Cheap Rim Sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskitoter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is the second cheap rim sprocket I have tried where the center hole is way off center. Notice the chain slack in the pic. The chain pulls up flush when I rotate the cluth 180 degrees. It's a small 7-spline 8t for .325.

Rim_sprocket.jpg

Edit. I tried the first one last year when I first switched from 3/8 to .325. I've just been using a 7t sprocket that works fine - the center hole is actually in the center of the sprocket. It really needs the 8t and I remembered it when ordering some other parts.

R U sure it’s the rim? Did u check the clutch bearing or sprocket nose?

Who’s brand of rim? China?

I just put some China/huztl rims on two of my saws they seem ok and concentric.

Rim worn out? The chain links on the bottom actually wear there way into the rim. I’ve seen some guys run rims so low they crack in half. The minute I see the roundness gone and the chain starts to wear into the rim it’s gonzo. I like my bar and chain rollerized running smooth.

I've ordered packs of 10 AM Chinese rims that were just like the budgie said...cheap, cheap. And they are beautifully machined, actually as good as I've seen. But this has not always been the case about 5ish years ago there were faults easily picked on them all over the place. But the 10x.404 & 10x3/8 are really nice & wear just fine comparable to OEM. I am hard pressed to say anything nice about China saw products but the rims I've got recently in 10packs have been as good as I've seen AM or not. But as I said I've had shockers in the past. At $17 for a 10 pack delivered, I ain't driving 1hr to pay $33 for 1!! from the stealership.

Got a chance to look at it today. Unlike the first one where it is obvious it isn't centered, the drum hole appears to be centered on this one. It looks like maybe one of the square holes on the outside is not quite right.

I don't have a file that is small enough to enlarge the square. Would you try running it? Will it wear in and seat right?

I've ordered packs of 10 AM Chinese rims that were just like the budgie said...cheap, cheap. And they are beautifully machined, actually as good as I've seen. But this has not always been the case about 5ish years ago there were faults easily picked on them all over the place. But the 10x.404 & 10x3/8 are really nice & wear just fine comparable to OEM. I am hard pressed to say anything nice about China saw products but the rims I've got recently in 10packs have been as good as I've seen AM or not. But as I said I've had shockers in the past. At $17 for a 10 pack delivered, I ain't driving 1hr to pay $33 for 1!! from the stealership.

$33? that is absurd, most I ever paid was $8 and I thought that was a lot. EBay is a good source I've seen one Stihl rims for as little is 4 bucks.

Yes it IS absurd but that's what Jo-Blow public pays off the street if he walks into a brick'n'mortar Stihl shop, that's the MSRP list price! Here's a pic of some Chincy .404 sprockets I got for $17 (10-pk delivered). If you stack them up perfectly all the machining cutouts line up perfectly.1562533119028-1976594176.jpg

Only had one China rim. It came to me on a saw. The inside looked good, but the flash on the outside had me questioning it plus it went loose and tight like OP. My guy said run it it would wear in. He was right. I really don't repair saws for people, I just re-build what i can find. For me it's OK to pay the piper for Oregon or OEM rims.

Latest posts

Back