Cheap top handle. Johncutter G2500 VS Neo-Tec 12" Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odinandrota

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, going to buy a cheap small top handle saw primarily to keep in my Ranger or on the tractor for impromptu sawing while out in the woods. Any experience with these saws or a better cheap option?

Thanks.

Used Husky 335's go for sub $200 around here, id much rather have one of those than a chinese thing that may or may not run when I need it to. I keep my 335 in my truck toolbox, with no fuel in it and a can of that premix non-ethanol fuel. If I need it I pull it out, throw some fuel in and go to work. Has saved me a few times

Buy which ever one is easier to get.
If they're about the same to get, buy the joncutter, it's been around longer and has more reviews, which are all good.
I have a slightly older version of this saw, it needed a new fitting on the fuel line it was too small and leaked and the oil line fell off the pump but it has been fine otherwise.

I carry it around on the atv, I dont like to use an expensive saw for that as the saw may get wrecked at anytime.

Buy which ever one is easier to get.
If they're about the same to get, buy the joncutter, it's been around longer and has more reviews, which are all good.
I have a slightly older version of this saw, it needed a new fitting on the fuel line it was too small and leaked and the oil line fell off the pump but it has been fine otherwise.

I carry it around on the atv, I dont like to use an expensive saw for that as the saw may get wrecked at anytime.
Thanks for the reply, this was my thought exactly.I do the same with rifles, the old SKS lives on the Ranger and I don't stress about potential damage. This saw will serve that same purpose.

I clicked on this thread with the expectation of being lead to a video link of two small crappy saws being hurled via a large fixed slingshot into a cinder block was to see which one exploded more fully....... but no. :(
It may well get tossed and destroyed, but not intentionally. Regardless I would only be out 100 dollars.

Hello, going to buy a cheap small top handle saw primarily to keep in my Ranger or on the tractor for impromptu sawing while out in the woods. Any experience with these saws or a better cheap option?

Thanks.
Id say; check it out and make up your own opinion based on your needs! At that cost what you have to loose?

Do you know of a $100 dollar option for a cheap top handle saw to bounce around in the bed of the ranger? The cheapest Echo I see is $350.
Why do you want a top-handled saw? These are invariably more expensive, and a cheap one will cost more than a better saw with a conventional handle.

I suspect you are wishing to "one hand" a lot of cuts. Please be aware that isn't what top-handled saw are supposed to be doing. They are built that way for arborists to use while climbing trees, and they are inherently more dangerous for anyone to use, much less folks with less experience "one handing" while they are standing on some insecure place other than the ground.

I have the same saw as the joncutter 2500. I bought it on amazon, but it is not labeled joncutter. Farmertec, I believe, just puts the joncutter name on it. If anything, the joncutter 2500 might have had a couple more quality checks than mine. I have used mine as my climbing saw for about 3 years now. It has been a fantastic saw. Light as an echo 2500, and plenty of power for any trimming I do, up to removal of branches up to 8 inches or so. I've used it to section down spars, but by the time you get down to a 12 inch or so spar it's struggling a bit.

I am not a pro. The saw probably only gets used a few times a month. After 3 years of pretty rough use it is still holding up great. Only issue is I've noticed that recently when cold it will sometimes dribble a little fuel when I pump the purge bulb. I haven't tried to track down and fix that yet. For my level of use it has been great.

I'm currently transitioning to an echo 350T for in tree use, just cuz treestuff had a good sale on them. It's a great saw for me, but definitely heavier and more tiring to use in the tree. The 2500 starts with a flick of the wrist, while the echo requires I steady and brace myself better to get a good, strong pull due to larger engine. But echo definitely has more power.

But, not being critical I hope, I question the advisability of routinely holding a piece of wood and cutting with one hand. If a branch is so small and flimsy that it needs to be held to cut, I think it would be much safer to use a hand saw. Not sure what scenarios you encounter, but imo a small, rear handle saw used with both hands is much much safer to use for any situation other than when in the tree.

I bought a Tanaka top handle a few years ago new for I think $179. Tanaka has been around awhile and made a pretty good name for themselves. Not saying they are better than the neo-tec, but there are certainly more parts floating around , and used parts as well.

Back