Cheap seedling protection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone out there got any ideas for cheap/homemade remedies for seedling protection from squirrels/rabbits? I don't want to spend alot/any money. Will anything around the house work?

Try something called hardware cloth (at least in my neck of the woods). It looks like heavy duty screen material and comes in rolls that are 3 or 4 feet wide. I comes in various size weaves, I'd probably try something with a 1/2" pattern. Make a cylinder around your seedlings so the buggers can't reach through and strip leaves. Weave the cut end together or use some ties or something. Push it into the soil a bit (don't damage any roots) and hold it down with some landscape staples.

I'm not an arborist and I don't play one on TV but thats what I would have done a couple of weeks ago when we were discussing beverages and dingle dangles.:D

My little hardware cloth prison I made to protect my little Oak lasted about two years, then one day there was a little hole in the soil next to, and inside the cage. You guessed it, a chipmunk dug under and ate the tree, at the time about 8" high.
I don't know how they make it on their own.
Maybe the trick is to plant about a hundred in the area you want an Oak, and cross your fingers and hope one makes it.

There is a product called dried blood, it's high in nitrogen and repels critters, but must be reapplied after rainfalls.

Keep us updated on your Oaks!

Chipmunks are tricky. I've found they are best lured to a feeder and then quickly dispatched with a hockey stick. "He shoots, He scores!!!":)

"Chipmunks are tricky. I've found they are best lured to a feeder and then quickly dispatched with a hockey stick. "He shoots, He scores!!!" "

I was going to suggest a slingshot or a BB gun, but it looks like you have already got a decent solution.:)

.22 shells only cost about 2 cents per....:D

Dan

Latest posts

Back