Cheapest CSM setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Me and my buddy were talking about chainsaw milling and I said how (relatively) cheap it is to get into compared to a bandsaw or a legit sawmill setup. He disagreed with me. He thinks you need ~$2,000 to get setup with a saw, mill, bar, and 2-3 chains and a ladder or something to make your first cut. I told him I'm in to my mill setup for under 1k, he says I'm the exception to the rule.

So I thought I'd post here to see who has a super cheap mill setup and what it cost them. The only requirement is a mill that will cut 30" or greater.

I'll start it off
Ms660 off of craigslist -$500
42" Oregon bar - $90
Panther mill 48" -$189
2 ripping chains -$110
Aluminum ladder off of craigslist - $20

All for a grand total of $909

Whose running a setup cheaper than me?

$1000 doesn't sound unreasonable to get started
10 Years ago my 076 cost AU$500, the BIL mill (mark 1) cost ~AU$250. I made my own log rails from some scrap metal, 42" GB bar and chains cost about AUD$250 so all up ~AU$1000 or <US$800

This is from Will Malloff's book on CS milling and it shows how cheaply you can make a mill.
Basicalaskan.jpg

$500 for an 076 with bar and new Stihl crosscut chain. Replaced the nut on the clutch.

36 inch Alaskan, can't even remember, believe they're 200 ish.

2x10. Already had.

Pretty basic setup that has milled a ton of lumber. Some of which were turned into dimensional with a circular saw I've had for 15 years. Not the most finished lumber, not the easiest process and definitely not the most efficient. Sure beats not having materials when you like to dabble in woodworking though.

$300 bucks for a well worn but solid 066 w/ a 36" bar.
$250 for a 36" new Alaskan mill
$0 for an old 2X12

I bought ripping chain, then left it at home, so milled 500 BF of slabs with the bar and chain that came with the saw. A little slower with a worn out full comp chain, but I brought home beautiful slabs for a total of $550, plus a couple gallons of gas and a half gallon or so of oil.

I'm in for about $160 for a set up like the Malloff one BobL posted.. $100 for a second hand 2100 , $50 for a used 48" bar, $10 for the ready rod, nuts, washers...
A buddy asked me up mill up some stuff that was to large for his band mill...Not wanting to use my large dual powerhead saw , and knowing my other alaskan mill was not up to the size, I put together a mid. size one in an hour or so.. Worked great and I will probably keep it mostly intact, just add some small mods(handles, plastic runners, outboard oil...)
G Vavra

Well, as posted in 2012 $450 for a complete setup with an 088 (But the pics are lost):
I know I've often downplayed the need for more cubes. I was constantly advising "you don't need an 880, a 660 will do.".

Well it will UNTIL you see one so cheap it has to join your equipment pile.

attachment.php

View attachment 252280

088, circa 2000
Unmodified
Moderate usage. just tuned (he couldn't get it running right after it had sat around) and fired on 3rd pull when cold to the touch.

With, as pictured, 2 cases, 36" bar. several chains, tools.
An Alaskan Mark III and a bar guard.

Now I'm not sure why the previous owner only bought a 36" bar for hardwood around here.

So, for $450, did I do good?

Where to get DP muffler and other 088 specific parts? Apparently Bailey's no longer carries parts online for the 088/880.

Here's my first set up,
Homelite 401 w. 30in bar- 69cc's -$100 (craigslist)
bolts and nuts - $5
added a oiler for the tip of the bar from an old snowblower gas tank & already had a ladder.

Just enough to get into the game and get my feet wet.

Attachments

• Chainsaw Mill.jpg
    Chainsaw Mill.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back