Cheap lowering rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey all, I work for a local tree company full time as a climber and I'm starting to get a few weekend jobs that are handy money makers.
I have all my own gear and saws apart from rigging gear.

My question is, what is a cheaper alternative to Yale xtc as a lowering rope for use with a porty?

We use 1" xtc at work but it is much stronger than what I need for the small jobs I'll be doing, thinking something in the 12-14mm range. Can you use 3 strand multiline with a porty

We have 150 foot of the 1/2 inch 3 strand tree master. that rope takes a beating we run it through a porty all the time it'll hockle up especially when new, but it does get better. For a few bucks more you can get a 1/2" double braid from a few different manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Husky ropes are a great bang for the buck.

On a side note, I've never understood the logic of using old climb lines for rigging. My climb line was always my least stressed rope, and if I didn't trust it to hold my skinny add up in a tree, I sure wouldn't trust it to rig with.

You might also consider All Gear Forestry Pro and Yale XTC 12 half inch lines. I use them quite a bit with the Rig 'N Wrench, the AFB and with the Stein RC-1000 and RC-2000 friction brakes. Being 12 strand single braids, they don't milk... so you can order them with sewn eyes on each end and swap ends each day to keep them wearing more evenly. I use steel carabiners with them, and webbing loops for the loads... choke it, clip it, cut it, drop it. Both ropes are priced quite reasonably.

I use 1/2 multilingual and beat the crap out of it. Use it in portawrap, ring slings, everything. Bag it instead of rolling and almost never hockles

On a side note, I've never understood the logic of using old climb lines for rigging. My climb line was always my least stressed rope, and if I didn't trust it to hold my skinny add up in a tree, I sure wouldn't trust it to rig with.

Dude, it sounded to me that he was lowering twigs! 12 -14mm he is looking for,, his old climb-line came to mind,,

Jeff :cool:

For smaller branches and tops, especially on the conifers we deal with, they aren't heavy, usually long, awkward and in tight spots with breakable stuff around, so an old climbing line is more than adequate as you really are only using it for control.

For bigger pieces, we break out the 5/8 or 3/4 lines.

Spend the cash: Dynasorb.

I'm on my second 150' length of the 9/16 and it is worth every single penny. I trust it with my life and my climbers' life.

IMG_20160708_173322_zpscufn2rka.jpg

I guess my main question is can you run a 3 strand braided twisted through a porty? We don't use it at work and the nearest arbor shop is a few hours away so haven't been there to speak with them

Latest posts

Back