly, it's cheap and simple.;)

cheap, and simple,,is always the best.

The only kind of dampers I've seen in stoves like yours were designed to be opened when feeding the stove with the front doors open and closed when the stove was up to operating temperatures. I'm not familiar with a type that was meant to be ran if various stages of having the damper open.

Sure looks like you've found a cheap fix...and easily adjustable, too.

I came in from work, and the wife had the Buck Stove cranked up good ! Just checked the damper, and it has four notches along the rod behind the handle. After the fire is good and hot I like to close it almost all the way down, and I can do that sometimes, but other times a little smoke will come out the around the top of the doors. I suspect it has to do with barometric pressure, wind, and maybe even outside temperature. The clip allows me to "fine tune" the damper opening to just right. :cheers:

BTW, we had snow flurries and a little sleet in Middle GA today while a friend and I were in the process of lighting a controlled burn on an area to be planted in a few days. I've been rained on while trying to burn, but this is the first time it snowed while I was carrying the drip torch. :dizzy: Pesky global warming:confused:

I have that Exact same Stove Roarin right now!! I usually put the Damper on the 2nd notch but I'd like to go more without going to the last notch, Now I'm gonna try your Paper clip Idea :) I Love My Buck Stove, It's Blowin out air thats in the High 200*s right now:) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back